Quantcast

Ultimate Pro BRS-80RT repair stand

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a stand... hopefully in the next week or so. I want a tripod base and a quick release style clamp (not sure what else to call it). These 2 criteria, especially the tripod base, seem to really limit my options.

Does the Ultimate 80RT have a quick release style clamp? I can't find any good pics of the clamp itself and no one locally has one. It doesn't look like it from the pics, but the clamp is clearly different from the cheaper Ultimate stands.

Ultimate 70B:

Ultimate 80RT:

J

JRB

Looks like you turn a knob to operate the clamp. That is if you are referring to the part that holds the frame or post. That may not be a bad idea since I have had clamps break. I like my cheap park stand pretty well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The cheapest Park stand is my second option... but I'd really like a quick release style clamp (like the more expensive Parks) if possible.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
The cheapest Park stand is my second option... but I'd really like a quick release style clamp (like the more expensive Parks) if possible.

The cheap one is fine. The only problem is with different post sizes. Mine is a little loose with a 27.2, but perfect and tight with a 31.8. I guess I could wrap a tube or something.

Of the 2 you posted, I would get the 70B.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
The Ultimate pro has a knob that you turn to tighten the clamp. It does however have a slip clutch type of thing that lets you open the clam the whole way, then put your bike into it and push it closed rather than haveing to turn the knob the whole way. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you are going to get this or the cheapest park, I would get this. The cheapest park has a clamp, but the clamp is spring loaded and heavier bikes just bob around on it. The next step up would be way better from park (PCS-4) The Park PRS-5 is portable so if you want to take it to a race it will fold up.

If It were my decision I would choose between the Ultimate Pro and the Park PCS-4

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have the 80RT and really like the clamp mechanism. Looking at it is slightly deceiving... The clamp is actually free-moving (i.e. you can slide it open and shut), and the knob is only to tighten it down. So you slide it shut on your seatpost and then crank the knob a few times to tighten it. You don't have to spin the knob to close the clamp.

It's a really excellent stand. Very stable, the craftsmanship is clearly very good. You can torque on it pretty hard too, for installing BBs and such.

Plus, it's prettier than any other stand on the market :D :p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
The clamp is actually free-moving (i.e. you can slide it open and shut), and the knob is only to tighten it down. So you slide it shut on your seatpost and then crank the knob a few times to tighten it. You don't have to spin the knob to close the clamp.
ah, that's the kind of info I was looking for - thanks.

The 80 is the one, just gotta get some people to pay me the money I'm owed.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Motionboy2 said:
If It were my decision I would choose between the Ultimate Pro and the Park PCS-4
Thanks for the info on th eparks (especially the spring loaded clamp on the cheaper one). I really want a tripod base, so most of the parks are out. It sounds like the Ultimate 80 is the one I'll go with.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jacksonpt said:
ah, that's the kind of info I was looking for - thanks.

The 80 is the one, just gotta get some people to pay me the money I'm owed.
:thumb:

You'll love it.

Comes with a nice ballistic nylon zippered carrying case and some stickers too. I've had it set up on some pretty uneven surfaces and the tripod base really works well on lawns and such.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
I've had it set up on some pretty uneven surfaces and the tripod base really works well on lawns and such.
That's exactly why I want the tripod base... for use in the yard, at the trail, etc.

binary visions said:
:thumb:

You'll love it.

Comes with a nice ballistic nylon zippered carrying case and some stickers too. I've had it set up on some pretty uneven surfaces and the tripod base really works well on lawns and such.
agreed!

although I'm not sure every place throws in the bag - I think some charge extra. I think we got ours from speedgoat and it was included!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerChk said:
agreed!

although I'm not sure every place throws in the bag - I think some charge extra. I think we got ours from speedgoat and it was included!
The funny thing is that the stand was purchased for me for Christmas by my dad who knew nothing about it upon purchase. He walked into the store, and picked out the nicest looking stand (the red ano definitly does look nice). Turned out to be the best stand I've ever used :D

jackson, ask if they include the bag and if they don't, try to find a place that does. The stand is very portable - it folds down into a pretty small profile, and the bag is extremely useful in keeping it from getting dinged up or dinging up whatever you store it next to.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
jackson, ask if they include the bag and if they don't, try to find a place that does.
Will do. Pricepoint seems to have the cheapest prices ($165), so I'll start there. Their website says they do include the bag, but I'll call to double check. Thanks for the heads up - I definitely want the bag.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
jacksonpt said:
Will do. Pricepoint seems to have the cheapest prices ($165), so I'll start there. Their website says they do include the bag, but I'll call to double check. Thanks for the heads up - I definitely want the bag.
Jackson,

SpeedGoat has a price matching service. Take your quoted price and give it to them (they do not charge for shipping), and if the price you send plus shipping is less than Speedgoats price, they will give you the item at the lower price.

Not to mention, that shipped from their place even UPS ground should reach Vestal in 2-3 days max. I live in Buffalo, and have had Speedgoat orders arrive 2nd day when shipped ground.

Oh, I have a BRS80 that I got from Speedgoat, and that stand is the way to go. Stable, pretty, portable.

Best of Luck,

Marc