Quantcast

Ultegra for DH?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I have a morewood izumi that i'm building up as a race rig for next season. As it is now, its heavy as hell. However, a boxxer wc is going on there and its getting lightened up. I have an ultegra proform (I think it has 9-Speed) and I was wondering if the ultegra would hold up to DH, and maybe some trails...

or should I just go with Sram PG970DH and x.9?

any input?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
ultegra works great until you smack it into something, then it gets costly to replace. 105 works well, is light, and are really cheap. I transitioned from Shimano road stuff to Sram short cages, very pleased too!
thats what I was kinda thinking of. ultegra to sram x.0 or x.9.

ultergra casette would be be lighter/ more effective than sram pg970dh, right?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Although previous to this seaon, i took about 6 years off from riding/racing, when i did, it was typicallly on a road cassette... typically a Ultegra R.Der. (compared to Durace, it's not that prices! :D) anyhow, i had no problems, it worked extremely well actually. obviously road der. needs a little more attention, as they're not meant to be bombarded w/ dust, grit & grime all the time... but it wasn't that bad. Most people run them since it's a bit of a quicker, crisper shift (when working properly & clean)

However this year, although my race "comeback" was very limited, i've been on a Sram X.0 r. der. I'm EXTREMELY impressed w/it & will continue running it.... however if i were to switch back to Shimano, i would probably consider a road cassette again... unless i was able to get a short cage XT or XTR r der.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Interesting to see people actually like the 105:s and Ultegra:s for DH. From what I have experienced, they are really weak. Even though you don´t hit anything, they snap from just vibrations. The springs gets mushy from vibrations too. They´re just not made for it.
Seriously, by X.9, great value, super durable and reliable shifting.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Interesting to see people actually like the 105:s and Ultegra:s for DH. From what I have experienced, they are really weak. Even though you don´t hit anything, they snap from just vibrations. The springs gets mushy from vibrations too. They´re just not made for it.
Seriously, by X.9, great value, super durable and reliable shifting.
Exact opposite experience for me. I blew up X9's as fast as it installed them then switched the shimano road derailluers, w/ sram rocket triggers and didn't look back (and converted a few others as well who experienced the same woes) I have not been as impressed with the newer 10 spd 105/Ultegra's as I was with the 9spd versions I should add, and I would never would have switched if it weren't for Srams shimano compatible Rocket trigger shifter as keeping my index finger on the brake at all times is crucial to me. Sram discontinued the Rocket triggers now, only offering the Attacks which I find shift poorly and feel like poo.

Therfore it's time to change it up next yr. The 2nd gen X9's are supposedly better than the 1st gen's that turned me off, along w/ the more adjustable shifters, plus sram's easier to adjust and keep adjusted 1:1 ratio I was going to switch back.....However Shimano's new High Normal shadow mtn d's are getting amazing reviews, and combined w/ the new thumb thumb trigger's I think XT rear d's w/ XTR (multiple downshifts at once) or XT (1 downshift) shifters edge out Srams offerings as the #1 privateer set up for 08.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I've ran an ultegra derailleur this past season, was very happy with it. Probably switching over to a X.0 no reason just want to try it out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've had x.9 and X.0 for 2 seasons and no problems. My Sunday Elite came with Ultegra this year and I had zero problems either. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you have a road cassette.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
I have run an Ultergra delrailer with Dura Ace Cassette and XTR chain. It has worked great!!!! Timeline: Sonoma 2006 US Champs, to Mammoth twice and 5 weekends racing at Fontana + I trip down San Juan trail in the pouring rain, telonics a few times and all around Aliso. I have crashed hard several times, still works great. Cassete and chain are just staring to wear out.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
don't do it bro ! i've gone through 2 ultegra's and the 105 i have on my rig is holding up well . ultegra's are expensive and they are not meant to be on a dh bike . i have one on my road bike and that's where an ultegra is meant to be.

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
You simply can't beat the performance, quality, strength, and price of SRAM's new X.9 shortcage for DH/4X. PERIOD

Don't even bother with Shimano ROAD (HINT HINT they were designed for ROAD!) derailleurs. They clack against your drop-outs like no other, break easily, and don't come with the awesome support from SRAM.

My 69 cents

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've had an ultegra on my bike since april with no problems. Its been to 8 or 9 races this year. I've used it with 105 and dura ace cassettes. I just got a new pg970 road cassette that I'm going to try.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I've run a 105 short cage for years and switched to an X.9 super short cage at the beginning of this season. Two races later, after a lowside slide out just before the finish line that killed the x.9, I was back on the 105 and Sram rocket shifters. The 105 was my back-up, but has again become my old 'stand-by'. I've also got a tiagra short cage as my spare now.........you can find those at like $35 or less if you hunt the roadie sales at the chain bike shops and e-tailers!!!