Quantcast

Unimaginable stress

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So this guy I work with.....

His wife went into labour about 3 weeks ago.....about 3 months early. Baby was born at 3 lbs. His torso is the same length as my palm apparently. Since his birth, they've only been allowed to hold him 4 times. He's intabated, and drinking breast milk through a tube in his nose.

All in all however, he's doing ok and should be allowed to go home in March sometime.

Today the poor little guy is having heart surgery to repair a valve that isn't quite right. My co-worker is staying pretty upbeat. I guess you'd have to!

And it's so hard for me to not go say, "Holy crap! I can't imagine having to go through all of that!". I mean Emily was 3 WEEKS early and was itty bitty at 6 lbs. How tiny a 3 pounder must be!!

Anyway, things should work themselves out. But of all the people in the world, this guy does not deserve to be going though this....

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
So this guy I work with.....

His wife went into labour about 3 weeks ago.....about 3 months early. Baby was born at 3 lbs. His torso is the same length as my palm apparently. Since his birth, they've only been allowed to hold him 4 times. He's intabated, and drinking breast milk through a tube in his nose.

All in all however, he's doing ok and should be allowed to go home in March sometime.

Today the poor little guy is having heart surgery to repair a valve that isn't quite right. My co-worker is staying pretty upbeat. I guess you'd have to!

And it's so hard for me to not go say, "Holy crap! I can't imagine having to go through all of that!". I mean Emily was 3 WEEKS early and was itty bitty at 6 lbs. How tiny a 3 pounder must be!!

Anyway, things should work themselves out. But of all the people in the world, this guy does not deserve to be going though this....
hey that is rough, but keep encouraging him, my nephew is 27 now, and this story is almost identical to his. He had to undergo another set of surgeries when he was 6 or 7 yo. They thought that he may have to have another set in his early 20's, but they think that things have worked themselves out!

I wish your friend all the luck! the NICU units do some amazing things with premie's! :thumb:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Keep supporting him. Babies seem to me to be the most resilent creatures on earth! Good thoughts going that way..

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My nephew was born three months early. He was less than three pounds when he was born. He was tiny. He spent the first few months of his life in intensive care. He's three years old now and perfectly healthy. Doctors can do amazing things.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
My Girlfriend is a Respiratory Therapist and she works in the Neonatal ICU and gets to see some pretty amazing stuff everyday. You'd be surprised what a baby can endure. I'm sure your buddy's baby will be fine.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You'd be surprised what a baby can endure.
A hearty shaking?

My little bro was born 3 mos. early and tiny like that...he's 5 years now and pretty normal. He had to be on some heart/breathing monitor for 6 months or something, but he made it fine. He's a little sh*t though.

Dont have kids in your 40s.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I am thankful for every day that our baby stays inside. We're due the same time as your co-worker's so-called due month.

We were supposed to visit family this month, but some red flags have indicated a possible pre-term delivery, so I'd rather be home if that happens than traveling.

Our best to your co-worker.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Damn. I didn't need to read this thread!

Best of luck to the tiny guy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I hope that wass just a general "didn't need to read" and that your wife and baby are ok.
They're doing just fine. Baby's current knick name is "Kicky".

We discovered on NYE that the baby does not yet like Neurosis. My wife was only able to catch one song before retreating. The baby was freaking out.

Fvcking sound guy! :rant:

Other than that everything is great. Morning sickness and gagging never went away, so that's getting on her nerves though.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
FYI, surgery went well..... took about an hour and a half. No issues. They figure that by Monday or so, he'll be completely out of the woods.

Apparently the surgeon referred to him as a "giant". Apparently most of the babies he works on are like 500-600 grams!!!!

But yeah. Good news.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
FYI, surgery went well..... took about an hour and a half. No issues. They figure that by Monday or so, he'll be completely out of the woods.

Apparently the surgeon referred to him as a "giant". Apparently most of the babies he works on are like 500-600 grams!!!!

But yeah. Good news.
:thumb:

keep us posted!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
A friend's (first) daughter was born several months early at 1lb 14oz and is doing well now. I think she'll be 3 next month.

They all pulled through the stressful situation and just had their second a couple months back which was full term and over 8lbs I believe.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
When my son was born (full term in the end) I did some reading on premmies, apparently the survival rate for babies born at 28 weeks is over 95%, 32 weeks is over 98%. They can do some amazing stuff nowadays. The threshold for survivability seems to be getting lower and lower.
My sister is 3 months gone, looks like a trip to Old Blighty is on the cards for August. Can't wait....might have to look up that Fluff bastard too, I owe him a pint or 3.:thumb:

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
Several months early @ 2lbs 3ounces. I was literally hatched, and come out all right. There is always hope at the end of the road as long as the hatchling has fight in em.

Actually one the bigger guys around at 225 lbs now:poster_oops:

Maybe being hatched has a genetic link to being poor at math?

Tell em to buck up.

Mizz

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Big news....little guy is on his way home from the hospital for the first time.

I couldn't be happier for them.....
That's awesome!

Our eldest daughter was born with situs inversus (all of her internal organs developed in a mirror image of a normal person). She's fine, but there was a time when we didn't know if she would need heart surgery for this. Those were stressful times indeed.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
So.....while our little buddy is doing just, he too has recently been diagnosed with autism. He's been mostly non-verbal. poor eye contact etc. But he's getting lots of support from the hospital. Fortunately he's getting very early intervention. So that should make a big difference.

In a company of 60 people, 3 of us with kids on the autism spectrum. (one of them is Asperger's). weird.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
In a company of 60 people, 3 of us with kids on the autism spectrum. (one of them is Asperger's). weird.
Normally I'd make a Canada joke, but that's too tasteless, even for me.

I have a cousin with Asperger's. Kid does/says the funniest things without even realizing it.