Quantcast

Ultimate small-ish XC/AM frame?

Trench Goat

Chimp
May 7, 2007
I have a 2006 Stumpjumper Pro that I race XC and Super D, and it has done well for both. Well, except the shock losing oil and the pivots wearing in less than a year. I need a new ride.
I want a new frame that will climb and descend with equal aplomb, I want it to be light, and most important, I want it to have clearance (I'm 5' 5").
My not-so-short list includes:
Ventana X-5
Yeti 575
Maverick Durance
Foes XCT 4

Anybody have any suggestions or comments?

Trench Goat

Chimp
May 7, 2007
The Motolite was my first choice for a while but after ridingone at Sea Otter I decided the head angle was too slack. Great all day bike, not as great for XC and short track racing.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Give us more details,such as size(dimension,geometry),new,used,how much travel and maybe the budget?But from what I can tell so far you might want to look into a SantaCruz Juliana.

Trench Goat

Chimp
May 7, 2007
The Juliana is really designed for women. I need a bike with a decent top tube, as close to 22" as possible (a little more would be fine). My Stumpy has pretty good clearance, and almost as long a TT as I want. I'd also prefer a head angle of at least 69.5 degrees, when my Talas fork is at full travel. For the record, I am currently running my Stumpy with quite a few upgrades: Industry Nine wheels, Formula Oro Puro brakes, etc. It weighs in around 26.5 pounds, not bad for a 5" travel bike. I don't want a new bike that weighs any more. I'm also predisposed against Cannondales. Their forks are nice, but I'm not sold on their rear suspension set-up.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How about a bearing kit and a trip to PUSH for your shock?
If you like the way your bike rides, keep it!