Quantcast

upgrade suggestions

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I've had this bike built for 6 months or so. Everything was new except the V-brakes, and the fork. I bought new vbrake crossmax wheels (long story)

Anyway, I'd like to add a new fork and disc brakes.
(im putting the old SID, Vbrakes and Vbrake crossmax back on the old frame)

I'm going to buy Disc crossmax wheels.

This bike is currently 22 lbs. I'm wanting to keep this bike light and be as weight weenie as i can affort to be.

What fork and what brakes do you suggest?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
If your going to be a weight weenie your stuck with the Sid I think. Personally i perfer the reba, i think the better performance makes up for the wieght pick up. Brakes, Magura Marta SLs are the way to go, if you want even lighter use the Stans rotors, but they will burn out quicker than the stock ones.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I just built up a hardtail with a new Sid Race which works very well for me. Your other obvious choice for a light fork is a Manitou R7. As for brakes to save weight I went back to v-brakes (Avid Ultimates w/ CrossMax XL's) on this bike. I am running Avid BB7 mech discs on a single speed and I have been very impressed with their performance. Hope this is of some help. Nice ride BTW.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
For the fork, get a Reba WC or Fox F80RLT. Weight penalty will not be that much for using a much nicer fork (.3 lbs?). You may want to consider trying a new SID...they are substantially nicer than in years past. Avid Mecs or Magura Marta SLs should be the only discs you're considering if you want light.

My neighbors have 4 Orbeas...such sexy bikes...me want...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
blue said:
For the fork, get a Reba WC or Fox F80RLT. Weight penalty will not be that much for using a much nicer fork (.3 lbs?). You may want to consider trying a new SID...they are substantially nicer than in years past. Avid Mecs or Magura Marta SLs should be the only discs you're considering if you want light.

My neighbors have 4 Orbeas...such sexy bikes...me want...
Avid mechs, while good brakes, are nowhere near light. Regular Martas can be made lighter than SLs with a few bolts swaps (ti caliper and aluminum lever) and they are much cheaper. It is also quite easy to put together a wheel set that is lighter and cheaper than Crossmax SLs and still be tubeless.

Oro Puro Golds by the way are the same weight as Martas and they already have the upgraded hardware, ie. no place else to save except for a rotor swap.

If you really want to go weight weenie, lose the lock-ons for foam grips, XT crankset, Thomson stem for any number of options, SRAM cassette for an XTR, aluminum post and what looks to be a heavy WTB saddle. X.0 grip shifters would drop weight too but you may not want to go there.

The bike does look good though.