Quantcast

Upgrades for my C-dale for racing next year

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I want to upgrade stuff on my C-dale it's an F800 2002 model it's kale coloered i think i asked this before but i want more replies. I'll be racing alot next year every week.
The whole drive train is preety much finished so all that except the front deraileur needs replacing for next year. What would be your choice for a replacement.
Is there anything else that might make me faster that won't cost a fortune that you see on the list.
Thanks
jmac

Frame CAAD5 Mountain

Fork HeadShok Lefty DLR, variable travel

Rims Mavic X223, 32 hole

Hubs Cannondale Lefty front/Cannondale Expert disc rear

Tires Maxxis Swampthing 2.1

Pedals Time Atac

Crank Cannondale EX3, 22/32/44

Chain Sram PC59

Rear Cogs Shimano Deore 9-speed, 11-32

Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink

Front Derailleur Shimano LX

Rear Derailleur Shimano XT

Shifters Shimano Deore

Handlebars coda expert flat bars

Brakeset Magura Julie

Saddle Cannondale Expert

Weight 26 lb

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Nothing you can change will make you go any faster on this ride. I just think you wanted us all to know you had a lefty... :D
i was gonna say the same thing

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
alright you are wantin to change out your drive train completely? that right there is gonna be pretty expensive buddy. butttt if you are gonna do it, do it right the first time. i'd go ahead n get a set of cranks that have a 5 bolt pattern, something like race face. i say this b/c it's pretty easy to find different chain ring sizes for a compact 5 bolt then it is for a compact 4. this will allow you to change your gear ratios up n see what suits you best. i personally like a 29/42 up front w/ an 11-27 in the rear for local races, then for nationals i'll throw an 11-32 or 12-34 on. if you go w/ race face go w/ an isis drive bb. you can get a bill schook steel axel bb for $60 i think n they are the lightest bb for isis on the market. if for whatever reason you decide to run that ratio i run i'd run an ulterga cassette just to save some $$ over the DA. but if you go w/ an 11-32, i'd go w/ next year's xtr. just simply can't go run w/ those cassettes. i like the sram cassettes a LOT, the only thing i don't like is the HUGE jump between the last two gears. it goes from like a 28 to a 34 which is a big jump. go ahead n replace the front derailuer, if you can get a shop to hook you up you should be able to get an xtr, which is what you really want n will never need to replace, for about 60 bones. if you like the shimano rapid fire then i'd say go n get a pair of the last year xtr b/c you can get them cheap right about now, ORRRRRRR find a shop who has a pair of the new xtr shifters on it and give that bike for a short whirl and see how you like em. if you like em then well go for it. replace the coda bar for an easton carbon, and the coda saddle for a flite. oh go ahead n stay w/ the sram chains. the new xtr rear derailuer is probably going to run nice but same situation applies w/ this as it did w/ the shifters, you can get the 02 for CHEAP right now so nothing wrong w/ savin a little money. you can always find sweet sets of disc wheels for cheap. just make sure either the hub is compatible or has an adopter to fit the magura's. throw a thomston seat post into the mix and you are set for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time. just make sure to replace your chain about every 2 months and your cassette about once a year and you are set.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
WOW thats the kinda reply i was looking for.
I can't realy see why XTR shifters would realy be any better than XT.
I was thinking already of getting XT cassets, XTR rear derailleur, PC 99 chain, and either XT shifter or sram rocket shifters can't decide.
I already replaced the seatpost i really like the pazzaz post light and very strong i think.
I just can't decide on the crankset i can get last years LX or XT and it will fit my BB. I wouldn't be worried about getting new chainrings cause the crank doesn't cost much so i'd get a new one. what would you do?

And my coda bars are very light but they're 23'' wide i'd like something wider like 24.5'' or more does anyone make a flat bar that wide?

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
i think that a tubeless wheelset would be a very good choice for you. you should go to a store and ride some to make sure you appreciate the feel, but it would allow you to climb faster, if you use them properly.

plus, i'm pretty sure that the XT cranks are lighter than the XTR for 2002. yep, 670 (4-bolt XT) instead of 681 (4-bolt XTR) or 712 (5-bolt XTR). but Race Face Next LP's are 615 with rings. i think that's the way to go.

ben.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
WOW thats the kinda reply i was looking for.
I can't realy see why XTR shifters would realy be any better than XT.
I was thinking already of getting XT cassets, XTR rear derailleur, PC 99 chain, and either XT shifter or sram rocket shifters can't decide.
I already replaced the seatpost i really like the pazzaz post light and very strong i think.
I just can't decide on the crankset i can get last years LX or XT and it will fit my BB. I wouldn't be worried about getting new chainrings cause the crank doesn't cost much so i'd get a new one. what would you do?

And my coda bars are very light but they're 23'' wide i'd like something wider like 24.5'' or more does anyone make a flat bar that wide?
those wheels on ebay look like a pretty sweet deal. they aren't going to make you go faster. you have to keep in mind none of this stuff will actually make you go faster, the only thing it is going to do is allow you to race harder w/ less failures. n trust me the xtr stuff is worth the value over the xt if you are going to be racing alot. espically in the shifters and cassette, the two areas you were thinking of going xt. you'll notice a big different in both items. n dude a good set of cranks is gonna run you back a few bones. i'd seriously go w/ a set of race face lp's n get an isis bb. shimano is changing their entire spline setup w/ the new xtr stuff and w/ in the next few years it will slowly trickle down into xt. but we'll see what happens to the entire bb n crank interface standards when interbike rolls around, they are talkin bout enlarging the bb shells n some other good stuff. i'll give you more info later gotta bounce

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I would also change tires and to stan's or eclipse tubeless...
I like Kenda Kozmik lights...

And change sram and coda parts to shimano (XT's... or whatever, saves you some weight) but thats just me...

Lighter seatpost,seat and bar also.... and i would run 12-27 in the rear and on front 32/44

I would ditch the disc and race with v's...

Wheel change is nice also but i like stan's tubeless system better than UST... (since its lighter).

Well good luck and have fun...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
Indie: You only have a 42 up front?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
i've got a 44 right now, but i'm using an 11-27 in the rear. the 42 is a nice set up. i'd actually like to run like a 36/40 up front just for mid range gears. b/c think about it when are you actually using the 44/12 or a 42/11? almost never. i'm just switchin ratios around to find something that works a little better depending on the conditons. hell a bunch of pros at snow shoe took the big ring off their xtr set up n just used the little n middle ring. on a course like that you are never in your big ring or really don't have to use it. heidi you should really try out using different ratios you might actually stumble across one you like.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Babar
I would also change tires and to stan's or eclipse tubeless...
I like Kenda Kozmik lights...

And change sram and coda parts to shimano (XT's... or whatever, saves you some weight) but thats just me...

Lighter seatpost,seat and bar also.... and i would run 12-27 in the rear and on front 32/44

I would ditch the disc and race with v's...

Wheel change is nice also but i like stan's tubeless system better than UST... (since its lighter).

Well good luck and have fun...
kenda has a nice tire line up. but the problem w/ using the stan tubeless w/ a tire like this or any other tire is that the tire is not designed to be tubeless. so the sidewalls are going to be a LOT thinner and are not meant to handle the stress that is put on the side wall when running a tubeless set up. for his age i wouldn't recommend running a 32/44 w/ an 11-27 in the rear. this will only cause problems for him in the long run w/ his knees. jmac is still growing and running a pretty big gear ratio like that will more then likely depend knee problems for him much like it did for me when i was about his age. and he can't switch to v's b/c both his frame and fork do not offer v mounts.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well indieboy about answered it all for me. I don't think i'll that wheelset on ebay cause i won't have the money for a new wheelset until late winter April at the latest but i think i'd rather spend the money on other stuff like a road big and a freeride bike. Also i'm thinking of after next year of racing depending on were i am in racing i might get a new bike for the next year 2004 like a Cannondale Scalple 1000 or 3000 or Giant NRS 1 or a specialized epic.
I'd still keep my F800 cause so i don't mind putting alot of money in it.

I've really never tried XTR much but when i did it was reallllllllllllllllly nice and i guess it would make more sense to put my money towards a really good drive train cause i ride alot i've already but over 1500 KM on it since i got it at the start of JULY. Next year i'll be doing more racing than this year including some long distance raids 55-180km races.

The main reason i keep wanting to go with XT casssets is that in Montain Bike the said they prefered them over XTR cause of the more options in sizes.

Having that 2xp set up wouldn't be a bad idea for most races. I don't think i've actually ever used my granny in a race before i almost always stay in my middle ring and than my big one for sprinting to the finish. I do need the big cassets in the back though.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well indieboy about answered it all for me. I don't think i'll that wheelset on ebay cause i won't have the money for a new wheelset until late winter April at the latest but i think i'd rather spend the money on other stuff like a road big and a freeride bike. Also i'm thinking of after next year of racing depending on were i am in racing i might get a new bike for the next year 2004 like a Cannondale Scalple 1000 or 3000 or Giant NRS 1 or a specialized epic.
I'd still keep my F800 cause so i don't mind putting alot of money in it.

I've really never tried XTR much but when i did it was reallllllllllllllllly nice and i guess it would make more sense to put my money towards a really good drive train cause i ride alot i've already but over 1500 KM on it since i got it at the start of JULY. Next year i'll be doing more racing than this year including some long distance raids 55-180km races.

The main reason i keep wanting to go with XT casssets is that in Montain Bike the said they prefered them over XTR cause of the more options in sizes.

Having that 2xp set up wouldn't be a bad idea for most races. I don't think i've actually ever used my granny in a race before i almost always stay in my middle ring and than my big one for sprinting to the finish. I do need the big cassets in the back though.
that was for this year and previous years xt, however w/ next years xtr stuff you'll have a lot more choices in cassette sizes.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
From pricepoint.com I can get XTR 12-34 Titanium cassets, PC99 chain, XTR shifters , XTR rapid rise rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur. All that for about 384.00 USD
I can confince myself to spend that much if XTR stuff really will work noticeble better than what i have now and that it will withstand the abuse of racing longer and better. So is that much better? Also how long do XTR TI cassets usally last how many KM or Miles.

So now it's just the crankset i just can't get my head over spending that much on XTR or Next LP

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
From pricepoint.com I can get XTR 12-34 Titanium cassets, PC99 chain, XTR shifters , XTR rapid rise rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur. All that for about 384.00 USD
I can confince myself to spend that much if XTR stuff really will work noticeble better than what i have now and that it will withstand the abuse of racing longer and better. So is that much better? Also how long do XTR TI cassets usally last how many KM or Miles.

So now it's just the crankset i just can't get my head over spending that much on XTR or Next LP
i would go w/ that set up but you don't have to go w/ xtr cranks or next lp's. if i were you i'd go w/ the lp's. they are less expensive then the next's, maybe not as stiff but i honestly doubt you'll feel a different btw the 2 cranks. the equipment will last a long time if you take care of it and maintain it. the xtr ti cassettes last a while, generally it's a good idea to replace a cassette about once a year.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I just read the reviews at MTBR.com of XTR ti cassets and everyone says they suck because they are very weak and don't last long alot of people say the XT shifts just as well and last longer. Also would Sram Rocket shifters be better than XTR because you can micro adjust the front derailler.?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
What about Truvativ stylo team cranks? i've heard good thing about them.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy

i've got a 44 right now, but i'm using an 11-27 in the rear. the 42 is a nice set up. i'd actually like to run like a 36/40 up front just for mid range gears. b/c think about it when are you actually using the 44/12 or a 42/11? almost never. i'm just switchin ratios around to find something that works a little better depending on the conditons. hell a bunch of pros at snow shoe took the big ring off their xtr set up n just used the little n middle ring. on a course like that you are never in your big ring or really don't have to use it. heidi you should really try out using different ratios you might actually stumble across one you like.
Actually, I have stumbled across ones I like.:D I have a 46 up front and use it on flats a lot. I like my big ring - lots of speed and power. That has continued to be a big focus of mine...big gears with the same high cadence.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

Actually, I have stumbled across ones I like.:D I have a 46 up front and use it on flats a lot. I like my big ring - lots of speed and power. That has continued to be a big focus of mine...big gears with the same high cadence.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
better stock up on some xtr big rings b/c they aren't makin that size chain ring anymore. they've switched to compact for the new set up. is the flats the only place you can push the 46? don't stick w/ one gear set up even if you might like it alot b/c there are soooooo many different set up you would be amazed at what each can do. and trust me NO you won't run out of gears w/ a 42.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
What about Truvativ stylo team cranks? i've heard good thing about them.
the truvativ cranks aren't that bad. haven't used a set though so i honestly don't know. the xt cassettes are nice but i think the xtr's are better. don't worry to much about the micro adjustment b/c if you have it adjusted properly then you won't have that problem. and if you are running a triple you shouldn't be crosschaining it and shouldn't have to worry about the chain rubbing the front derailuer cage.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

better stock up on some xtr big rings b/c they aren't makin that size chain ring anymore. they've switched to compact for the new set up. is the flats the only place you can push the 46? don't stick w/ one gear set up even if you might like it alot b/c there are soooooo many different set up you would be amazed at what each can do. and trust me NO you won't run out of gears w/ a 42.
I know, I was bummed to find out the XTR is only coming in a 44:( :( :( :( I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO would run out of gears with a friggin 42.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think i'll get an XTR over raceface but can someone give me 3 good reasons to spend the more than 2 times the price for XTR over XT.
Also my bike uses 113x68 BB XTR doesn't have that size?:confused:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok i can't see that XTR crankset would be that much better so here's my list.

XTR rapid rise rear derailleur SGS M953
XTR Bottom pull none top swing front derailleur
XTR shifters
Ride ON Gortex Shifter cable set
XT hollowtech crankset
XT 11-34 tooth cassets
Sram PC 99 chain

Price 442 USD

how does that sound is it all capatible?

Also whats the best wide flat bar?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

I know, I was bummed to find out the XTR is only coming in a 44:( :( :( :( I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO would run out of gears with a friggin 42.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
you'd have to max out at about 40 something mph to run out of gears w/ a 42 and so trust me when i say i don't think you'd run out of gears w/ it. i know you are a strong rider but i never ran out of gears w/ it and most pro's wouldn't. i really think w/ the conditions you ride in that running an 11-27 may help you on some courses.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ok i can't see that XTR crankset would be that much better so here's my list.

XTR rapid rise rear derailleur SGS M953
XTR Bottom pull none top swing front derailleur
XTR shifters
Ride ON Gortex Shifter cable set
XT hollowtech crankset
XT 11-34 tooth cassets
Sram PC 99 chain

Price 442 USD

how does that sound is it all capatible?

Also whats the best wide flat bar?
the thing w/ the xtr cranks that make them so much better then xt is the shifting ramps on the chainrings are of much better quality and you have a lot better shifting. the arms are also a lot stiffer and the bb last a lot longer. ditch the gore cables b/c they suck. just use either regular cables or get some sorta teflon coated cables. something like the xtr cables are pretty sweet. go ahead n get some regular shimano housing. they are a lot cheaper and will shift just as well as the gore on. the gore cables are really hard to set up and if you don't put them in properly will shift like ass. just replace the normal cables about ever 2-3 months. or after ever nasty race. other then that you should be set. you shouldnt' really be worried about a wide flat bar. you should run a bar that is about as wide as you shoulders, but if you want one titec makes some nice wide flat bars. i tihnk they are called the hell risers or something like that.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well i understand that XTR is alot better but i really don't want to put down that amount of cash so i think i'll stick with XT crankset and cassets and XTR shifter/derailleurs.
Thanks for all the help Monkeys:thumb:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
If youre also kinda crazy like me you can ty putting on a road bike parts on it...

Im runnning ritchey WCS road parts (stem and seatpost).

I personally like gore cables much smoother...

And unless your real picky (and sensitive to shifting and braking) i would just build it up all XT and save some money...

I really like stans and kozmik setup other than few leaks i get...

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
well, if you're sensitive to how your bike shifts, get an 11-27 cassette and use a short cage XTR rear derailleur or shimano road derailleur (i.e. ultegra or dura-ace), your shifting will be crisper, and you'll be less likely to hit the derailleur on rocks and logs.
each rear der. has a maximum allowable combination, this is why i think you'd need to run an 11-27. maybe someone else can give a bit more insight to this, but i'll be going this way on my bike soon.

ben.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by scofflaw23
well, if you're sensitive to how your bike shifts, get an 11-27 cassette and use a short cage XTR rear derailleur or shimano road derailleur (i.e. ultegra or dura-ace), your shifting will be crisper, and you'll be less likely to hit the derailleur on rocks and logs.
each rear der. has a maximum allowable combination, this is why i think you'd need to run an 11-27. maybe someone else can give a bit more insight to this, but i'll be going this way on my bike soon.

ben.
one of the reason why i run it. one of the reasons why i've got both a short cage n long cage 9.0sl derailuer too, so i can switch when i run different ratios.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Will a rapid rise rear derailleur work with 11-34 or 12-34 rear cogs?
Also i never really thought about Sram derailleurs most likely i'll go XTR but what are some of the pros and cons of sram?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Will a rapid rise rear derailleur work with 11-34 or 12-34 rear cogs?
Also i never really thought about Sram derailleurs most likely i'll go XTR but what are some of the pros and cons of sram?
as long as the deraliuer isn't a short cage then it will run either one of those ratios. i personally really like the sram stuff and taht's all i run drivetrain wise except the xtr front derailuer. but i've never had any problems w/ my sram stuff. it runs smoothly in every nasty condition i have thrown at it. it's made of composite(plastic) so it's pretty light weight and is actually very durable. sram's customer service beats the HELL out of shimano. any one that i've ever known that has ever had any problems w/ their equipment they have taken care of and gotten them a replacement part. at nationals they are great, you just roll your bike up and drop it off, tell them what is wrong, come back a little bit later, and your bike is runnin smooth as butta. it's not for everyone though. i just personally like the gripshifters, always have, and running gripshift you just get a more precise shift out of a derailuer that is made to specificly work w/ that shifter. if you like the feel of grip shift then run w/ the sram stuff, but if you like the trigger shifters then shimano is the way to go. both have their pro's n con's it's just all a personal preference.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've actually like grip shift to it makes you feel faster.
Do you have any experience with the new X.0 shifter and derailler it would cost me about the same as XTR rear and shifters.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I've actually like grip shift to it makes you feel faster.
Do you have any experience with the new X.0 shifter and derailler it would cost me about the same as XTR rear and shifters.
yeah the xo stuff is sweeeeeeeet. you can probably get the 02 on close out somewhere or else it's gonna run you a little bit. to be honest i'm not srue what it's retailing for......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm ordering everything from either PricePoint.com or some other web retailer a rear der and shifer combo will just me like 10-15$ more than XTR rear and shifters.
I read alot of reveiws of the ne XO including one in MBA and they all really like and they're just so sexy.
So i think i'm going to go sram XO with XTR front der.
They all say that the XO is realy reliable and easy to adjust which i really like.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'm ordering everything from either PricePoint.com or some other web retailer a rear der and shifer combo will just me like 10-15$ more than XTR rear and shifters.
I read alot of reveiws of the ne XO including one in MBA and they all really like and they're just so sexy.
So i think i'm going to go sram XO with XTR front der.
They all say that the XO is realy reliable and easy to adjust which i really like.
yeah it's very easy to adjust just get the limits right, and use the barrel adjusters at the shifters to fine tune.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

yeah it's very easy to adjust just get the limits right, and use the barrel adjusters at the shifters to fine tune.
oh and get the b screw set up probably

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh also how do sram XO work in muddy conditions do they work as well as XTR? Also i think i'll get sram 9 powerglide cassets to top it off instead of XT cause i figure the chain was meant for it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Oh also how do sram XO work in muddy conditions do they work as well as XTR? Also i think i'll get sram 9 powerglide cassets to top it off instead of XT cause i figure the chain was meant for it.
the xo stuff works great in muddy stuff. i would keep the xt cassette. i like my sram cassette, it shifts well but i don't think they are as durable as shimano cassettes.