Quantcast

upgrade help????

xanderx918

Chimp
Feb 8, 2010
i have receantly purchased a diamondback coil ex for a reasonable price. it really isnt an awesome bike but i think its something to build on and i am a amature i guess when it comes to being book smart with all the bike parts like when i look at shocks and hubs and wat not theres all these terms i do not know anything about and i dont know what parts would be best for me. i ride downhill alot and i want to build on my diamondback. i need to upgrade on the disc brakes the front fork the shifters ( and the whole gear seatup) the rear shocks, let me put it this way basically everything but the frame of the bike needs some upgrades to make it a reasonable durable downhill bike. if anyone can give me some specifications to go by that be great or some products you recomend, and maybe a little help with all these terms for the parts i dont know about like: WEIGHT (1 1/8" steerer)
5.28 lbs (2.39 kg)

WEIGHT (1.5" straight steerer)
5.21 lbs (2.36 kg)

WEIGHT (1.5" taper steerer)
5.26 lbs (2.36 kg)

TRAVEL
6.3 inches (160 mm)

ADJUSTMENTS
EXTERNAL- Low speed compression
- High speed compression- Coil spring preload- ReboundINTERNAL- Hydraulic bottom-out resistance
in damper

DAMPER
FIT

LOWER LEG
- 20QR thru-axle system - post-style disc brake mounting

STEERER
Standard: 1 1/8"
Option: 1.5"
Option: 1.5" Taper

SPRING
Steel Spring
i have no idea what any of this means and i think its esssential to learn if i want to get serious about riding and purchashing parts for my bike frame.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i have receantly purchased a diamondback coil ex for a reasonable price. it really isnt an awesome bike but i think its something to build on and i am a amature i guess when it comes to being book smart with all the bike parts like when i look at shocks and hubs and wat not theres all these terms i do not know anything about and i dont know what parts would be best for me. i ride downhill alot and i want to build on my diamondback. i need to upgrade on the disc brakes the front fork the shifters ( and the whole gear seatup) the rear shocks, let me put it this way basically everything but the frame of the bike needs some upgrades to make it a reasonable durable downhill bike. if anyone can give me some specifications to go by that be great or some products you recomend, and maybe a little help with all these terms for the parts i dont know about like: WEIGHT (1 1/8" steerer)
5.28 lbs (2.39 kg)

WEIGHT (1.5" straight steerer)
5.21 lbs (2.36 kg)

WEIGHT (1.5" taper steerer)
5.26 lbs (2.36 kg)

TRAVEL
6.3 inches (160 mm)

ADJUSTMENTS
EXTERNAL- Low speed compression
- High speed compression- Coil spring preload- ReboundINTERNAL- Hydraulic bottom-out resistance
in damper

DAMPER
FIT

LOWER LEG
- 20QR thru-axle system - post-style disc brake mounting

STEERER
Standard: 1 1/8"
Option: 1.5"
Option: 1.5" Taper

SPRING
Steel Spring
i have no idea what any of this means and i think its esssential to learn if i want to get serious about riding and purchashing parts for my bike frame.
Well first off its all relevant to a fork, steer tube is the part that goes through the headset on the Head tube of the bike.
1 1/8th and 1.5 is the size of the steer tube so if your bike has a 1.5 HT (head tube) its an inch and a half accross meaning you need either a fork with a 1.5 steer or a reducer headset to take the HT from 1.5 to 1 1/8th.

Taper is a 1.5 to 1 1/8 and its just that it tapers from one size to the next and is starting to work its way into the industry recently.

FIT is a cartridge in the fork its an internal unit, steel spring is obviousley that and can be a small on for when the fork blows through its travel and hits hard, t keeps it from slamming you really hard or its a coil fork meaning it uses a spring instead of air to hold itself up and then the spring weight is for the weight of the rider if your a klydesdale (heavy) then you will need a firm spring if your a paper clip then you need a light spring.

Just start reading and looking around it will all start to make sense soon enough.

Good luck and welcome

xanderx918

Chimp
Feb 8, 2010
yeah mann ill have to look into alot of this stuff lol like i said i have the ridin skill its jus all this book smart stuff haha