Quantcast

Ummm....bb?

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
I have the Truvative Dh cranks and BB. Can any one tell me if the Raceface bb's are better than Truvativ's? This is my 3rd one and the damn thing is creaking like sh1t. I just had my bb shell reamed and faced. The bb will be quiet for about 2 weeks then just starts to creak like crazy. Any help is appreciated. I like a quiet bike.

(truvative bb)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
If its a taperlock, the square non splined version, I think they're crap. I had one and went through 6 bearings in about 4 months. They filled with water and were rusty when I pried off the seals. One bearing broke. One persons experience does not prove anything, but I checked mtbr.com and the experiences reported there seemed to be either, great bb or p.o.s.

I have no experience with the new isis splined stuff, nor do any of my riding buddies. Most of us are on Shimano bb's which are pretty reliable, plentiful and relatively cheap.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Got to say, I've been having great luck w/ the tapered RaceFace BB. Finally invested in one for my single speed as I was chewing up the Shim. XT's ridiculously quick. Been several months and all is well. I ride the thing 4x a week and my regular ride has over a dozen stream crossings, many BB height. I bought the thing because you can actually replace the bearings, but haven't heard a peep out of the thing yet.

But, as OF said, your mileage may vary.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Hehe.. Kinda got off track here. The Truvativ bb's are only ISIS splined. My question was, are the raceface ISIS bb's better than the Truvative bb's.. Does any one have any experience with both?

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
I had the truvativ sealex sl bb on my bike for about 3 months. Then the flange on the drive side of the bb tore off upon reinstallation. So I bought myself a raceface xs bb. I went with this because it has an adjustable chainline and four replaceable bearings to the truvativ's three. Once installed I could feel a difference in the smoothness of the bb's, the raceface was so very smooth.
The raceface bb has a better design with all of its parts being modular, if a part if it fails, or you f*ck it up, you can just replace that part (i.e. bearings, cups, axle, etc). If I could get the chainline on the truvativ bb to ork with my bike I would have gotten another. Overall I like the raceface, but I don't know if the price of the xs is really worth it over that of the truvativ.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Go Race Face, Also grease the BB shell and BB with good quailty water proof grease, like Bullshot or Phil Wood. Those are the best grease you can buy. My opinion.