Quantcast

Upgrades for best possible Techinical trail Hardtail?

Sep 30, 2004
Hey all,

I'v got an 04 P2 and I purchased the bike cause I was messing my trek Fuel up at the moment it's in the shop awaiting a new swingarm the old one got a huge crack in it.

So anyway I love my P2 and the reason I bought it was because it was like $650 I love to do technical trails which involve Drops anywhere from 2-12 ft tons of log rides teeters just all that good fun stuff, as of right now I don't do any dirt jumping but I ride motocross so I see how much fun it could be.
Anyway I'm curious as to what are the best upgrades to make a sick trail bike I was thinking of a 5 inch fork, Upgrade the stock Hayes brakes cause they're terrible and beefying up my wheelset what products you think I should look into specially the fork.
What's the deal with through axle advantages?
Right now I'm pretty much riding the bike till stuff the fork has held up but I havn't really dropped that big yet at all just like about 6 foot from drop to trans.
What forks would you reccomond keep in mind this is a trail bike I know it woulda been better to look into like A Kona stinky, Or like a Giant AC Cannondale gemini but I don't have the cash and my trek was getting trashed.

Thx,
Later

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Whats you budget? Also, try posting in the DH forum, youll get faster responses there.
As for a fork, might i suggest the z150? an overall great fork. beefy, lots o travel. Also, a fork that i can speak off of personal experience for is the psylo. stiff enough, supple travel (since plush is outlawed) 5". though axle adavanages? stiffness. noticably stiffer than regular qr. skewers. also, give you the ability to run an 8inch front rotor without worrying about your dropouts cracking. Wheelset: azonic outlaw, $279 from wheelworld.com The best wheelset i have ridden aside from mavic d321's laced to hadleys. But that would probably be out of pricerange. Yea, the azonic outlaws you can use with a thru axle or regular qr's because they're convertable. And tough. I ride northeastern trails which are generally pretty rocky and they have only needed 1 truings since june. No flat spots either. As for brakes, you'll always hear different people say different things. Some favor hopes, some favor hayes. As for me, i say go with avid mechanicals with a good housing/cable like the Ride-On goretex housing and teflon coated cables. Run full housing too. Or, hope mono mini's sound like they woould fit the application. No experience with those though.

Feb 18, 2004
California
jr.t-jenson 400 bucks or get the manitoue stance flow only 350
get some single tracks which are about like 150-200
brakes-unreal cycles has these brakes called diatech anchors-there white.. i think there better than hayes..200 a set

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
you can turn in your EXR and get a marz like half off i would say that the JR T is a bad idea i know someone who did it and his bike feels like a pile of **** my P2 has a 5 inch fork and feels realy good

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
TheMontashu said:
you can turn in your EXR and get a marz like half off i would say that the JR T is a bad idea i know someone who did it and his bike feels like a pile of **** my P2 has a 5 inch fork and feels realy good
I have a z150 on mine... a little raked for DJ/Street but perfect for all around. I <3 it.

Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for the advice all Z1 seems like a real good choice.

And I'll replace the other items as they break, except the brakes those gotta go soon for some avid mechanicals.

Thx again.