Quantcast

Ultra linear PE (Dynema/Spectra) spokes

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Years ago I did my thesis on early investigation into this material; essentially normal polyethylene is a z shaped, highly folded molecule, but the backbone is a pure covalent carbon-carbon bond, one of the (maybe the) strongest bond in nature. Ultra linear PE does what it says, it straightens out the z so all the load is directed down the bond and the tensile strength is therefore ridiculous. You may be familiar with this material from kite strings, squash or tennis racquet strings, high end rope, this sort of thing. It’s been a long time coming but now we can get it as spokes. It has a density of less than 1g/cm3 so it’s light as all shit too. Check it out:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Berd has been doing it for a while, but there were a few people that did it as a DIY and made their own. The hard part was getting an eyelet loop made that could be used with normal nipples. I think Berd threatened to sue MTBR because a few people figured out the process and posted it, it was a big DIY thread...then it disappeared.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
wait, hydrogen AND carbon?

hold the phones, sounds like we got a real hydrocarbon here!

coupled with plastic rims I could see the whole system working better, IE: carbon rims make wheels feel like ass rammers, kite string spokes are likely to make an aluminum rim feel like a noodle....

But I'm assuming a pretty high elasticity....which goes to rims stressing beyond breaking

honestly though, that's kind of the same idea that both crank bros and mavic used: lighten up the spokes, put a heavier reliance on the rim, which if we're talking about rotational weight, aint it

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I could imagine if you were bigbrain and had a bit of time on your hands you could come up with a way to use a single piece of ‘string’ to lace the entire wheel just going through the rim and hub eyelets. You’d need to make sure the corners were nice and smooth though, the abrasive resistance is good but not awesome. However you’d be able to drop the extra metal of the nipple and hook interfaces. Would be even lighter.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
wait, hydrogen AND carbon?

hold the phones, sounds like we got a real hydrocarbon here!

coupled with plastic rims I could see the whole system working better, IE: carbon rims make wheels feel like ass rammers, kite string spokes are likely to make an aluminum rim feel like a noodle....

But I'm assuming a pretty high elasticity....which goes to rims stressing beyond breaking

honestly though, that's kind of the same idea that both crank bros and mavic used: lighten up the spokes, put a heavier reliance on the rim, which if we're talking about rotational weight, aint it
The elasticity is very very low in tension (but slightly higher than steel IIRC).

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I could imagine if you were bigbrain and had a bit of time on your hands you could come up with a way to use a single piece of ‘string’ to lace the entire wheel just going through the rim and hub eyelets. You’d need to make sure the corners were nice and smooth though, the abrasive resistance is good but not awesome. However you’d be able to drop the extra metal of the nipple and hook interfaces. Would be even lighter.
Here's a picture of how the wheel would look after I built it with one rope:
1633150398181.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A quick google shows me this is not a new idea. Remember these?View attachment 165497
yeah some of us didn't need google, bro ;)

I'd want to see some numbers for elasticity. Mostly exactly because we've done this before. The reason I posted what I did in this thread is because those are other examples of trying something similar. And where are we back to?.....mostly steel spokes, manipulated through diameter and taper, with some more expensive gucci shit through aluminum alloys. We come back to these things for reasons.

Those new spokes are a weaved fabric. No matter what they're made of, they're going to have some stretchy. Everyone always seems to focus on total failure when talking about strength but that's not the issue. Not with wheels.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have 2 friends riding these spokes. They are both better jumpers than I am and they send decent sized things with these weird spokes. I can´t believe how light they are and how you tie little knots at the hub….. crazy when you get dropped by a guy on these….. doesn’t compute. The price is insane though….

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hard to watch this video so full of unfounded claims and questionable logic. Seemed like a reiteration of marketing talking points.
“Rolling speed”
They considered $500 in spokes expensive, but a $2000 wheelset “a really affordable option.”
And bro speak.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hard to watch this video so full of unfounded claims and questionable logic. Seemed like a reiteration of marketing talking points.
“Rolling speed”
They considered $500 in spokes expensive, but a $2000 wheelset “a really affordable option.”
And bro speak.
I dub their wheels "bro-cheted"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
“Rolling speed”
And bro speak.
Just wait till you try their new oval wheel, 12% faster!