Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I'll only do it if you refer to as an "event" or "gathering"

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That is funny it says Large when it has a TT of 22.5". I ordered a small too.
I suspect you measured the real top tube length, not the effective. The real TT length on larges is 22.5, but the effective is 23.2.

Smalls have DHS in the serial number...

Larges have DHL in the serial number...

I sat on it in the parking lot on Saturday and knew right away it was a Large without looking at the serial number. However we comfirmed it was a large by looking at the serial number.

Her and her husband are such nice people. I met them at Snowshoe and she is so into Morewoods.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I suspect you measured the real top tube length, not the effective. The real TT length on larges is 22.5, but the effective is 23.2.

Smalls have DHS in the serial number...

Larges have DHL in the serial number...

I sat on it in the parking lot on Saturday and knew right away it was a Large without looking at the serial number. However we comfirmed it was a large by looking at the serial number.

Her and her husband are such nice people. I met them at Snowshoe and she is so into Morewoods.
I ordered a small and have been on a large before. The large was to big for me. I know mine was a small. I am guessing they didn't put the right marking in the serial #. Doug I know you know more about Morewood frames than me, but I know it was a small.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...so since our little riding community is decently low key, I'm throwing out the final details. Also, I'm headed out there this Saturday Nov. 4th to pre-ride. Anyone wanting to come check it out in advance is welcome:

Anyone wanting a scanned in copy of the local topo map, let me know. Also, there is a way to shuttle into the top of the trail if you want to pre-ride it...because knowing this trail WILL help. 90% of you guys have never ridden something so unique. It's like Green's Lick took steroids for 5-6 years, then added supplements.

Directions to Wayehutta (Roy A Taylor ATV Park):
EASIST WAY IS TO FOLLOW THE SIGNS TO Western Carolina University, but turn left on Old Cullowhee Rd (1/2 mile past Smoky Mtn High) BEFORE you get to WCU campus .

Take I-40West towards I-40 / Canton / Knoxville (18.3 mi)
At exit 27 on I40, turn RIGHT onto Ramp towards US-19 / US-23 / US-74 / Great Smokey Mountains Expressway / Clyde / Waynesville / Murphy / Atlanta / Maggie Valley (0.8 mi)
Road name changes to US-74 (0.6 mi)
Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto US-19 [US-23] (2.7 mi)
Road name changes to US-23 [US-74] (17.9 mi)
At exit 85, keep RIGHT onto Ramp towards US-23-Br / NC-107 / Cullowhee / W Carolina Univ (0.4 mi)
Road name changes to US-23 Bus (1.4 mi)
Bear LEFT (East) onto SR-107
Travel 2.5 miles to Old Cullowhee Rd (on Left)
Take Old Cullowhee Rd approx. 2-3 miles to Wayehutta Rd (before the bridge)
(Runs parallel with the river).
Follow Wayehutta Rd to the very top. Steep road dead ends into the Parking Area
Travel time from Asheville - 1hr, 10 minutes

ALL THOSE INTERESTED, PLEASE RESPOND SO I CAN CEND YOU A COPY OF THE COURSE ROUTE!!!!!.
Date - Saturday Nov. 11 .
Time - 9am Rider meeting in Parking Lot. IMMEDIATELY following will be the climb in and orientation run.
10:30am - Approximate start of Orientation run
11:30am - Casual Lunch and BS session in Parking Lot followed by climb back up
1pm - Mass start of the raffle run
Location - Wayehutta ATV Park - Cullowhee, NC behind the campus of Western Carolina University
Park fee - $5.00 to Smoky Mtn ORV Club who maintains the trail system
Raffle Ticket fee - $5.00 (goes into a pot to determine start order at the top)
Format - AM orientation run at the start.(To give riders a tour of the trail) Start time for "mass start" - approximately 1pm
Facilities - a pooper, nothing else. Bring your own food and water.
Weather - usually f-ing cold but you never know
Trail type - Really wide. 3 riders side by side is easily possible Passing is a piece of cake. Imagine Greens Lick extended over a very long period, wider and with jumps, berms and water bars like crazy...I mean tons of water bars. I've still never ridden any other trail like this.
Prizes- The raffle pot will be divided up into 3 most likely - 1st DH bike (single ring only), 1st hucker/trail bike, 1st Hardtail

A granny ring is recommended for the climb. I've pedaled, pushed and crawled it on a DH bike before, but you may want to skip the orientation run unless you shuttle to the top of Moses Creek (which is one f-ing long, long way to drive to do 1 shuttle run down). It is a tough, tough climb but very well worth it. Plan on at least an hour for the climb. Goats can hammer out the climb in 30.

If you only have a hardtail, you will not be undermanned. Full squish is of course best. DH bikes can easily run the DH, but you're gonna take a lot longer to get up top and there is a couple climbs in the Super D portion.

To pay entry fee of $5.00, send $6.00 total to my Paypal at bizutch@hotmail.com or mail $5.00 to Butch Greene
364 Emmas Grove Rd
Fletcher, NC 28732
You can buy raffle tickets from me on site...but I'd rather not track it there.

ALL THOSE INTERESTED, PLEASE RESPOND SO I CAN CEND YOU A COPY OF THE COURSE ROUTE!!!!!. :- ) bizutch@hotmail.com or 828-713-2459

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Here is the trail map:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/tayloratv.pdf

Did a trial run Saturday day with Matt Griffin and Daniel Sapp.

Was MASSIVELY fun. sooooooooooo, soooooooooooo many really big waterbars....geez! Just silly retarded. Up top we stopped one time and Matt looked at me and said..."That reminded me of the berms at Diablo."

He was on his hardtail and I was leading out the whole way down and Matt stayed right with me through it all except in the roughest sections!

I hope you're fit b/c the climb is tough. The potential shuttle road that leads to the top of the park from outside Cullowhee turned out to be a freakish, freakish thing!!! We drove up it for almost a half hour and were still a good 15 minutes from the top of it and just had to turn around and give up on the shuttle. It was the longest dirt road I've ever driven...and I've driven some lonnnng dirt roads!!

Ask Daniel Sapp or Matt Griffin. Don't think we'll ever forget that crazy road. Especially when I looked in the mirror and Daniel's bike was nowhere to be found!!! BUT...it was still dangling off the back of the blazer on it's BB and front skewer...barely. No damage!:D

I need to get a head count for this thing so please CONFIRM that you're coming!!! frznomad, Jeremy R, SoEast Matt, Cecil, Demolition Dave, Spoke80, Guard, CuriousCaptain, Motomike, T-Pirate, and so on down the line...drop me a line to let me know who all is coming.

If we need to tweak the format a little, we can do it on site. Recommended tire would be a 2.2 to 2.5...no more!

The climb we did to get up was:
NW on 459
West on 455
On 455 we headed to the far West leg of 456 (intersects w/ 474..which is marked 479 on the trail) At the 1/3 mark of 456, you hit a WALL of a climb and the crest of this climb is the start. We'll do rows of 2 riders like NASCAR. It'll allow a perfect start. It starts out shallow for around a 100 yards which will make for some great chances to sprint to the first sections and will really serve to break riders up.
Motoheads will have lots of time from this point to just pin it and grin it to catch up. At the left hand turn onto 463, you'll do the climb. Total time at this point 8-12 minutes. Here is where fitness can take back the game! From the top of 463, it's just sheer willpower, forearms and quadricep muscles to get to the bottom...another good 8-10 minutes solid to get you down!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
okay so today is the day. hope to see you all out there, and i cant wait to hit up a new trail for once. ill cya boys out there.:monkeydance:
Eric man...you're made out of rubber. :D
You hit the ground more times than a soccer ball man! Thanks for using your truck on that last run. Fokk did we fly on it.....

Jesse, Josh, the other Josh, Lothar, Matt Griffin, and on down the line.....that was even more fun than I expected it to be guys. Thanks so much for coming everyone. We'll have to go back again.

Almost dying trying to catch Jesse in his car Dukes of Hazzard style was no fun though. And next time, bring some Benadryl.:happydance:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ehhh well what can i say i just learned to pick my ass back up after crashes like that. i think the fact that my brakes were about gone on those runs deffinalty contributed to my crashes. ohh well.

butch man thanks for an awsome day of ridding and any time you guys are heading back out there man hit me up. absolutly loved it no matter how many times i hit the ground. ohh and thanks for the tire man its gonna come in handy.:cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ehhh well what can i say i just learned to pick my ass back up after crashes like that. i think the fact that my brakes were about gone on those runs deffinalty contributed to my crashes. ohh well.

butch man thanks for an awsome day of ridding and any time you guys are heading back out there man hit me up. absolutly loved it no matter how many times i hit the ground. ohh and thanks for the tire man its gonna come in handy.:cheers:
I still can't believe you wrecked on the same water bar twice...

The guys from Knoxville said you hitting one jump, then pogoing on the second and highsiding the 3rd...all in 1 crash...was the highlight of the weekend though.

Plus...everyone's bike that went up in your truck now has a tattoo on their downtube from the tailgate. We're like a secret brotherhood of the bike now. Branded like a frat!:disgust:

The guy onthe 29'er was banging out the climbs like a beast though. Heck, I never realized the guy who got bee stung on the wrist 5 minutes into the climb had a broken collarbone from 3 weeks earlier. He never complained once.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ahh well i aim to please. im just glad that they enjoyed it, and about the dude with the bee sting that guy was crazy. i was really impressed with him for having a broken collar bone. i prolly wouldnt have even ridden mad props to him.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ahh well i aim to please. im just glad that they enjoyed it, and about the dude with the bee sting that guy was crazy. i was really impressed with him for having a broken collar bone. i prolly wouldnt have even ridden mad props to him.
oh...and we hit the Mexican restaurant and you were nowhere to be found? Get lost messing with your laptop?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh matt said you guys were headed there but i had a few things i had to take care of at the house, and i really didnt have any money :bonk: . sorry i missed you guys maybee next time were out there ill join in on the fun.:cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Side note to anyone wanting to do this ride in the future:
As you head up through the back of the parking lot on the first trail #455, about 1/2 to 3/4 mile in, the trail turns back left and uphill steeply(on the map it's just past the label #455) . There is a LARGE tree down at this point over the original trail. I highly recommend climbing over the tree and using this old trailbed to get to the intersection of #457 and #459, to continue left up and back onto #455.

If you stay left on 455 at the downed tree, you're in for the most brutal, steep climb with no descent that goes up to a peak and add a good 20 minutes to your ride!