Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

anyone care to guess at how high it'll go? in U-3 terms? U-6? shadowstats.com terms?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How does all this take in affect dual income families? My brother's wife just got laid off. It wasn't that long ago that a single income family was the defacto norm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How does all this take in affect dual income families? My brother's wife just got laid off. It wasn't that long ago that a single income family was the defacto norm.
the corollary to your question is: how many of this dual-income families lived within the means of a single income and budgeted for the possibility that one of the two might lose their job?

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
what timing for that as i just so happened to get me a second a/c company to work for today while out riding my bike above all things but haven't worked for my usual one in over a month..winter, very, very slow but i'm not unemployed. eh.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you've been unemployed for more than one year and have followed the unemployment program of seriously applying for 2 jobs each week... and have been rejected by 102 different employers you have to face facts. You are unfit for employment and the statistics they generate.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
the corollary to your question is: how many of this dual-income families lived within the means of a single income and budgeted for the possibility that one of the two might lose their job?
Whats your point? Am I supposed to bleed because these families are extended beyond their means?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you've been unemployed for more than one year and have followed the unemployment program of seriously applying for 2 jobs each week... and have been rejected by 102 different employers you have to face facts. You are unfit for employment and the statistics they generate.
i applied for something like 40-50 jobs before i got my first real job (IT director for a hotel group), this all before med school. does this mean i'm half unfit for employment?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
On a positive note, my Cousin took a $75k buyout from Chrysler at thanksgiving. He was an engineer in the auto industry for 10+ years @ ford and chrysler. He just accepted a job (albeit in Texas) making more money in another industry and his wife (oncology nurse) also found a good job there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Has housing gone straight down the tubes? Just wondering how "resort" type places have fared in this mess.
Based on an article I read, Bend has been hit the worst by the housing bubble.

I have been near or at single income since I got married 9 years ago. My wife has worked a few part time jobs for a few months here and there, but nothing substantial.

She is now in school with hopes to get a job in 18 months. Maybe the job market will be kinder then.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
i applied for something like 40-50 jobs before i got my first real job (IT director for a hotel group), this all before med school. does this mean i'm half unfit for employment?
No, you gained employment. I suspect you held out for something better and probably had more than one offer in the meantime.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If people would just buy what they can afford and ignored the dumb f^cking media the problems would be a lot smaller.

You create your own reality based on your opinions. I'm in the Automotive business and I am doing fine. The market is down 33% from last year but my income is down about 9%. Why? I am not going to fall into the trap that the media is portraying to everyone. Most people still have have jobs, most people still make what they did last year.

The ball is still rolling, but it is up to the rest of us to decide if we want to help keep it going or if we want to stop it. I'm keeping it going, I'm going to be better off than everyone else in the long run.

Last edited:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
If people would just buy what they can afford and ignored the dumb f^cking media the problems would be a lot smaller.

You create your own reality based on your opinions. I'm in the Automotive business and I am doing fine. The market is down 33% from last year but income is down about 9%. Why? I am not going to fall into the trap that the media is portraying to everyone. Most people still have have jobs, most people still make what they did last year.

The ball is still rolling, but it is up to the rest of us to decide if we want to help keep it going or if we want to stop it. I'm keeping it going, I'm going to be better off than everyone else in the long run.
:stupid:

The whole doom and gloom is getting annoying. Oh no! Look even skier visits are down 7% at the resorts across Colorado. What they do not tell you is it is down 7% compared to last year which was the second best year ever. Last year was only 30,000 short of the record season of 2006-2007. Then the new unemployment rate was released this week for Colorado. 6.1% Oh my god the rate has not been this high since? The depression? The last major recession? Nope, a whole five years ago.:disgust1:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yep.
While most guys in my trade had a miserable year we kept growing. Not as much as I'd wanted, as the competition was brutal, but I aim high.

For '09 I'm increasing marketing, prices and adding services. It's like _There Will Be Blood_ out there and the weak will get slaughtered. If your goal is merely surviving prepare to stand in line.

I honestly believe that Americans function best in times of adversity. Hopefully I'm right or we're going to scare ourselves into an economic apocalypse.