Quantcast

UPS store bull****

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
RANT:
So I just got back from one of the good old UPS stores to send my shiver out for a full rebuild. Those fukers wanted $37 for regular ground and $67 for 3 day :mumble: WTF. Almost $19 was going to "packing" the box was $8 and the bubble wrap and tape were were $11. They wouldn't even send it the way i had it(in a marz box with bubble wrap) and would not insure it unless they had a hand in the packing. So they could get more $$$ out of me. Fuk this I'm going to the post office.
END RANT

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Fedex should die.

UPS needs to fix their goddamned rules, they want you to have 2in of packing around everything. Bike parts and bikes are generally safe so long as there is no room to move in the package...usually I just mumble something about that and they insure it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I just go to my local Box City and ship it via UPS. No service charge or "packing" charge or rules. The UPS stores suck. My local one also tries to charge for packing and such. Find a place like a Mailboxes Etc., or something like that. Go to the UPS website and look for shipping locations. It will show you non UPS Store locations. IMO UPS is good, but the UPS Stores are a rip off.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ciaran said:
I just go to my local Box City and ship it via UPS. No service charge or "packing" charge or rules. The UPS stores suck. My local one also tries to charge for packing and such. Find a place like a Mailboxes Etc., or something like that. Go to the UPS website and look for shipping locations. It will show you non UPS Store locations. IMO UPS is good, but the UPS Stores are a rip off.
MBE=UPS Store.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
um...pack it yourself at home, and arrange a pickup from UPS. You will save 50% and it's a ton more convenient. You also don't have to deal with the pimply faced idiots at the shipping counter.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
You also don't have to deal with the pimply faced idiots at the shipping counter.
HEY! I was one of those once... :p

I normally drop off packages at the hub or do a pickup, UPS Stores are annoying. Around here, they normally don't have any sort of surcharge on shipping, but if you let them pack it, they will rape you.

From my experience, UPS itself is about 5 dollars more for shipping bigger items (IE, bikes) than Fedex, but 100% faster and 1000% more reliable. Just gotta make sure you don't push that bike box past the OS2 limit size, otherwise, it will be 150 bucks to ship a bike.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
1. Like Transcend said pack it yourself. Use wadded up newspaper for the packing.
2. UPS Store does suck.
3. If you don't have a box the size you need, make one. Combine other boxes into one.
4. Next time use USPS or Fedex. :)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
COmtbiker12 said:
1. Like Transcend said pack it yourself. Use wadded up newspaper for the packing.
2. UPS Store does suck.
3. If you don't have a box the size you need, make one. Combine other boxes into one.
4. Next time use USPS or Fedex. :)
When I shipped my frame out they would not insure it with just the newspaper packing i had used. They said it was not "safe"

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Lexx D said:
When I shipped my frame out they would not insure it with just the newspaper packing i had used. They said it was not "safe"
UPS wouldn't? That sucks :(

I only ever use Fedex or USPS(international things). Mostly fedex because my mom is a programmer there so it costs like $25 to ship a 60lbs bike box. :p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lexx D said:
I did but they would not insure it unless they did it themselves.
You have to have them come for a pickup in order for that to be acceptable. Also be sure to double up the cardboard on the 2 big sides of the box (this the driver may check).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Fedex ground, always.

Find a fedex center, and go to their counter service there. Easy and fast.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
um...pack it yourself at home, and arrange a pickup from UPS. You will save 50% and it's a ton more convenient. You also don't have to deal with the pimply faced idiots at the shipping counter.
Or do it yourself and save $ on the pick up and just drop it off at the ups store.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Brian HCM#1 said:
Or do it yourself and save $ on the pick up and just drop it off at the ups store.
And print up an airbill from your house so that you have actual rates from the company as opposed to the 150% markups at UPS Store.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
COmtbiker12 said:
I only ever use Fedex or USPS(international things). Mostly fedex because my mom is a programmer there so it costs like $25 to ship a 60lbs bike box. :p
That's how much I pay for Fedex... :p

I shipped my bike to Sea Otter for 30 bucks UPS. Wasn't insured, though...I made the mistake of going to a UPS Store, and they were being douche nozzles about the packing. It's a damned bike, if it can't move, it's not gonna get hurt unless you impale it on a forklift.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Smelly said:
I always use the post office.
Just shipped a banshee scream 2 day to Washington for $40. Ground would have only been $19
USPS?

People should be banned from shipping anything of value via USPS.

I need a custom title. Something along the lines of "Shipping God". :oink:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
blue said:
USPS?

People should be banned from shipping anything of value via USPS.

I need a custom title. Something along the lines of "Shipping God". :oink:
i've used USPS over 100 times and NEVER had a bad experience. package always gets delivered faster than promised and in good condition. used UPS a small handful of times and they lost one package, another took over 2 weeks to get from California to Massachusetts

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Pickup is free if you have an account. He can't drop it off at the UPS store. This si what he did, and they forced him to pay them to repackage it.

You can ONLY drop off at the UPS sorting center/hubs or have them pick it up if you don't want to get screwed on fees.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bodycheck131 said:
I just went there, and they wanted 120 to ship Medium size hardtail. Went over to fedex, only 65.
You just got raped out of 40 bucks.

Bike boxes are usually on the borderline between Oversize 2 and Oversize 3 in both UPS and Fedex classifications. You can normally get ANY bike into an OS2 box. Always size it up before hand and punch in the numbers. The difference between OS2 and OS3 by Fedex is usually 40-50$, UPS is generally closer to 90$. Get the box as small as possible, I cannot stress this enough.

I should write a FAQ on shipping bikes :p

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
blue said:
You just got raped out of 40 bucks.

Bike boxes are usually on the borderline between Oversize 2 and Oversize 3 in both UPS and Fedex classifications. You can normally get ANY bike into an OS2 box. Always size it up before hand and punch in the numbers. The difference between OS2 and OS3 by Fedex is usually 40-50$, UPS is generally closer to 90$. Get the box as small as possible, I cannot stress this enough.

I should write a FAQ on shipping bikes :p
Agreed on the box size. Even if it means taking off the fork and all that other stuff and trying to compact it all into there. :p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Transcend said:
Pickup is free if you have an account. He can't drop it off at the UPS store. This si what he did, and they forced him to pay them to repackage it.

You can ONLY drop off at the UPS sorting center/hubs or have them pick it up if you don't want to get screwed on fees.
I do have an account, and they charge. Maybe it depends on the account. They'll take if for free if they are making a drop off, otherwise If they are picking up they'll charge a few $'s. I always drop off my packages at a UPS store, if its all ready tagged all they do is put it with the going out stuff, they don't even check it in, and it's free. Maybe it's different for you in Canada.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
I do have an account, and they charge. Maybe it depends on the account. They'll take if for free if they are making a drop off, otherwise If they are picking up they'll charge a few $'s. I always drop off my packages at a UPS store, if its all ready tagged all they do is put it with the going out stuff, they don't even check it in, and it's free. Maybe it's different for you in Canada.
You are right, different account levels get different benifits.

For UPS start HERE. Print the label out and either find a brown truck around town or go to the service center and drop it off. I have never used a UPS store but that sounds like a bad route. UPS normally cost a little more then Fedex. Insure valuable items ALWAYS.

I ship about 500 cubic feet of boxes a day. I never use Fedex unless i must. There are really disorganized and F stuff up often. UPS makes mistakes too but not often on insured items. Also, most months UPS has 100% delivery on 1,2 and 3 day air items, and about 97% on ground.

Also, cardboard and bubble (petrolium product) and gas cost a ton. It's not going to be cheap to ship anything or to pack it. Pack with found boxes, stuff with free stuffing and prepare bills yourself.

If you can find some business that ships out by UPS daily, see if then can ship something for you. I pay about 30% less then if you were to ship one package from the internet.

Hope some of this is usefull.