Quantcast

Under Armour base layers

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Does anyone ride with an under armour base layer (cold or warm weather)? Im going rafting in May in Maine where the water should be in the 40s, if we are lucky, and Im considering getting a Cold Gear mock turtleneck shirt to wear under my wetsuit. I dont want to dump $50 on a shirt that Im going to wear only once or twice, so does anyone ride with a Cold Gear shirt for a base layer when its colder out? If the Cold Gear shirt is overkill for general riding temps (45*+) how aboots a Turf Gear full shirt?
Input?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
well i think the turf gear would be too thin feeling just like wearing a jersey under your clothes. I have worn cold gear in 30-40 deg and its okey dokey with a top layer to peel in the ride

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wear the one for cold temps when it's below 45 degrees. Then I just wear a jersey and wind vest on top.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I wear them for the 4 days it is cold in FL. Actually you can find very inexpensive and comfortable ones at Target in the underwear section. The short sleeve version I bought there was like $11. I bought them in black and blue.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I wear them for the 4 days it is cold in FL. Actually you can find very inexpensive and comfortable ones at Target in the underwear section. The short sleeve version I bought there was like $11. I bought them in black and blue.
for real? damn, it seems like im in target 3x's a week. ill have to take a look next time im there

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've got the thin and thick (are they the turf and cold models?) long sleeve versions and use 'em. For me, the thick is for <35°F, the thin is 35-50°F or so. I need a windbreaker for both since the wind cuts thru. And use 'em for all cold activities -- skiing, biking, hiking/snowshoeing, whatever. Good stuff. Also dig the underwear :D

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
I hit up all the "box" sporting goods stores every Spring looking for good deals on black long underwear shirts to use the following Winter as long sleeve jerseys. You can usually get them for $5-$10 each, sizes will be limited though. Just remember and plan ahead.

The best I've found is North Face. That stuff lasts and if you're lucky you can get them for about $12-$15.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
luken8r said:
for real? damn, it seems like im in target 3x's a week. ill have to take a look next time im there

Target rocks. They also have great black dryfit socks 3 pair for like $7. And of course I am also a fan of bandana's under the helmet.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think Underarmor is some of the best stuff out there. I have a few cold weather shirts from when I played football. I can wear it any time it's basically 35 or below and it's comfortable, just throw a regular jersey or even a t-shirt over the top. If it gets colder (like yesterday when I rode it was in the 20s I think) then I just put a long sleeve over it or add some more.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I use under armor when it's cold, and I throw a wind breaker over it. Works great. My son uses the stuff for soccer in the colder seasons. He had a game last Saturday. It was like 42, and it was raining. He said the only thing cold was his hands, and his face.