Quantcast

Upper Windmill tr. @ WR temp. closed

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Much to our displeasure it was discovered today that one of the mining operations on the mountain has encroached into part of our trail. Until we get something resolved or can sketch out a re-route of the lost section, consider the upper trail closed. You can still access a trailhead at the big v-rock on G1 (the second gravel road you cross) or from the turn-around for the lower trails by going out atv Trail 24.

FYI, the section directly affected is the section of trail from the first gravel road to the last big G-out.

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
Man Loo sounded like someone kicked him in the balls when i talked to him today, this sucks, hopefully something will be left tuesday cant make it out tomorrow. i know you put a lot of work into the trail MW, you know i will help you re-dig though
J

El Moco Loco

Chimp
May 14, 2008
I am not too familiar with WR, but was planning on heading up the weekend of the 4th. Does this mean that only the bottom half of the mountain is open or are there still other trails in the upper section that still open? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The trail in question is only the very upper section of the Windmill trail. All of the regular DH trails are open from the half way up and you can still access the lower portion of the 2 windmill trails from the G1 intersection of the Windmill trail.

El Moco Loco

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Cool, thanks for the info. There will be 5 of us heading up for the weekend of the 4th. Will anyone be running any shuttle services that weekend?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Much to our displeasure it was discovered today that one of the mining operations on the mountain has encroached into part of our trail. .
Coal Creek is on my s___list as of late. They are running operations adjacent to my parents land 24/7. They are putting in roads and pipelines and drilling for nat. gas. Imagine hearing dozers going and dump trucks dumping gravel + drilling and blasting all day and all night in your back yard... Not good. To top it off the roads are straight up and down the mountain and they are not putting in erosion control. It's a freaking mess. My parents can't do or say anything because CC owns the land for their driveway. If they bitch too loud, they can pull the lease on the driveway. It's practically criminal.

Sorry that's my little CC rant for the day. They've been good neighbors for the last 50 years, so I guess I can't complain to much.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I hear ya jd. I guess we as recreational users here should just consider ourselves lucky to have what we do. Coal Creek is there to make $$$ after all and we're just a minute part of that income. To have to live next to it and cope with it on a daily basis because it's your home would certainly test one's resolve.

The atver's have really had it bad the past couple of years. They've seen many of their trails turned into wide gravel roads and lost others. It looks like they may be just cutting a road through our trail. Hopefully we can eventually open it back up soon with just an additional road crossing.

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
monster road gap? sorry i didnt make it out tonight bro's, i had some bidness to take care of tonight :cupidarrow: . If it is a re-route that is needed you know i is in, i am pretty much in the clear medically, physically that is :crazy: . so if you wanna get up early, and i mean early to beat some heat, lets rock out, i can even drop by after work one day its light till 930. i will call you both tomorrow (loo webb)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I am pretty sure that CC doesn't know exactly what and where the gas/oil companies are doing. Its not in the contracts to gain approval for this and that. I have heard Chuck say that before they know it, the gas/oil companies grade and gravel an existing off road trail and say "Aren't you glad we fixed that old crappy 4wheel road?" Yeah thanks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am pretty sure that CC doesn't know exactly what and where the gas/oil companies are doing. Its not in the contracts to gain approval for this and that. I have heard Chuck say that before they know it, the gas/oil companies grade and gravel an existing off road trail and say "Aren't you glad we fixed that old crappy 4wheel road?" Yeah thanks.
Oil companies were the first to implement the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" initiative....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
"Aren't you glad we fixed that old crappy 4wheel road?" Yeah thanks.
And once there is an improved road, it makes it easier to subdivide and sell as "mountain top estates" once the oil company pulls out. That's the big fear my parents have. It's already happened near by after CC did a logging operation. Going from nearest neighbor at 1 mile away to having a subdivision full of damn yankee investors and retirees in you backyard is really shtty.