Quantcast

Uninstalling/reinstalling help

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Having wasted enough hours on this, I figured I'd ask the monkey before giving up...

The Problem: Failed install Canon's ZoomBrowser software on my laptop (running XP SP3). Cannot reinstall.

I own the CD for the program, it's just a few thousand miles away, so, after a bit of searching, I tried adding HKLM\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser Ex to the registry and installing the most recent (v6.3) "update"--it's the whole program, but it checks that you have a prior version installed--from Canon's website. Unfortunately, the registry trick only fools older versions of the software. Needless to say, the install didn't work. I've since acquired and attempted installation with several older versions of the "update" (got v5.7 to start installation after installing a really old v2.2, but it aborted partway and then refused to work). The partial install had no uninstall feature, so I tried a manual uninstall--deleting the files and all of the associated registry entries I could find.

I got a clean and painless install on a separate machine (running vista) with the same registry trick and v5.7, and then successfully updated that to the most recent version.

However, whatever I do I can't get a successful installation on my laptop. I've gone and procured another copy of the CD, and when I try to install from that it says : "error: install.exe could not load master.ini"

I'm assuming that there is some file from one of the attempted installations hanging around somewhere gumming up the process, but I'm at my wits end and I can't figure it out. Any help from the monkey computer sages?