Quantcast

Up yours HP!!!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
My laptop got nailed by a power surge the other night. No problem I thought... I have a three year extended warranty I purchased two years ago when my original one year warranty ran out.

NO SORRY!!! The three years starts on the date the system was purchased. It expired two months ago!

Read the fine print folks!!!

Mike

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Check with your power company. My father lost a bunch of stuff to a big power surge and the powpow company paid to replace it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You purchased three years and that voided the one year that came with the system? That's fvcked.

(I never by warranties, so I didn't know this)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've never seen an extended warranty that started the day after the original warranty expired. They all start the day you purchase the system.

Sucks, but as Westy said, check with the power company. My dad had the same thing happen and got a bunch of his stuff replaced.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
It was due to an electrical storm which may have come through the cable modem line.

I may try my homeowners. But if it leads to increased premiums or cancellation it's not worth it.

I should've unplugged my computer when I saw the storm coming. It was a bad one.

What I don't understand is why I would pay for years coverage when I already had it?
:disgust1:

Mike

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
To me, that's fraud.
I'm sorry, I just re-read the original post and I misunderstood. I thought it said that he purchased the 3 year warranty for when his 1 year warranty ran out, not purchased after the year expired.

That's definitely sketchy but as Dartman said, gotta read the fine print. If the warranty was purchased from the manufacturer, I still probably would have expected it to date from when the system was purchased as they're just selling you a normal extended warranty, same as they would have sold you the day you bought it.

It's not fraud unless they didn't state the terms of the warranty.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I bought an extended warranty for the first time ever for my wife's camera. 4 years of complete coverage against anything. Apparently I can drop-kick the camera 1459 days after we bought it and get a new one.

:D

Sucks about the laptop. I'd push it with them, that sounds like total BS.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Those cover-anything warranties rock. I had one that even protected against theft - all I had to do was report the theft of it to my local police office and the camera place would replace it for me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's not fraud unless they didn't state the terms of the warranty.
Thing is, I consider something fundamental to the contract buried at line 72 to be fraud. I know, I know, it's written in there.

But "extended" has implications and to define it the way they want buried deep in the fine print doesn't excuse it. I think companies abuse the fine print stuff cuz it's simply above the mental abilities of 99% of the people out there. You need both intelligence and patience for that garbage.

Don't be surprised if fine prints start getting challenged in the legal system.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm just guessing here, but I've read a lot of these warranties... and I'm guessing that it wasn't buried way deep on line 72 of the 5pt. font, and was actually fairly clearly defined, but it was taken for granted that "extended warranty" was from date of warranty purchase and nobody bothered to double check.

I'd gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but usually the warranties are pretty clear about dates of coverage.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Did the power surge get past your surge protector that your laptop was plugged into?
No, it came in through the cable line and fried the router. Like a dumbass I had the laptop hardwired to the router to transfer files faster than if by wireless to my NAS drive. The lights on the router port I had it conected to stayed on even though the cable was disconected. I may file a claim on my homeowners.

I have APC surge protectors with insurance.

Mike