Quantcast

Update on Katie

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
As everyone who was at the mtx race this weekend knows Katie took a mean digger during practice.

They found a completely broken collarbone, 2 other bones in her shoulder are also broken and the bone the clavicle attaches to has also seperated. Katie also has a nice dollar bill size scab on her side.
After @ an hour and a half of waiting they finally gave her some morphine for the pain. She wasn't in as much pain yesterday and we're waiting for her doctor to give a referral to see an orthopod.
She said the chain skipped as she pedalled up to the jump and that caused her to dead sailor/superman into the ground. Right now she doen't trust mountain bikes but she wants to get on her 20". I told her I'll make sure the chain will never skip again if she wants to race mtx again.
Wendy, thanks for the use of the cell. And thank you to everyone concerned.
Katie just told me she does want to race next year so watch out.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That tough news to hear, but at such ayoung age she should heal up quickly and just fine.

On another note, thanks to Pete JRs chain problems in the gate I got to taste a second place finish in my class. :D

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
profro said:
That tough news to hear, but at such ayoung age she should heal up quickly and just fine.

On another note, thanks to Pete JRs chain problems in the gate I got to taste a second place finish in my class. :D
Yeah, I think I'm going to make his bike single speed. He still doesn't understand how to shift or what gear he should be in. On the expert final he said he started off in too hard of a gear but it ghost shifted into an easier gear so he pulled everyone on the first straight. :stupid:

He went to the skate park wed. night and tore off his derraileur when he bobbled a feeble grind. The shop had a new hanger but it was for a different model Azonic. I spent half of my shift thurs. night cutting/grinding/drilling to make it fit. Then all day friday putting Katie's bike together and replacing gears, shifter,chain and der on Peter's bike and trying to get my bike to shift. It's fun being a BMX/MTB dad :heart:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I am finding out that on a qualifying run I use multiple gears, but on a race I usually get stuck behind someone and don't need to shift.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
profro said:
I am finding out that on a qualifying run I use multiple gears, but on a race I usually get stuck behind someone and don't need to shift.
I can see that. Alot is going on w/ 4 people hauling ass down that course. Vic got in my way in both sport finals so I didn't finish like I had hoped. He was doing a good job of blocking on the way down. But I still had a blast. I wish windrock was closer to Atlanta.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Tell Katie me and Ellen wish her a speedy recovery. I know Ellen looks forward to receiving more mx lessons from her next year...of course that provided she can see through the tire smoke that Katie leaves of the starting line!!! :thumb:

Katie's shoulder really makes my stitches insignificant.

When I got to the hospital in Oak ridge I asked about Katie and the lady at admissions said they didn't have her there. I found out later she was moved (helicopter?) to somewhere else.

I feel bad becuase I had just finished asking her if shes was going to get back into racing 26'ers. Then I was behind her when she fell I heard a 'pop' and saw her right foot out of the pedal. She looked like she was trying to brake and hit the roller and nosed into the front side of the table top. She went over the bars and over the table and landed on the flat in between.

I'm sure you have seen the pics or video though.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Thanks. She was taken to T.U. Medical center where they made her wait 1.5 hours before administering any pain killers. The first person couldn't get the IV in her arm. My wife was raising hell. Then they sent over a P.A. instead of a doc. If you go to that hospital make sure you have money for parking.
Also if you plan on going to the ER don't take any Advil if you want something stronger. I held off on giving Katie anything before she was hauled off. And I found out later that was the right thing to do.

She was seen by an orthopod today. She goes in to surgery friday. They want to sraighten out her collarbone and try to reattach the bone in her shoulder that seperated. Full recovery is expected and she plans on racing mtx again next year. I've got a bad ass daughter :love:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I haven't been to the DH at Windrock but the potential for crashing at the mtx is high. Juan did a good job of putting in a speed break half way down. There were a couple of crashes during the race but nothing serious. Nobody was trying any stupid moves during the race except in the dog leg after the step-hip.

Tom I hope you are feeling better. You definitely took your lumps this weekend. I assume you finally stopped bleeding before the DH?
Cut that seatpost down on the Spec ed.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Wow that's a tough girl. I hope she's doing better. I can only imagine the stress you had trying to get to the hospital.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
DVNT said:
Wow that's a tough girl. I hope she's doing better. I can only imagine the stress you had trying to get to the hospital.
Really it wasn't as bad as it could have been. My youngest got knocked out at our track a few years ago. He went OTB and landed on his face on a paved turn. Blood everywhere, lots of screaming when he woke up, the wife was spazzing. He got a helo flight into ATL. HIS injury scared me.
Peter broke his collarbone twice in one year.
We definitely wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have insurance.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
That would scare the crap out of me. I don't think I could remain calm in any of those situations. Broken collar bone twice in one year?
Did the doctor send someone over form child services to ask you any questions????
-just kidding....

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
No, but we have former friends who think we are off of our rocker for not just letting them back on their bikes but racing. My youngest was sneaking off on his bike before the doc gave him the ok. We're a sick family.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Peete said:
No, but we have former friends who think we are off of our rocker for not just letting them back on their bikes but racing. My youngest was sneaking off on his bike before the doc gave him the ok. We're a sick family.
Young kids, whose bones haven't finished growing yet are at such an advantage over older folks.

However I was back on my bike 4 weeks after I broke my shoulder at the last Windrock race and I raced this past weekend 8 weeks after the break. Of course the doc told me 3 months. :sneaky:

radbradus

Chimp
Jul 10, 2004
hey guys i have tasted the dirt at bigfoot also - at first it was too salty but now i am starting to like. good luck w/ recovery and hang tuff it's what we do best - regards , brad

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
genpowell71 said:
Glad to hear she's doing better. I'll have to tell my kid to look out for her when she starts racing
Have you been to the BMX track down your way? Just curious what it's like before I commit to driving there.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The doc postponed it and wanted more CT scans. The reason she was going to get surgery friday was because some pro foosball player cancelled.
Well, we think they postponed Katie's because the foosball player changed his mind.
She was riding her bike this weekend, one handed. Amazing how fast kids heal. She may do the Charlotte race(assuming there is one) but just cruise down. Depends on how she feels.

How are the arms?

What in the H3ll is a pro foosball player?

I took my stitches out last night. More of an incovienience than anything. hole closed right up.

I figured it would have been canceled becuase of the hurricane. Isn't Pro BMX higher up on the food chain.?

Wendy

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
NC
what! o man! dont let her fall again. if you break a growth plate more than once there is a possiblity that it will terminate growth of the child from then on -- take a look at tara haha

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Wendy said:
what! o man! dont let her fall again. if you break a growth plate more than once there is a possiblity that it will terminate growth of the child from then on -- take a look at tara haha

Hmmm, pediatric ortho doctor never mentioned anything about a growth plate. I'll ax her at Katie's next appointment.
Besides, I think Katie is bigger than Tara.

Wendy

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
NC
hahaha-- yeah, is there is anyone who isnt? All that stuff is what Tara told me. She is a show jumper (horses) and her full brother is like 6'2" but she stopped growing at like 13 after she just broke herself too many times