Quantcast

Underperforming at Races

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
norbar - as someone posted a few posts back, get a stop watch. loads of riders underestimate how powerful a training tool a stop watch is.

as you say everything changes once you know the clock is running, and even if you are not racing, just knowing that you are timing your self, there is suddenly a lot of pressure when you ride. getting used to this and being able to focus on what's important is key. being able to be focused and relaxed at the same time, forget about everything that would not contribute to you going faster.

when i am at races, i time some of my practice runs. then i know roughly what time i can get for seeding and how much time more i can take off for the finals. its just little personal goals.

another thing that has been said before, find your speed in practice. find your max speed, then take it down a notch for the finals so you know you will be safe. but of course not slow down **** loads. and this only applies for the risky bits of the track, ie a hard corner, where exit speed is important, a tech rock garden or something. other bit you will know your self you can go faster and sometime just not bother to go full speed in practice and just leave it for the finals. ie some easy corners after a long straight where you are going to be on the gas in the finals.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
As stated before, it's all mindset. I'm the exact opposite as most people; I ride like dog shlt in practice and during fun rides. Most of my friends are far faster than me on a daily basis, but come race day, I usually pull faster times than most of my buddies.
My friends ARE faster than me, but I have a head for racing I guess. The one thing I do, as cheesy as it sounds, is when I'm waiting in line for my start time, I'm thinking only two things; one, "remember, you're doing this for fun, you're riding a bicycle, it's supposed to be fun, no matter what place you come in, just enjoy the ride." And two, I mentally run through the course in my mind, thinking about every line, and every corner, remembering when to shift, when to push, when to brake, etc... Then come race run, the only thing I can think of is the next section, as soon as I clear one section, I say in my head "made it, now on to the next." I actually narrate my run in my head while riding.
Doubt this helps much, but figured since I have the opposite results as you, I'd let you know what goes through my head.

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Do this.

Advil (600mg) + redbull 45 minutes before your run.

2 shots of whiskey + 1 pint of water 10 minutes before your run.

Not joking, did this many times. Works well.

This reminds me of the first race I ever did. Guy behind me comes walking up the hill drinking a beer. Gets to the top and has another one. There is a long line for the start, so he smokes some herb. We're all freezing in the wind and rain waiting for over an hour to start. He tapes the empty beer can into his frame. Time goes by, he smokes more. I finally start, he's next after me. I finish completely anaerobic. About a minute later I hear yelling. He's crashed within sight of the finish line, right in a big puddle. He gets up runs with his bike, falls over the bike over the line. Yells triumphantly. I hope he's back next season.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
One of my "best" race runs was really the most FUN. It was my qualifying run at the '09 US Open. I did my usual pre-race/qualifying fun run moments before and had sooo much fun I couldn't stop grinning. In the gate before qualifying I was confident, relaxed, confident, and nervous. I couldn't wait for that moment when "you've got five!" In my mind I wanted to ride my bike fast, not race, not win, not qualify (I was 172/300 last year FTQ). I flew out of the gate and enjoyed the speed, the sound of my drifting wheels, and my calm, deep, methodical breaths. 3/4 of the way down I caught the rider in front of me. I was stoked. I thought for sure I would qualify. I backed it off and relaxed some more. My time was 20+ seconds slower than the fastest qualifier(Yeah Yuroshek! You rip!) but for me it was a personal win for sure. That's the key. Be confident in your ability, look way ahead down the trail, and ENJOY the speed, ENJOY the dynamics of downhill. I know, its easier said than done....my results in finals were 15+ seconds slower than qualifying. I wasn't there mentally. My reults since then have been lack-luster. But I got a taste of the "eye of the tiger" last week at Windham. Then I lost the front end in the wet and the rest is history. Keep on Keepin' on!!!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Just remember, all the rocks get bigger when you touch the brakes, all the people behind the tape are only there to see you crash, and you job is to chuck dirt at them with your rear tire.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
And two, I mentally run through the course in my mind, thinking about every line, and every corner, remembering when to shift, when to push, when to brake, etc... Then come race run, the only thing I can think of is the next section, as soon as I clear one section, I say in my head "made it, now on to the next." I actually narrate my run in my head while riding.
Actually this is the time when I do crap because I focus too much on the narration and the track I tend to put going correct before going fast. I always get best results when I miss some (not much) of mine lines and ride loose as hell (that may also be because of the fact that we have here mostly tight twisty tracks and my bike is a long whore). Noticed it this weekend when I had very crappy runs for most of the day because I was trying to ride clean and when I was almost clipping trees I suddenly started going fast. The first advice though I will try for sure at the nats as I think that may be my biggest problem. Well that and the fact I have big trouble with concentrating without preruns (they'd medicate the **** out of me in the US :P) and my class go up to 100-150 riders(think of it as one class combining some sandbagging pros, semi pros, experts etc. 30 riders qualify ;) )

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I feel like mtb is a lot like alpine skiing, snowboarding or martial arts. The best "mindset" is to not have one. A dh run or during a fight is not the time to analyze, best to clear your mind, relax yet stay alert. Your mind is more likely to get in the way.