Quantcast

Up Devil's Gulch down Misson Ridge?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
doable
the figure eight is a true epic
high altitude training leading up to it would be most wise.....
get an EARLY start
be prepared water/food/safety/tools
your pace round 6 or 7 hours to complete
good luck.:)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Snacks, Not even insane. The climb up DG is one of the best around. If you have been doing Tiger, this will be about the same. The last switchbacks to the saddle after the last creek crossing are the toughest. They get more sun and dry out quicker. That, with the copious amounts of rear brake grabbing from those coming down makes for some pretty loose corners.
But, getting there is a great climb. And, starting early means you will likely miss those who are getting vertical assistance as they typically show up way later in the day. Up DG to the saddle and down Mission is a classic. As Skooks said, making it a figure 8 is down right Epic. Save that one for this fall. You'll appreciate your fitness then as well as the larch trees changing color.
The crazy thing about climbing DG though is at that slow pae of the climb, You actually get to look to your left a lot and realize that if you stepped off to that side, it would be one loooong step.
Do it, it's a great ride. Make a weekend of it and hit Freund Canyon on the way back for Sunday morning fun followed by Leavenworth and beer and brats at Gustav's before the casual drive back into the traffic around Gold Bar.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I think I'll sign up for the ride....it's a BBTC thing in June. I have never rode with the BBTC and I'm little worried about getting left behind.

I have only rode down DG once and it is a little scary looking off the edge :(

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
Originally posted by Snacks
I think I'll sign up for the ride....it's a BBTC thing in June. I have never rode with the BBTC and I'm little worried about getting left behind.

I have only rode down DG once and it is a little scary looking off the edge :(
nobody gets left behind w/bbtc. if anything you will be mad from all the stops to wait for the rei weekend warriors with thier bikes mis shifting up the hills.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bwahahahahaha! That's funny! That the group will be to fast and that the group will be too slow. Only one way to find out.

Snacks, from your posts on Green Mountain, Tiger, and others, I'd say you'd probably fall right smack in the middle. I've ridden with a few who are signed up for that ride before, including the ride leader. Should be a good time.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Thanks for all your input guys :)

I signed up for the ride, and I'm really looking forward to it. I will be my first 'long' ride since recovering from my illness.

I'll borrow my friends digi camera so I can capture the ride.