Quantcast

Unreal Junior

unoveloce

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I'd post his here because I didn't see any reviews of the bike in the reviews section. Lewis at Unreal Cycles, who was an absolute pleasure to deal with in every conceivable way gave me a nice deal on an Unreal Junior frame and Marzocchi DJ1 with the in-house Tike wheelset. Tike wheelset is pretty sweet, it comes with axles to run both the front and the rear as QR or thru-axle. I've been skate-parking it for a few months and haven't had to true the wheels yet.
Anyway, I built the bike up with some avid bb7 brakes, avid levers, a
'08 Marzocchi DJ1, and some holzfeller cranks. All went together smooth, though the adjustable dropouts had some nice tight tolerances which required a little sanding of paint to get everything together properly. Frame requires full housing runs from the levers, but the routing is clean and effective.
Got it built up, then tried various spots for the adjustable dropouts. There's four spots to bolt the dropouts in, each of which gives noticeably different handling. I have it bolted to the second shortest wheelbase option, which works well for dirt-jumping and general gnar-shredding. Might go longer if using for slalom or four-cross. Its pretty quick and responsive with the DJ1, but not twitchy.

I've got a Fisher GED and a Kona Cowan and I've been only riding the Junior since I got it. Its got the longer cockpit of the Kona with the standover and chainstay length of the GED.

Pluses:
- Stiff
- Geometry has low standover height with long top tube. Makes for roomy cockpit and lots of knee room for tabletops;)
- Looks cool. Nicest example of hydroformed tubing implementation I've seen.
- Adjustable chainstay length via dropouts. Setup bike for fast stuff or skate park.
- Replaceable dropouts let you run QR or thru-axle.
- Ultra-low stack height due to integrated headset
- DJ1 + Unreal Junior gives quick and responsive steering.

Minuses:
- Frame has enhanced my sex appeal, though the attention mainly comes from squirrels and badgers. Is that normal?
- Not sold on integrated headsets in general, but so far no problems from mine
- Since there's four positions for the adjustable dropouts, may take some fiddling with chain length or cog choice to run single speed.

Attachments

unoveloce

Chimp
May 19, 2008
It's a blinky light without the red cover. It got smashed up too long ago, but the light still works. The cops here are pretty picky on bikes at night not having a rear light, and since this is the bike I spend pretty much all of my time on, I'll leave it on until it busts completely off. The stem is on for a temporary basis. I'm trying a few different positions out and it was darn near free. When I get the position dialed, I'll post new pics. Sorry if it seems like Spam. I saw the banner ad up top while surfing and wanted to post it in reviews, but there aren't any, so to the forums it went.

Jul 29, 2010
this bike frame is pretty awesome, i got it used from some guy who built it up as a single speed dirt jumper. However, the 4 positions that the dropouts can be placed in don't seem to line up with my chain, so i had to order a surly singleator, and it looks like i'm going to have to have it pull DOWN to put tension on the chain, not up (as i would've preferred). this frame is super responsive and light with tons of clearance for your speedbag (plus it turns a lot of girls' heads :D), but i don't think it was made to be a single speed. if anyone has set this up as a single speed, let me know what cog/big ring/chain you use. i've got transition big ring and cog and kmz chain

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I had one set up single speed with no tensioner. Just used a bolt on axle and snugged it down tight, never moved. Didn't use the set screws.

My friend rides the frame now, also ss, and he's using a homemade version of wheel slammers, just shims in front of the dropout inserts. No problems either.

I ended up getting a Riot, and I like the shorter TT and slacker HA.

Last edited: