Quantcast

Upstate New York Trail Recommendations

fasterisbest

Chimp
Nov 25, 2019
Hello Everybody!

I'm looking for a few trail recommendations within a few hours or so of Buffalo, New York. I would prefer something with as much climbing as possible and lots of downs. Jump lines or techy lines. Doesn't matter. Just want to be riding up OR down. Fast and flowy. Not keen on flat or XC riding.

Cheers! Thanks for any help!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Very good riding at McCarty hill. Park at the Eagle trailhead off Rt 219 next to the school.
Jakes Rocks at Kinzua lake are also very very good.
That's what I did. It kind of sucked having a big climb about 100 feet from the car, but there is no better way to finish a ride than with a fast and long descent like that.

The little descent at the end (start-end as described on trailforks) of Black Trail was awesome too. If it wasn't pissing rain and cold as hell when I went, 10/10 would have gone back and done it again.

Free camping around there too...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's what I did. It kind of sucked having a big climb about 100 feet from the car, but there is no better way to finish a ride than with a fast and long descent like that.
Hey @Nick how "big" is the climb you have to do to start a ride? :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
oh c'mon. i would 1000x rather go to le pisgah and do that kind of a climb to get to a rowdy descent (and repeat) than put up with the constant quick ups and downs of local riding. the latter is much more taxing. so put your dicks away and give the guy some good recommendations if you've got em.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
oh c'mon. i would 1000x rather go to le pisgah and do that kind of a climb to get to a rowdy descent (and repeat) than put up with the constant quick ups and downs of local riding. the latter is much more taxing. so put your dicks away and give the guy some good recommendations if you've got em.
I WAS JUST ANSWERING A QUESTION!!

ahem, I have no upstate NY recommendations. my apologies.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

The little descent at the end (start-end as described on trailforks) of Black Trail was awesome too. If it wasn't pissing rain and cold as hell when I went, 10/10 would have gone back and done it again.

Free camping around there too...
The alternative is another 25-30 car ride to park at the radio tower or one of the loops. I always opt for less car time getting to the trail. Of course if you are camping or plan a nice mid ride BBQ back at the trail head that is another story.

fasterisbest

Chimp
Nov 25, 2019
Where is "Le Pisgah"?

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I personally thought the riding in Ellicottville sucked. Classic 90s xc with poor maintenance, outdated maps, no cell reception. Lots of time spent pulling sticks out of spokes and splashing through mud puddles.

Ursus/ Elijah/ Bald Eagle at Jake’s Rocks in Warren, PA are all super fun. As is East Rim Trail (gravity optimized with berms and jumps) just south of Cleveland.