Quantcast

Union Cops want 9/11 off or extra $$$$

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Union wants 9/11 off or extra $$ to show up

PEABODY, Massachusetts (AP) -- Police in Peabody, Massachusetts, could be getting holiday pay on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in what may be a first-of-its-kind contract provision.

A proposed new contract between the city and the police union would make the anniversary a paid holiday. The proposed contract still needs budgetary approval from the city council.

Officers would receive an extra 25 percent pay for working September 11.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/22/holiday.pay.ap/index.html

Mmike, how long until the Boeing Union workers push to get 9/11 off???? I think it's only fair....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
9/11 has become a goddam religion.

Time to get over it, folks! :disgust1:
At first I thought it would be good to have that as a national holiday, to stop and remember the terrible things that we went through on that day.

Then I stopped and thought about our current holidays, and how this would just be another excuse for a summer BBQ like Labor Day/Memorial Day/4th of July. "Hey everybody, come on over for our 9/11 party, BBQ outside if its nice or we'll party inside if it rains. Burgers and dogs will be provided but supply your own beer..." :disgust1:

No thanks, I'd rather just go to work.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
9/11 should be recognized (obviously) but extra $$ or a day off is nonsense.

There should be a national moment of silence or prayer (which ever floats your boat). Giving people a day off they would treat as a "personal day".....kind of disrespectful IMO.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm still waiting for Dec 7 to be a holiday. It's been 67 years, you figure they would have made it official by now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ignerant sob's...
A day that shall live in infamy. Apparently not for modern Americans.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cool things that happened on Dec 7th, according to wikipedia:

1696 - Connecticut Route 108, one of the oldest highways in the U.S. is completed to Trumbull.
1900 - Max Planck, in his house at Grunewald, on the outskirts of Berlin, discovers the law of black body emission.
1963 - Instant replay is used for the first time in a Army-Navy game.
1972 - Apollo 17, the last Apollo moon mission, is launched. The crew takes the photograph known as "The Blue Marble" as they leave the Earth.
1988 - Yasser Arafat recognizes the right of Israel to exist.

not so cool occurrences on that day:

1941 - World War II: Attack on Pearl Harbor
1941 - Holocaust (Shoah): Extermination of Jewish people at the death camp of Chelmno begins.
1987 - Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771 crashes near Paso Robles, California, killing all 43 on board, after a disgruntled passenger shoots his ex-boss traveling on the flight, then shoots both pilots and himself.
1993 - The Long Island Rail Road massacre: Passenger Colin Ferguson murders six people and injures 19 others on the LIRR in Nassau County, New York.
1999 - The RIAA files a lawsuit against the Napster file-sharing client, on charges of copyright infringement.

notable death:
1980 - Darby Crash, American punk-rock musician (b. 1958)