Quantcast

Ullrich and Basso are out of the Tour. (Xpost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yep it's true... I think that the UCI should just get over it and create an Superchemical class for their events and let the dumb arses race (and kill them selves with the crap they'll end up using). *shrugs*

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
people have been known to do spoof sites this is the interweb but there are lots of sources now.

i didnt see the msnbc link but am looking at it now.

i think ALL of the rides need to boycott the race.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
people have been known to do spoof sites this is the interweb but there are lots of sources now.

i didnt see the msnbc link but am looking at it now.

i think ALL of the rides need to boycott the race.
Note that it was their respective teams that threw out Ullrich and Basso not the ASO.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I haven't been following all this doping stuff real closely, but my impression is that they (UCI, the teams, etc) are at least trying to keep the sport basically clean. That's very good to see considering all the crap going on in baseball.

This kind of thing just makes me a bigger fan of cycling. Yes, it sucks that it's happening, but it seems that the people with power are doing the right thing (generally speaking) - and even if there is no one in next year's tour that I've ever heard of, at least there will still be some integrity in the sport.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
I haven't been following all this doping stuff real closely, but my impression is that they (UCI, the teams, etc) are at least trying to keep the sport basically clean. That's very good to see considering all the crap going on in baseball.

This kind of thing just makes me a bigger fan of cycling. Yes, it sucks that it's happening, but it seems that the people with power are doing the right thing (generally speaking) - and even if there is no one in next year's tour that I've ever heard of, at least there will still be some integrity in the sport.
Yep, there is just as much of this going on in other sports they are just not doing anything about it. Imaging the rioting, pillaging and burnination that would occur if a bunch of top soccer players were pulled out of the world cup?? Other sports just don't want to lose the money with a bad image.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
"The pressure from the organisers, the UCI, the sponsors, and the non-affected teams has been intense"
Of course it has but

Riis said:
"It's my responsibility to make this decision and suspend Ivan from the race," Riis said. "I have to think about the team, that is now the most important thing. I trust Ivan Basso, but now it is up to him and his lawyers to show he has nothing to do with this affair."
Team spokesman Stefan Wagner (T-Mobile) said that the team had received documents from the ASO which made it "impossible" for the team to further work with the three.

"We have only now gotten the evidence," said Wagner. "As soon as there were suspicions, we asked to see the files. We don't know why we didn't get them until today. The facts in the case contradict Ullrich's claims of innocence so strongly that we had to take this step, in order to follow our goal of a clean sport."

"Our stance was always unequivocal," said T-Mobile's spokesman Christian Frommert, in a statement. "If we are presented with evidence, which leads us to doubt the credibility of one or other of our riders, then we act upon it immediately. That is the case now."
"At first we had no reason to doubt the riders' statements. Therefore, we couldn’t make any decision merely based on speculations, rumours and guesses," said Frommert. But the situation has now changed. "Accordingly, we will now live up to our responsibility towards making cycling a clean sport."

Although it hasn't yet been established that Ullrich and Sevilla doped, it has been proven that they had contact with the doctor, which they lied about to T-Mobile.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
DaveW said:
Yep it's true... I think that the UCI should just get over it and create an Superchemical class for their events and let the dumb arses race (and kill them selves with the crap they'll end up using). *shrugs*

dude, its been done, its called the UCI pro tour

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Man I so wanted to see Ullrich pull it this year. I think he was due. I hope to god all this stuff is true because if it isnt then I take back this:

F*ck all these guys, and F*ck the tour. How many people racing this year are sitting in their $300 a night otels going, "whew, I sure am glad I dont go to spain to get my EPO and blood boosters".

What about Lance... all these guys are doping and he was kicking ALL their asses like it was no big deal. What does that say about him? Is he just the biggest doper of all? He still had a few tours in him I think... maybe he was tipped off that there was going to be a MAJOR crackdown next year so he just got out.

This kind of thing is just crazy, its about time they got serious about it but It makes me really look back at all the badasses of years past and think... "bah, they were just all on it, thats why they were so fast".

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow. Sad. I want to believe it's not true. They lied about associating with the evil doc. That doesn't prove they did anything, but it doesn't look good and it shifts the burden of proof to them to prove they're innocent. Good luck with that. :nonono:

David Millar might be the only clean guy this year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
golgiaparatus said:
Exactly. Its their jobs, how can you compete when everyone else is on it.
What would you do if someone came to you and offered to give you a few million bucks to do the thing you love most in life and all you had to do was take some potentially dangerous drugs under the watchfull eye of a doctor?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Wow. Sad. I want to believe it's not true. They lied about associating with the evil doc. That doesn't prove they did anything, but it doesn't look good and it shifts the burden of proof to them to prove they're innocent. Good luck with that. :nonono:

David Millar might be the only clean guy this year.
Don't forget about Meirhaghne...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The following riders were named in the ongoing Operación Puerto doping case by Spanish investigators on Thursday

Astaná-Würth

Michele Scarponi (I)
Marcos Antonio Serrano (Sp)
David Etxebarria (Sp)
Joseba Beloki (Sp)
Angel Vicioso (Sp)
Isidro Nozal (Sp)
Unai Osa (Sp)
Jaksche Joorg (G)
Giampaolo Caruso (I)
CSC

Ivan Basso (I)
Caisse D'Epargne-Iles Baleares

Constantino Zaballa (Sp)
Saunier Duval

Carlos Zarate (Sp)
Ag2r

Francisco Mancebo (Sp)
T-Mobile

Jan Ullrich (G)
Oscar Sevilla (Sp)
Phonak

Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Sp)
Jose Ignacio Gutierrez (Sp)
Communidad de Valencia

Vicente Ballester (Sp)
David Bernabeu (Sp)
David Rodriguez (Sp)
Jose Adrian Bonilla (Sp)
Juan Gomis Lopez (Sp)
Eladio Jimenez Sanchez (Sp)
David Latasa (Sp)
Ruben Plaza (Sp)
Jose Luis Martinez (Sp)
Manuel Llorent (Sp)
Antonio Olmo (Sp)
David Munoz (Sp)
Javier Cherro (Sp)
Javier Pascual (Sp)former rider and now an official
Unibet.com

Carlos Garcia Quesada (Sp)
Riders retired or suspended for doping

Roberto Heras (Sp)
Angel Casero (Sp)
Santiago Perez (Sp)
Tyler Hamilton (USA)
Igor Gonzalez Galdeano (Sp)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
The following riders were named in the ongoing Operación Puerto doping case by Spanish investigators on Thursday

<snip>half the population of spain</snip>
Dang that's a lot of riders. How many people typically ride in the TOF?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Heidi's right, it's silly to have two threads about this going. If you wanna discuss this, go join the thread in the roadie forum :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.