Quantcast

Updated Bike

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Oh come on you know you want one. Little bikes are the way to go for trickery :love:

Freshly repainted and with some mods.

-frame: S&M Holmes (21)
-fork: ody race
-bars: Snafu, 7.25
-seat: primo balance
-sprocket: macneil guard44 (yeah it's f'in 'uge)
-pedals: ody twisted
-cranks: profile race
-stem: dk trail (a surprisingly nice stem)
-back wheel: old and heavy dk 14mm hub, sun bfr
-front wheel: ody vandero w/ ryno lite. 36 spoke, laced 2 cross (2 cross is wierd, don't lace things 2 cross.)
-pegs: Jpeg lite
-grips: odi rogue lock-on (no flanges, I hate grip flanges. Who knows why.)
-brake: Magura hs-33 hydraulic
-tires, kenda kontact front, primo comet rear.

mods: trimmed and lengthened frame dropouts (chainstays at 14.5" now.) Cut axles and steertube. Cut off original brake mounts and cable guide. Welded on V-brake mounts. Repainted frame (was black.)

future: 36t sprocket, cassete, maybe switch to V-brake.

Yeah I would have put the brake mounts on the bottom of the seatstays but there were clearance issue. And to the naysayers I've been running the hydro brake since February. No kinked or snapped lines. (Of course I'm not going for barspins or whips.) But my brakes always work most excellently.

modded dropouts:

brakes:

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
1) It's a 14mm rear axle

2) Yeah some of the kiddies poke fun at the brake. They say "blah blah blah your brakes suck they're way too strong I bet you can't manuall for **** let's have a manual contest!!" I resist, they persist, then I hand their asses to them is said manual contest.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
The kiddies are awesome.

Every time I bust out my camera (digital rebel) they whisper among themselves until one of them finally gets the balls to come up to me and ask which magazine I work for.

I use my throw as a journalist for ride BMX to remind them that weed is bad, mmmmkay?

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
monkeyboy424 said:
do you ever bend the 3/8 axle when doing double peg grinds?
sorry i should have been more clearerer....

the front end has a 3/8 axle correct? the ody race fork has a 3/8 slot right?

and also, where did you get the tabs welded i have kinda been throwing around that idea, but my u brake works fine right now.

by the way the color is sick.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
monkeyboy424 said:
sorry i should have been more clearerer....

the front end has a 3/8 axle correct? the ody race fork has a 3/8 slot right?

and also, where did you get the tabs welded i have kinda been throwing around that idea, but my u brake works fine right now.

by the way the color is sick.
I don't use my front peg much, so no. Although this setup can stand plenty of double peg grinding so long as you're somewhat smooth.

Oh and I welded the brake bosses on myself.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
sweet bike, don't listen to the kiddies about your brake, Thats my biggest complaint about little bikes sh*t brakes

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i'm not trying to start a fight/argument but plenty of people do those tricks without those brakes. many with one finger on their lever....

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I 1-finger my 990s and they work fine for fufanus and such... just get the balance point right.

I didn't really learn to manual until 990s made me stop relying on the brake.

The work just well enough.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Oh I'm quite aware of brakeless riding and the fact that U-brakes can do the job. It's a preference thing. I want my brakes to be strong. Not just work well enough.