Quantcast

Unique bike rack

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Okay before I even start I just want everyone to know I just spent the last hour doing searches so please don't tell me to just do a search. Now with that outta the way, I'm looking for some info on a bike rack I saw mentioned on some site (NSMB, MTBR, or Pinkbike). Its made by a small mom and pop company in Vancouver, B.C. if I remember correctly. The thing I do remember for sure is it was a hitch mounted rack that held bikes vertically by the lower crown and allowed you to mount up to 3 or 4 big bikes with no problem. Anybody have any info about these racks or any clue as to what I'm talking about? I can't seem to find anything about them anywhere.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
it sounds like you are talking about a rack where you don't have to take off the wheels and you can fit all shapes of frames on it, I've nevver seen one hold the bikes by the crown but hollywood make some awsome stuff, fully welded in the U.S. of A. you mite check them out as they are cheaper and work better than any other racks I've used.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i just got a draw tite rack which, while lacking in quality, was cheap as hell and lets me put 4 big bikes on the back of my truck. it's a platform cargo carrier (100 bucks) with an optional upright piece (50) that bolts on to the middle. the upright comes with pads and straps, and you basically just throw everything on there and tie it down. it seemed pretty secure driving la freeways and a twistly mountain road to shuttle. no off roading with it yet though. simple yet effective.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Thanks for the suggestions but I finally found the site I was looking for (just kept typing in famaliar sounding websites). To get a better idea of what kind of rack I'm talking about and see what could be one of the better rack designs I've seen in awhile check out: http://www.northshoreracks.com/

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TtotheJ said:
Thanks for the suggestions but I finally found the site I was looking for (just kept typing in famaliar sounding websites). To get a better idea of what kind of rack I'm talking about and see what could be one of the better rack designs I've seen in awhile check out: http://www.northshoreracks.com/
That rack is hilarious! It looks just like a lift rack!

It will sell, because dh bikes don't bounce around like road bikes. But most people who have racks are the road/hybrid crowd....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It looks like it might be lighter than a Sportworks. I don't see anything *wrong* with it although at first glance it seems a bit weird.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
sanjuro said:
That rack is hilarious! It looks just like a lift rack!

It will sell, because dh bikes don't bounce around like road bikes. But most people who have racks are the road/hybrid crowd....
I got to check these out in person at Crankworks. The bikes are actually held in place (not like a lift rack) by the way the rear wheel hook tightens at an angle (hard to describe without pics).

I think this would be my rack of choice for shuttling dh bikes since it's simple, quick, and actually approved for that kindof weight (unlike sportworks).

The big disadvantage is that the way it hangs bikes by the crown will only work on suspension forks (i.e. no road bikes).