Quantcast

Upgrade current bike or save for new one??

I've been turning this question around in my head for awhile and thought I would make a post to get some outside opinions.

last summer when i got back into biking i bought a Trek 4900 http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4900.jsp

At this point I guess I didn't think I would be as into it as I am now so 500 seemed like a lot of money to spend at the time. During the summer and since i've been at school i've put a lot of miles on the bike and did my first XC race on it. It is a solid frame that rides pretty well, my only real complaint is the stiffness that comes with being an aluminum hardtail, it can get pretty rough going over rocks and roots at speed. The bike is completley stock except for the wheels which have been replaced with rhyno lites on xt disc hubs.

I plan to continue to ride frequently and want to get more into competative xc racing. So keeping the college student budget in mind, is it worth putting more money into this bike. The next two upgrades I would be looking into would be a new fork, possibly a used black elite or fox if the price is right (suggestions needed here too) and also new pedals.

thanks for the help.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1500 will buy you a nice bike used or on closeout. Check eBay and the MTBr classifieds for bikes, or talk to your LBS, they might be able to hook you up. The problem with the 4900 is that by the time all is said in done, you'll have upgraded nearly everything and you'll be farther in the hole than if you just bought a new one. I learned the hard way, I used to have a KHS Alite 1000 that I progressively upgraded, but it cost more money to upgrade everything than to buy a new bike. I guess it was kind of like paying interest on the new bike that it eventually became. A 4900 is a great starter bike, but once you get really serious into riding/racing, its probably time to just buy a whole new machine.

Slish

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
Calgary
As a person who was in your position once, I decided to upgrade my components on my hardtail as they wore out. A $600 bike is now a $2000 + bike.
If I had taken that money at the time and used it to buy a better bike, I would have been a helluva lot better off but what are you gonna do? It was a learning experience that allowed me to buy my FS bike with confidence.
I would keep it as a commuter or sell it and use the proceeds towards a new one.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
I'm in the same boat. I have a Trek 4300 that I bought, thinking it would be enough, but I have discovered it's not. I don't have the money for a new bike, but I would like to get a new fork and maybe different tires. I don't have all that much spare cash to spend on this things.

Any recommandations on a decent fork(better then this crappy InSync) that won't break the bank; same with the tires?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If you want a whole other level of performance I would buy a new bike.

For those jsut looking to milk some more time out of the current bike by looking at forks and such. I suggest a used fork be an option .....or a closeout. No need paying full retail on a chi-chi fork when last years models are 1/3 of the new ones. Don't buy a class A fork for a class C bike. The NSync fork could be outshined by many a fork...maybe the Manatou Black forks they have on sale for under $200 brand new or probably even less used. Just beware and know the condition of the fork when buying used.

Buying a new bike is dang near always going to be cheaper....that said many of us still buy the new bike and start replacing stuff to fit us better...raising the purchase price of the new bike making it less of a deal. If you are looking for a better XC racing rig under $1500 (I agree with others shop closeouts if possible) go HT but there are plenty of good FS bikes for under $1500 also.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Blueadder said:
what's a good source for info on other forks?
You might want to try searching this board for "forks" or "best forks." The only problem is that if you ask "what's the best fork?" you might as well be asking "what's your favorite color?" Everyone has a different opinion. Maybe start a new thread asking the question, but set some parameters such as it has to fall within a certain price range, a certain amount of travel, and/or a certain weight range. You'll get a lot more useful info that way.

That being said, there are a lot of good deals out there on previous year models and used forks.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
My 2 cents:

I say keep it and upgrade. If you're new to mtb'ing, ride your hardtail for a couple years before going full-sus. You'll be a better rider for it. Learn to pick a good line instead of just bashing through stuff, and when you do upgrade, you'll be smoother and faster.

And if you want to get into racing, a different set of wheels will give you the most bang for your buck. I know you already upgraded to Rhino Lites on XT hubs, but those things are PIGS. I ditched a pair exactly like that for a set of Velocity VXC on WTB Lazer Lite disc hubs and dropped 3 lbs off my bike.

As far as pedals go, I highly recommend Crank Bros Eggbeaters, or their newer siblings, the Candys.