Quantcast

UPS paid me a visit

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My 2003 Intense Tracer just showed up. Wow it is gorgeous!:love: Its even black to match its big brother. Quite a score for $760 shipped. I'll have some pics tonight:cool:

On a related note, my new M1 front end should be ready on May sometime:dancing:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Acadian
sweet...is that tracer NEW? if so...that IS quite a score!!
No, it is used. But not very. There are no scratches in the paint even. The frame is in incredible condition. Came with an extra hanger and a Thompson too:)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
saw the Tazer VP at sea otter. looked pretty cool, Are you gonna race the Tazer at firestone? It would probably be good for that. The guy who beat Carlin by 0.4 seconds for 1st at Sea Otter was on an Enduro SX w/Talas.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by punkassean
saw the Tazer VP at sea otter. looked pretty cool, Are you gonna race the Tazer at firestone? It would probably be good for that. The guy who beat Carlin by 0.4 seconds for 1st at Sea Otter was on an Enduro SX w/Talas.
No, the Tracer won't be ready on time for Firestone, and an XC trail bike has no place on that course:D A Tazer would be phenomenal on the Firestone course though, a couple guys have shown up there on Enduros and were haulin ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Fedex just stopped by and brought me a pair of red Chris King hubs:p
wow, that's weird..............who's do you think they are?

Fedex never just stops by and leaves stuff at my house. I usually have to pay for it through a retailer before they give it to fedex.

hmmm.........lucky you.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
took you a while to think of that reply eh? :rolleyes: :o: ahaha ;)

PS: I need to get out of here, drink a beer and bleed those fokers...:dead:
I had a beer last night, and didn't have to rebleed my brakes, cause it only takes one time for me...........rookie;)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Well here it is, my "M 1/2". I'll build it on Sunday when I have a chance. It looks sweet

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That's a used frame?? Very rarely used at best! Sweet deal you got there Zark.

Hey lemme know how it rides with the Shiver SC up front will ya.

Thanks.

Mark

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
wow Noah...that is pretty nice!!

where is the M1? you gotta be anxious to get it...
My M1 is in the back of my truck, I'm racing it tomorrow. Old cracky has one more duty before retirement, its called a podium;)
My new front end is either in heat treating or pwdercoating, its not far from done though:devil:

The Tracer should ride nice enough, wow this thing is almost as adjustable as the M1. Wheelbase, travel, headanle/BB height.
I think it'll be 4" steep HA (for the Shiver SC which'll rake it out) and shart wheelbase/

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I've got a older tracer that I used to ride the $hit out of. I raped it for some parts to get my bullit together.
I've just started collecting the stuff to get it back on the trails again.
They are great xc bikes. And yes, your's looks killer and that was a GREAT price for it.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
so you didn't have to send the cracked frame in...
I will, but no I didn't:think: Just like I don't have an RA #, yet they are welding up a frame for me. I don't think I'm getting the usual treatment.;) Might have something to due with M1 not having a serial # and having some signifigant differences from most of 'em

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Good luck this weekend...aren't you practicing today?
Thanks Luc, I'll be leaving work at noon and going to practice. I know the course (hell I built it!) I just want to see how its holding up and how the lines are changing.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Nice looking frame there Noah, just gotta get it built up now :)

Remember that shiver takes a 8" disc up front. I was surprised when I tried to fit a 6" disc on mine, hehe it didn't fit!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Spunger
Nice looking frame there Noah, just gotta get it built up now :)

Remember that shiver takes a 8" disc up front. I was surprised when I tried to fit a 6" disc on mine, hehe it didn't fit!
I'm runnin a 7" Avid on my hardtail with Shiver SC up front - are you serious that it won't take a 6" rotor?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK Here it is, built up! Fun bike, pedals so well! I haven't gotten any real saddle time but I'll let yall know.

Spunger, notice what size rotor is up front;) Its amazing what you can do with washers:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wow - it looks great! Tell me how you have it set up in terms of wheelbase and bb height (they are adjustable on the Tracers aren't they?)

How does the front end feel with the Shiver SC on it? I mean does the bike feel balanced or a little front heavy using that fork?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It is a little front heavy, but not too bad. I don't know what the wheel base H/A or BB height are but nothing feels too out of whack there. The suspension feels pretty even front to back even though the Shiver has almost 5" and the back is only 4"

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Zark
It is a little front heavy, but not too bad. I don't know what the wheel base H/A or BB height are but nothing feels too out of whack there. The suspension feels pretty even front to back even though the Shiver has almost 5" and the back is only 4"
Thanks! Keep me posted on how it rides once you get some good trail time on it.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by math2014
Can i also join the FSR militia with my SX?
It sounds like you already have joined the militia:devil:
Enduro SX's are sick, you must be loving it!

The rear wheel is a Mavic 521 laced to an XT
The tire is a WTB mutanoraptor 2.25", its a lovely tire out here in the dry hardpack.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
It sounds like you already have joined the militia:devil:
Enduro SX's are sick, you must be loving it!

The rear wheel is a Mavic 521 laced to an XT
The tire is a WTB mutanoraptor 2.25", its a lovely tire out here in the dry hardpack.
Awesome rig. Unfortunately intense/santacruz are 50% more expensive in the UK than in the US so they are not an option for me.

I really love the SX, however i am still trying to sort out my riding position for technical stuff...

Also i need to buy a new wheelset...since i got a crappy low-end xc-set from my old rockhopper and it really brings the whole bike down.

I am thinking about either D321 or D521 with 2.2" tires.... problem is... i hate non-disc rims (d521) and i am afraid that the d321 might be too wide for 2.2 tires.

VIVA LA FSR militia!

D

Dingus McGee

Awesome rig. Unfortunately intense/santacruz are 50% more expensive in the UK than in the US so they are not an option for me.

There has GOT to be some way around that. Can't you havew someone buy you a frame Stateside and ship it to you?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I am thinking about either D321 or D521 with 2.2" tires.... problem is... i hate non-disc rims (d521) and i am afraid that the d321 might be too wide for 2.2 tires.
Don't go 321's on that bike, keep it light and nimble. A 521 is a fine rim. Why don't you like non-disc rims? Just the looks?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Don't go 321's on that bike, keep it light and nimble. A 521 is a fine rim. Why don't you like non-disc rims? Just the looks?
Yes i admit it...it is just for the looks, apart from a rigid and strong rim i would like a pimp one as well (ideally a crossmax XL looking rim)

Talking about D521...it is only 85gr lighter than the D321, will this make much difference? I also heard that the wider rim would provide more stability on the ride (and tire) . I am interested into 2.2-2.4 tires only.

Finally i was considering the Sun Singletrack rim... but most in the forum didnt comment on them highly... shame...coz the singletrack sounded like a disc version of the D521.

Enter Flamesuit. Waiting for flame (for being such a pimp).

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Dingus McGee
There has GOT to be some way around that. Can't you havew someone buy you a frame Stateside and ship it to you?
UK customs are hard to be deceived and you usually end up paying the usual UK price.

If i could get US prices in Europe (1300$ for bullit, 1600$ for V10) i honestly would have gotten 1 V10, 1 blur, 1 chameleon , 1 M3... all at the same time...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Yes i admit it...it is just for the looks, apart from a rigid and strong rim i would like a pimp one as well (ideally a crossmax XL looking rim)

Talking about D521...it is only 85gr lighter than the D321, will this make much difference? I also heard that the wider rim would provide more stability on the ride (and tire) . I am interested into 2.2-2.4 tires only.

Finally i was considering the Sun Singletrack rim... but most in the forum didnt comment on them highly... shame...coz the singletrack sounded like a disc version of the D521.
The wider rim would flatten out the tread pattern too much w/ those tires IMO.

I've heard bad stuff about singlewides, but not singletracks. A couple buddies have singletracks and like em. I'm a Mavic devotee though.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
The wider rim would flatten out the tread pattern too much w/ those tires IMO.

I've heard bad stuff about singlewides, but not singletracks. A couple buddies have singletracks and like em. I'm a Mavic devotee though.
Damn couldnt things be a bit simpler... :(

50% of the monkeys tell me D321 and 2.2 tires =NoGO
50% say Go

:S

Anyhow i ll look into the singletrack rim or the new MTX...if i can find anything online for it....coz so far...i cant.

Basically... the whole idea is to create a light DH/FR bike with the SX, so i dont want to over-downhillize it a lot. So far i got NS cranks, Z1s, XTdiscs etc etc.... ideally i would like 2.3-2.4 tires (Cinders, NBX, Contis) at around 700gr.

Here we go...more search...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So I got a ride in today. Jesusita trail, a twisty, rocky canyon descent with a brutal climb. The Tracer is a trippy bike. It climbs well in and out of the saddle. The ECC on the Shiver is KEY with this frame, its wheelie-ville uphill without it. This is also my first time with a lockout shock since '97, kinda handy on pavement!

It descends pretty nicely. Stiff rear end for a light FSR bike. Its great at hopping on the gas coming out of switchbacks. Geometry is relaxed with the shiver slacking it out. The BB height is higher than my old HT, so it felt a bit tippy at first. The travel is good and the shock does a good job of taking the edge off hits, that said its is NOT the M1:D Use your body for extra squish thats for sure. The Shiver sc is lovely, it takes hits well at speed and the flex isn't too bad.

Heres some tech stuff. 31.6 pounds built up, the frame is 6.3 and the fork is 5. I set it up in the short wheelbase setting, 4" steep head angle setting as well.

I think its gonna work out pretty well. Climbable with enough grunt to handle my 'interesting' line choices. I might be pushing it a bit running such a big fork on an "XC" frame, but the ECC makes it much better. I'll have some more feedback after the weekend when I'll get a longer ride in.

Ohh and the ride. I ran into the SBMTV crowd up at the top. So I went from riding solo to riding with 15 or so folks on the way down. Way fun dicing it up. Got into two little crashes due to mixing it up a little too much:p Too much fun!

I've been riding for 10 years come tomorrow and I have to say I love it more every time I go for a ride, what an awesome sport.:)

Noah