Quantcast

Upgrade or buy new?

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
I need some help deciding what direction to go here. Right now I have an '01 GT Zaskar Team with a Marzocchi X-Fly 100. I'm running Mavic wheels and all XT gear. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to disc brakes or would it be more worth my while to get an all new bike.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Your bike is 7 years old. Many improvements have happened in that time. Buy new.
What's your budget?

DHM

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
I have disc tabs front and rear already. Everything's still working well; the fork hasn't got any issues and the frame is still as stiff as the day I bought it.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Spending more money on a 7 year old bike will most likely make you hang on to your bike even longer.
Buy a new bike and you will be stoked with your decision. Way too many changes in suspension in those 7 years. Why handicap yourself?
Obstacles will seam easier (resulting in more fun) and climbing and descending will be much better too.
For around $1,500.00 you can get a decent bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Also - I had a 2001 X-Fly 100 air and I hated that POS!!! I ended up giving to Dumbikes for free and now he hates me...

Honestly the worst fork I ever owned and I have owed a 97 RS Judy...

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Strange...I haven't had a single problem with my X-Fly. The only thing I've had to do was put more pressure in it than recommended as a personal preference.

Well, I think I'm going to keep this beast for the foreseeable future. I guess having a second kid on the way will do that to ya. I found a set of '07 Avid BB7s on PricePoint for $100. That's looking like the best option in the way of funds right now. After that I think I'll rebuild my '94 GT LTS. :D

Thanks for the input, guys!:cheers:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While there is most likely nothing wrong with your old bike - it is old by MTB standards. Treat yourself to a new bike. :)
on the other hand, i have just as much fun as the next guy on my fully rigid 1996-era Diamondback Racing Axis. Tange Prestige, 1996 XTR (first year of the new gen), Chris King, oh yeah.