Quantcast

Ultimate Fighting Championship

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Kevin said:
Dont judge, you dont know those people. Its a sport just like MTB and people like doing it for whatever reason they want.
I did kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu for many years and my teacher was actually one of the first people to fight in the UFC. ( Remco Pardoel in UFC 2 in Japan)
This is not dumb fighting, its professional athletes competing against eachother knowing exactly what theyre doing.
yeah I was there...I thought Remco would go far until Gracie chocked him out with his own gi....then the next time he showed up he quit once he was mounted....I didn't get that part...D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
I agree with most of what you say. I have a good friend that is very skilled in martial arts. He teaches them even. Trouble is, he has night terrors and sleeps locked in a separate room from his wife. I guess I don't understand what makes it cool to watch. I didn't say these cats lack skill, I said fighting for fun or work seems stupid. Not that they are stupid, the act is.
There is a belief that these guys are the best physical athletes competing in the most important game, fighting. If push came to shove, literally, being good with a ball or a bike will not protect you.

The appeal for me is the idea that you don't need to take sh*t from anyone. The reality is everyone has to take crap from family, authority figures, etc; even UFC champions have to bend to someone.

Fighting is a miserable occupation, and usually only the financial desperate participate. But I have studied Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and I enjoyed learning how to fight and well as sparring (or should I say getting the crap choked out of me).

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
BMXman,
I dont think Remco could have ever beaten Gracie. He's just to slow for that.
That time he gave up ( I think it was against Orlando Weit) he had an injury if I remember correctly.
To bad he stopped fighting on top level cause he did have a lot of potential.
A while after he joined the Golden Glorie team things started going downhill, the level of training at the gym really started to drop too so I started training somewhere else.
At that time he was working as a bouncer and I dont think that did him any good either.
I believe the gym is allmost out of bussiness these days. I feel sorry for his dad though. He started that gym a long time ago and he was still teaching the first 2 years I trained there.
To bad Remco had to flush it down the drain...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
loco said:
It's not that fighting is something to completely avoid, but fighting for fun is stupid. Choosing a career that has you fighting seems stupid to me. It's not something I like watching. Like I said, it seems stupid. If it floats your boat, that's cool.

*nice to see that goodtobeirie found something to be confrontational about herself. yay

ahahaha...pull the spandex outta yer butt...seems like someone took it personally...wonder why??...could it be because you are the ignorant one around here...

and your asterisk sentence makes no sense...try again... :rolleyes:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
goodtobeIrie said:
ahahaha...pull the spandex outta yer butt...seems like someone took it personally...wonder why??...could it be because you are the ignorant one around here...

and your asterisk sentence makes no sense...try again... :rolleyes:
You gotta a real fetish there with wedgies.

J

JRB

goodtobeIrie said:
ahahaha...nope...I just know his are always in a bunch... :thumb: especially if you don't kiss his ass like the head moderator he thinks he is...
I have never pretended to be a mod. Get it straight before you decide you know me so well. :thumb:

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
why did this thread get so serious?? i have been here on the monkey for a little more than 6 months, when i first joined everyone was witty. now everyone has a smart ass comment to make, i now can see what Biggins was talkin about in his 2week notice thread.

this toppic as far as i could tell was supposed to be about fun and havin a good time, i know that some dont (appreciate) for lack of a better term fighting, and i totaly respect that. but dam, cummon, stop actin like little baby's with everyone's personal attacks.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I was never a fan of boxing, or any kind of fighting for that matter. However I have been following along ever since SPIKE had the reality series for the UFC. Not to mention that I have a very good (geeky friend) that is very into MMA(He is a Kenpo or something like that blackbelt), so he has been helpful in explaining the intricacies.

The fights that were on the other night were all very entertaining and as a relatively uniformed person I can see the chess match that is occuring along with the physicality of it all.

There are obviously people and contestants that get into this stuff for all the wrong reasons, but everyone at the top of the game seem to be dedicated, studied althletes. It is a far cry from "toughman" competitions, that is for sure.

I have been liking it.