Quantcast

Unexpected benefit to commuting

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Dunno how many of you people are car people, but I'm a car people, so...
I've been commuting by bike to work since November, whenever possible. No real reason, just wanted to use my Poprad (and sometimes Pisgah) for something other than singletrack. Lately, with the nicer weather, this has been keeping me out of the car pretty much every day of the work week... except for the odd trip to the bike shop or trailhead.

What is the benefit (aside from saving a whopping $40/month in gas)? Before, when I drove the IS every day to work, the car became just a tool that I used to cart my ass around. I was starting to get bored with my automatic faux-luxosports car. Now that I don't drive it all of the time, it has become that much more fun whenever I am behind the wheel. Almost like a treat.
Any other car peoples here notice this?

Side note: Rain on a bike = fun for a few minutes. Rain in the IS = fun for a few hours. :thumb:

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
I figure I ride about 300 commuter miles a month, which is about $40 in Lexus miles.
So, I spend $40 less than I would if I didn't ride to work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, I notice this a lot. My truck is a blast to drive, but since I started working downtown back in January, I didn't drive my truck for 3 months. I decided I needed to start it up and get the fluids moving and WOW! I nearly forgot how bad ass my ghetto hotrod was to drive. I went around pissing everyone off with the rigged glasspack exhaust all loud, it rocks.

I can't wait to drive it to Mt Hood for the race next weekend!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I've noticed that riding a bike makes me much happier than driving a car. After getting my license and driving way more, I haven't been quite as happy. But then I started riding 3 or 4 days a week and I'm way happier. Cars make me stressed and anxious. Not to mention you save a ton of money and get a workout.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Its true for me. For one thing, I will never listen to music while riding road (good way to miss the careening car behind you), so the car stereo is nice.

I also drive my Honda Accord like "Ronin" as well.

And finally, when I don't pedal (which usually means I am riding to the train), then I am on my own schedule and I can take it easy...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Benefit to commuting that amuses me...I get to park IN the building so I get the best spot! nani nani boo boo.

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Damn right I get the best spot... right next to my desk. :agree:

Rode the Pooprad today, but-

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I wish I could park in the building. But NOooooooooooooo.........it's against our building lease. :mumble: At least they have a decent rack right outside the front door.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I keep the big bike next to my desk in front of the window, but the road bike goes in the locker down stairs. It's a closet that uses a code, then inside there are bike hangers you can run your lock through.

My 2.7 front tire won't fit in the hanger, so the big bike comes upstairs with me. I have been told that the building manager on the second floor would be pissed if he ever sees me.