Quantcast

upgrading to IE7 while keeping IE6

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Is it possible to upgrade to IE 7 while keeping IE6? I do a lot of website design and application development, so I need both for testing purposes.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
A friend of mine the other day was telling me he was using a Firefox plugin to swap out different browser engines for testing of his work.

Mike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wow, that sounds cool, assuming it's reliable. I'll see if I can find it, but if you see him, can you ask him what plug in it is or where I can find it?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've been looking at that today. I have an accounting app that only runs on IE6...which is retarded since IE7 upgrades happen automatically for users.

It looks like it's a large PITA. One more reason I'm going to punch Bill Gates in the face if I meet him and then thank him for his charitable work...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've been looking at that today. I have an accounting app that only runs on IE6...which is retarded since IE7 upgrades happen automatically for users.

It looks like it's a large PITA. One more reason I'm going to punch Bill Gates in the face if I meet him and then thank him for his charitable work...
MS provides two free solutions to prevent automatic upgrading. Use a WSUS patch management server or IE7 blocker toolkit.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MS provides two free solutions to prevent automatic upgrading. Use a WSUS patch management server or IE7 blocker toolkit.
Which is great, but that doesn't help my sister in law who has a new Vista laptop.

It would have also helped if IE was less risky than screwing an HIV positive Haitian prostitute in the ass without lube after making 50 cuts on the head of your penis with a razor blade...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Which is great, but that doesn't help my sister in law who has a new Vista laptop.

It would have also helped if IE was less risky than screwing an HIV positive Haitian prostitute in the ass without lube after making 50 cuts on the head of your penis with a razor blade...
Thats not what you complained about though - I gave a solution to the problem you described. Dell has started offering XP again to those consumers who don't like being early adopters.

Also Microsoft grants free XP licensing to anyone who buy a Vista Business or Ultimate computer and wants to downgrade to XP (and you can still upgrade later, you just can't run both at once):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?

Yes. OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition). End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License). Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business. There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.
Or...just have her run Opera or Firefox. I switched my grandmother to Firefox years ago, she's never complained.

Whats with all your overblown graphic comparisons today :bonk:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Or...just have her run Opera or Firefox. I switched my grandmother to Firefox years ago, she's never complained.

Whats with all your overblown graphic comparisons today :bonk:
She can't. The specific accounting software her company uses is ActiveX only, and only supported on IE6. Which is really dumb of the accounting software company...considering the automatic updates.

The only way she can get to IE is to use a shortcut that takes her directly to that application. Everything else is Firefox.