Quantcast

Universalcycles.com... How are they?

J

JRB

You're going to hear that they suck from several folks. I have bought quite a bit and they do a great job with the exception of the disc wheels I bought 2 months ago have the spokes laced the wrong way. Something to do with the way they trail. They ride fine. Just aesthetics really. I like that shop a bunch.

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
I had bad experiences with them. They seem to be right on top of things, but they also pull the "thats in stock" when really they are ordering that part for you. I had three separate items that I had to fight with them over due to them claiming it was shipping or was in stock, only to later find out the item was coming up to a week later due to THEIR vendor being out of stock, but they always lied until it got too late for their lies to hold up. I wouldnt order from them again.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
loco-gringo said:
with the exception of the disc wheels I bought 2 months ago have the spokes laced the wrong way. Something to do with the way they trail. They ride fine. Just aesthetics really. I like that shop a bunch.
OMG they are still doing that? They are no longer a Chris King dealer because of that. LOL. They should fix that for free buddy.....jdcamb

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
OMG they are still doing that? They are no longer a Chris King dealer because of that. LOL. They should fix that for free buddy.....jdcamb
I'll just relace them one day. I am pretty sure one of the last two wheels I built is the same way. It never really mattered until I got discs. Not sure how much it matters now. Magura does say that it does in their manual.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Too many horror stories floating around. I've had no direct experience with them but have read at least a half dozen or more accounts of horrendous service from them.

Sounds like someone to avoid - some customers are very happy but the ones who aren't have had seemingly awful experiences.

FWIW:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=25084

J

JRB

I will add that every time I call they say "thanks for calling Universal, can you please hold?"

Everytime.

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
i have had good experiances from them my d321's laced to DISC hub are great and haven't let me down yet... if you decide to go through them talk to mike

D

dwnwrd

They were good in taking the time to answer some questions I had, but they took forever to ship my wheels.

If they had an accurate ship date on the order status page or just ocassionally updated it to a date not in the past I would have dealt with that better. Then when the shipment arrived the wheels were built with different parts than I ordered. A Marz hub instead of the advertised Velocity hub and 729 rims instead of 321. Better than what I ordered I guess, but it really irked me at first since they didn't even bother to tell me. They just didn't seem to put much effort into keeping me informed about anything.

Oh, and my friend tells me the spokes are laced wrong as the above posts state. I don't know any better, but he didn't seem too worried about it, so I didn't worry about it.

Overall, I have mixed feelings, but I think I'll avoid them in the future. Certainly for wheels. The last set of wheels I got was from speedgoat.com and I got much warmer fuzzies from them.

jamesjbigler

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Alpharetta, Ga
I ordered some 2003 XT cranks and the bottom bracket with the rust protection coating to go with it. I got the rust protection because the XT cranks are hollow and water get's trapped in there. Anywho they sent the me bottom bracket without the rust protection coating. Wasn't a huge deal but it wasn't what I ordered.

James