Quantcast

Upcoming War with Iran

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/06/29/us.iran/index.html

The Bush administration has launched a "significant escalation" of covert operations in Iran, sending U.S. commandos to spy on the country's nuclear facilities and undermine the Islamic republic's government, journalist Seymour Hersh said Sunday.
An Iranian flag flies outside the building containing the reactor of Bushehr nuclear power plant, south of Tehran.

An Iranian flag flies outside the building containing the reactor of Bushehr nuclear power plant, south of Tehran.

White House, CIA and State Department officials declined comment on Hersh's report, which appears in this week's issue of The New Yorker.

Hersh told CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer" that Congress has authorized up to $400 million to fund the secret campaign, which involves U.S. special operations troops and Iranian dissidents.

President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have rejected findings from U.S. intelligence agencies that Iran has halted a clandestine effort to build a nuclear bomb and "do not want to leave Iran in place with a nuclear program," Hersh said.

"They believe that their mission is to make sure that before they get out of office next year, either Iran is attacked or it stops its weapons program," Hersh said.
facepalm.jpg

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Doesn't the experience with North Korea and Libya teach these f*ckwits anything. Diplomacy works if you have a committment to it. Seems like the only thing the Bushies are committed to is being pricks.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
But,is any other country investing in the new small Iran war publically? Also,we just need to go in & get some oil/fuel & leave quickly,all covert n all.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
No,load up an oil tanker ship moron!

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/oil-prices-pass-143-a-barrel-us-gas-hits/n20080630093709990012

Section from this article:
Traders were digesting reported comments from the commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, who warned that if his country is attacked, Tehran would strike back by barraging Israel with missiles. In a report published Saturday in the conservative Jam-e-Jam newspaper, Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari said that if Iran were provoked, it would also move to control a key oil passageway in the Gulf.

Iran is the world's fourth-largest oil exporter and about 60 percent of the world's oil passes through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The report comes after the disclosure of a recent Israeli military exercise over the Mediterranean Sea that was seen as sending a message to Iran to curb its nuclear ambitions.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
No,load up an oil tanker ship moron!

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/oil-prices-pass-143-a-barrel-us-gas-hits/n20080630093709990012

Section from this article:
Traders were digesting reported comments from the commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, who warned that if his country is attacked, Tehran would strike back by barraging Israel with missiles. In a report published Saturday in the conservative Jam-e-Jam newspaper, Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari said that if Iran were provoked, it would also move to control a key oil passageway in the Gulf.

Iran is the world's fourth-largest oil exporter and about 60 percent of the world's oil passes through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The report comes after the disclosure of a recent Israeli military exercise over the Mediterranean Sea that was seen as sending a message to Iran to curb its nuclear ambitions.

Most sources cite it as 20% of the world's oil...

This sounds like a bunch of drivel (from both Jafari and internet news outlets). Although I'm eager to hear how his knowledge of asymmetric warfare will work on water. Operation Praying Mantis and all... Doing so would also piss off the UN and the UAE.

How exactly does one discover an escalation in covert operations? It's not like the spooks are dumb enough to talk to Seymour ****ing Hersh...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
from article said:
...Tehran would strike back by barraging Israel with missiles...
Isn’t that kind of like getting kicked in the nuts and then turning to the person next to you and kicking them in the nuts?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Most sources cite it as 20% of the world's oil...

This sounds like a bunch of drivel (from both Jafari and internet news outlets). Although I'm eager to hear how his knowledge of asymmetric warfare will work on water. Operation Praying Mantis and all... Doing so would also piss off the UN and the UAE.

How exactly does one discover an escalation in covert operations? It's not like the spooks are dumb enough to talk to Seymour ****ing Hersh...
I'd trust Reuters over wikipedia on this one... :)

Reuters said:
-- Oil flows through the Strait account for roughly 40 percent of all globally traded oil supply, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). The figure fluctuates with changing OPEC output.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Shucks, it'll work out well enough for Bush and Cheney..see what their other MidEast adventure has led to?....

Iraq throws open door to foreign oil firms

The move to invite bids for the development of Iraq's largest oilfields will mark the return of the oil majors, whose cash and technical expertise Iraq needs to restore its oil infrastructure that has been hard hit by sanctions and war.

But any awards to U.S. and British firms are likely to anger opponents of the invasion, who have said the 2003 war was designed to give Western oil companies control over Iraqi oil reserves. U.S. and British officials have denied the charges.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Isn’t that kind of like getting kicked in the nuts and then turning to the person next to you and kicking them in the nuts?
You realize how much money the US is pouring into Israel to make sure that they can keep their status as a big **** you to the rest of the Arab world, right? And do you realize how much influence Israel has over our government?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You realize how much money the US is pouring into Israel to make sure that they can keep their status as a big **** you to the rest of the Arab world, right? And do you realize how much influence Israel has over our government?
No, I dont think anyone here has ever thought that way before. Sounds radical, please enlighten us...
(Sarcasm font ON)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm fully aware, and it's one of things I hate about our foreign policy...unconditional support of Isreal.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This morning as I was walking out the door for work, the wife had The Today show on and Matt Lauer was talking to some White House talking head correspondent about Bin Laden:

Lauer: "So the search for Obama is now being curtailed? I mean Osama...heh..."

Heh...
I was watching Sportscenter a couple weeks ago and the anchor referred to Obama as Osama... pretty great.
Im sure people want to read a ton into it every time it happens, (like when Mitt Romney did it) but the names are pretty similar and pretty newsworthy.

There is this big van parked where I go to school that has "Fred Thompson 08" window tint....like covering the entire rear window, and a bumper sticker that says something about "Osama Bin Bama" or some such crap. I bet he's angry these days.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Mind Control.

The Jews have it.
there is a difference between antisemitism and anti-Israel.

ire said:
I'm fully aware, and it's one of things I hate about our foreign policy...unconditional support of Isreal.
Ah, I thought your analogy was implying that by bombing Israel they were just bombing a random neighbor. Instead of kicking your neighbor in the balls, it would be like kicking the guy's daughter.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I always love to watch the Family Guy episode where the beginning is the making of an Osama tape...

"Oh...hahahaha!! Khalid...you doofus...this guy...this guy...I'm just going to wear these big fake sunglasses for the entire video...death to Amer....ahahahaha!! Stop making those faces!!"

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
there is a difference between antisemitism and anti-Israel.

Ah, I thought your analogy was implying that by bombing Israel they were just bombing a random neighbor. Instead of kicking your neighbor in the balls, it would be like kicking the guy's daughter.
At this point I would like to point out that this thread has not received the "Falcon Punch" tag as yet...

This should be remedied as soon as possible.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080629/twl-iran-military-us-israel-3cd7efd.html

Iran is to dig 320,000 graves in border districts to allow for the burial of enemy soldiers in the event of any attack on its territory, a top commander said on Sunday.
(Advertisement)

"In implementation of the Geneva Conventions... the necessary measures are being taken to provide for the burial of enemy soldiers," the Mehr news agency quoted General Mir-Faisal Bagherzadeh as saying.

"We have plans to dig 15,000 to 20,000 graves in each of the border provinces or a total of 320,000," the general said, some of them mass graves if necessary.

Bagherzadeh said Iran was keen to "reduce the suffering of the families of the fallen in any attack against our country... and prevent any repetition of the long and bitter experience of the Vietnam War."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
If I am not mistaken , the diplomacy with Libya was a Squadroon of F-111s
Their reply was a bomb in a Pan-Am 747 over Scotland. We were all coming out ahead going that route.:huh:
I can't understand why these obvious foreign policy success stories like Libya and North Korea aren't being hyped more by the Bushies. I guess nothing disguises your miniscule knob size more than putting a dirty great guided missile up some-ones back passage.

splat

Nam I am
Their reply was a bomb in a Pan-Am 747 over Scotland. We were all coming out ahead going that route.:huh:
I can't understand why these obvious foreign policy success stories like Libya and North Korea aren't being hyped more by the Bushies. I guess nothing disguises your miniscule knob size more than putting a dirty great guided missile up some-ones back passage.

I think you'll find the bombing over Scotland came first.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I think you'll find the bombing over Scotland came first.
If by F-111 you were referring to the raid on Tripoli, then that was '86, Lockerbie was '89 (edit-Dec '88). The raid on Tripoli was in retaliation for the bombing of the Berlin disco which was in retaliation for......you can see the point I'm making here.

Last edited:

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
"El Dorado" diplomacy works if your opponent knows (or cares) that you will carry out a full attack. I don't think there was any doubt in Ghaddafi's mind that Reagan would invade Libya if he was pushed to that point, hence why he hired Abu Nidal to carry out subsequent attacks. Plausible deniability.

On the other hand, if you look at Operations Desert Fox, Desert Strike, and Infinite Reach had no effect on our opponents. They knew we were unwilling to go the full measure.

If anything we're using Gunboat diplomacy now with our carriers in the Strait. Of course, that didn't work in China, either...

Last edited: