Quantcast

uk car vs usa car

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
ukjason said:
have you seen the new civic
Yes...and the kids with more money or credit cards than sense will be having their way with them in short order. The Civic "R" is pretty cool, but more than likely will not get imported here.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
ALEXIS_DH said:
lol.
the seat is a great car. i love it.
but no comparison. the leon cupra r retails here for US$36k. a saleen s7????? they dont even sell those, but just a regular mustang saleen "run of the mill" is more than twice the price of leon cupra r.
so no comparisons apply.
I was comparing the s7 to his noble. If I had to match an american car with his seat, it'd probably throw out the dodge srt-4.

for my own personal tastes, I would totally love to have a leon cupra r here in the states, and i would take it over most escalades or excursions for what I do with a car every day. The way gas prices are going, I'll bet more americans will start to think that way too. At least the ones in cali paying $3.50/gal

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ukjason said:
ok so i have another question do you all drive automatics and why do all american cars have big engine like 5.7 litres when yet my seat leon cupra r has a 2.0ltr turbo engine producing 225 bhp 0-62 in 5.9 sec and top speed of 150mph
try 0-60 in 6.9 according to this page: http://www.carpages.co.uk/seat/seat-leon-cupra-review-part-1-06-03-05.asp . and for what it's worth it's just another VW Group product. £18,380 is ~$35k USD, and that will buy you a quite snazzy Audi A3 3.2 DSG, or an Evo, or an STI (the i is now upper case as of 2006)...

J

JRB

captainpolution said:
I can't stand it anymore. The UK sucks with their nasty ass teeth and ****. **** them.
I approve. Screw Tony Blair. :mumble:

Wait - I started to listen to the BBC everyday.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Wait I drive a gas guzzling SUV with 4.0 liter enging producing a whoping 215hp. It gets 12.3mpg hwy, and 10 while towing a boat. Damn us Americans and our American cars.

Oh wait it was made in Solihull, England.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maxyedor said:
Wait I drive a gas guzzling SUV with 4.0 liter enging producing a whoping 215hp. It gets 12.3mpg hwy, and 10 while towing a boat. Damn us Americans and our American cars.

Oh wait it was made in Solihull, England.
Rover whore.

My car gets 30mpg...and pumps out a whopping 120bhp. Dy-noes-mite.

And this thread makes baby Jesus cry.

Dumb question for the brit boy that I've always wondered (and google could never solve):

What side is the shifter on? Lefthand side would drive me nuts.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
try 0-60 in 6.9 according to this page: http://www.carpages.co.uk/seat/seat-leon-cupra-review-part-1-06-03-05.asp . and for what it's worth it's just another VW Group product. £18,380 is ~$35k USD, and that will buy you a quite snazzy Audi A3 3.2 DSG, or an Evo, or an STI (the i is now upper case as of 2006)...
if the leon cupra r were to be sold in the US, i think its price would be closer to the wrx. that its is price range here and in uk, but our taxes suck. wrx is 35-36k here.
the cupra R in seat, is kinda like the M in bmw, or the S in audi. it carries a signnificant premium over a non R.

an sti/evo is 52-53 grand here. :hot: and last year, the US spec sti (the 2.5L) was 63 grand by grey market import.

there is turbo leon 1.8t, 180hp same engine, different ecu tuning. that retails for 26k, sans the 18in wheels, sans brembos.
that one i guess would be pretty competitive in the US, it would probably retail well under 20k.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
blue said:
Rover whore.

Dumb question for the brit boy that I've always wondered (and google could never solve):

What side is the shifter on? Lefthand side would drive me nuts.
Yes I am a Rover whore, but my Rover's chassis has gouges from rocks, so at least I ain't a yuppy.

British cars have the shifter on the left, the clutch on the left, and the gas on the right, the brake is still in the middle. It is really odd, but I gues they think the same thing about our cars.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
BurlyShirley said:
It might work differently in Canadia, but people without jobs cant afford excursions here unless they're drug dealers. Lots of folks have big trucks, but like I said, construction/landscaping/farming are pretty much all of TNs economy, besides nashville and memphis...trucks are a necessity.
Yeah, you have the soccermoms with escalades, etc. but like I said, apparently they can afford it, so whatever... its not my money.
I don't know about this... cars are such a status symbol that often people spend huge amounts of their income on them. I was on an indian rez in Montana and even though everyone was dirt poor many of the cars were shiny, big American trucks costing upwards of $30k.

We drive bigger cars with bigger engines because (until now) we don't have to pay as much for gas over here. Plus unlike europe we have way more of a car culture and cars have become ways to flaunt our wealth. Different cultures and our ability to pay for huge cars is why we drive them. For example I was laughed at when I suggested to my friend that he should get a Civic instead of another SUV. Clearly efficient cars are gay.

But my car is only a 1.6 liter. And it has 53 horsepower. But this is probably one of the stupidest threads ever. The original poster is a bot (which is short for ROBOT).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
To all PAWNed :monkey:s who happened to catch the thread about council housing, this is what I was talking about.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
there is turbo leon 1.8t, 180hp same engine, different ecu tuning. that retails for 26k, sans the 18in wheels, sans brembos.
that one i guess would be pretty competitive in the US, it would probably retail well under 20k.
like i said SEAT is part of the VW/Audi group, so it's a 5 door Golf 1.8T. big deal, we get that same coilpack-eating car here, too...