Quantcast

Upgrade current rig, or buy a new bike? help plz!

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
Hey everyone its been a long while since i've posted but i'm in a bit of a predicament. Right now I have a 07 IronHorse Yakuza Chimpira, completely stock. I've blown the spinner ammo fork, bent the cranks & pedals, stripped the seat, it needs a new chain and also needs the shifters / brakes adjusted.

Question is, would it be better to upgrade the fork/seat/crank/pedals or get a new rig altogether? i like the frame because its bulletproof, but i'm unsure if i should just get a new rig completely. I ride alot of trails but take some 2-3' drops on occasion.

My price range is 1k-1200, either to upgrade or save for a new bike. What are my options out there?

Thanks in advance, its been a while so i'm not up to date on the good parts out there I could use, or what bikes within that price range might be better suited.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As nice as the Ironhorse bikes are, I wouldn't get one now because IH has gone out of business (one of the reasons that bike is so cheap). As of right now there's no support or ways to get parts in case something breaks. There are rumors floating around that a reputable company is going to be making replacement parts for them, but at this point its still just rumors (but judging that it came from DW himself I'd venture that there's a good amount of truth to it).

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
As nice as the Ironhorse bikes are, I wouldn't get one now because IH has gone out of business (one of the reasons that bike is so cheap). As of right now there's no support or ways to get parts in case something breaks. There are rumors floating around that a reputable company is going to be making replacement parts for them, but at this point its still just rumors (but judging that it came from DW himself I'd venture that there's a good amount of truth to it).
Oh i had no idea they went out of business. I had great customer service from them a few years ago when i broke a frame so i wanted to stick with them. Thanks for the heads up, i'll peruse local Craigslist.

is the giant trance series good? what about the trek fuel series? i'm looking for more an all mountain bike, i may have posted in the wrong section :bonk: