Quantcast

Unhealthy heart rate?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Okay, I was on a road ride the other day, when i got to the steepest part of the climb, i hit a rate of 206. afterwards, I got dizzy and I was seeing spots.

about a half an hour later, i got this massive headache after the spots went away, the next day the headache was still there just not as bad.......same thing today.

What exactly happened to me?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you are concerned about your health, you should go see a doctor.

Now for some e-speculation. One of the main jobs of the heart and blood is to deliver oxygen to the various organs(ie brain) of the body. When you hit your maximum HR, that is the max oxygen delivery. Since the effort is probably requiring more oxygen than can be delivered, organs(your brain) are getting less than required. One sign of low oxygen to the brain is dizziness.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
MtnbikeMike said:
I wore my HR monitor to bed one night and my HR dropped to 30 at some point. :eek: Is this bad? ;)
not for a dead dude.

chicodude01 it's not unusual for your heart to max on a max effort the other stuff at 30 mins after kind of sound unusual though. i'd check with a physican.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MtnbikeMike said:
I wore my HR monitor to bed one night and my HR dropped to 30 at some point. :eek: Is this bad? ;)
if you're in excellent cardiovascular shape it's on the low range of normal. indurain's resting heart rate (not even sleeping!) was supposed to be a tick or three under 30... :eek:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
chicodude01 said:
Okay, I was on a road ride the other day, when i got to the steepest part of the climb, i hit a rate of 206. afterwards, I got dizzy and I was seeing spots.

about a half an hour later, i got this massive headache after the spots went away, the next day the headache was still there just not as bad.......same thing today.

What exactly happened to me?
I hit 220 once....this was during a physical for a job with the Newport Fire Department....was going literally 100% ( I want that job!) for 7.5 minutes...my knees were buckling and flashes were going off in my eyes so much so that I could barely see through them. Considering if you listend to what books say that you start with 220 minus your age (26)...my MAX heart rate "should" be 194...I'd say 220 was in the heart exploding range.