Quantcast

Urban... I have finally found my calling!

Aug 2, 2004
So I've been riding for a REALLY long time, and after many bikes and much terrain, I've decided Urban/Street is best for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of my current frame, but 1st I have to decide what I'm going to get in it's place. The selection is pretty obvios for what I'm looking for... 21.5 or shorter top tube, 16 or shorter CS, 69+ HA.

I've narowed it down to a few, but I'm conflicted because all except one run 24" rears, and thats new territory for me. Here are my choices, in order of preference... please add if you think I should check something out.

Black Market MOB or Riot (when it comes out) 26/26
Tonic Fab Fall Guy
Doberman Pinscher
BMW Park Bike

All comments are welcome... and if you or anyone you know is selling any of these (24 frames WITH rear wheel, maybe) please PM me.

I have a Soul Cycles Titan with a rear HALO SOS 26" wheel.
PEACE.
-I

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Revell sells one thats got what you're looking for as well and it can be had for 300-400 new. I'm a big fan of the 24" bikes though, I was a bit wary of them at first because I didn't know how it would ride, but if you're just doing urban then 24s are awesome. I'd suggest at least riding one before you decide.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
well the fall guy is designed around a 14mm axle BMX hub (110 spacing instead of 135 i believe)

so there arent really BMX disc hubs, so no disc mounts...

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Nemesis street fighter maybe?

Brad - Head Angle = 72 degrees
skate-park specific 69 degrees available upon request
Seat angle= 70 degrees
Top tube c-c 21.5
seat tube c-c 13" c-t 14.5
15.75 rear end and just under 1000-mm wheel base

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
I have been riding my .243sl around Chicago non stop since I finished building it and absolutly love it. The front end comes up stupid easy and is super stable. So far no complaints. If you are looking for 24, my buddy just built up a DMR that I have riden a few times and enjoy quite a bit.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
what's with the whole slack headangle for park thing? is this to acount for mtbers being used to sitting behing the front tyre on downslopes or something? Cuz my bike has a HA around 72, and i find that's the slackest that makes any sense in a skatepark, and of course you won't find any bmx bikes with a 69 deg HA, not even 72.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
CreeP said:
what's with the whole slack headangle for park thing? is this to acount for mtbers being used to sitting behing the front tyre on downslopes or something? Cuz my bike has a HA around 72, and i find that's the slackest that makes any sense in a skatepark, and of course you won't find any bmx bikes with a 69 deg HA, not even 72.

I'm not a fan of it, but the idea is to keep a short enough top tube to fit in the transitions of parks, and trails, and kick the front wheel out enough to give foot/tire clearence for x-up's, bar spins, etc. etc.

Aug 2, 2004
CreeP said:
What kind of bike do you have? I'm open to other options as well.
-I

Aug 2, 2004
My only issue with the Nemesis Project frames is that the stand-over heights seem to be larger than the other optins... i like how the other frames are very... compact. I'm not a big dude... 5-8, buck 70, so the smaller the better, you know.

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
the nemesis project frames are sick. i have one and it is amazing. the standover is actually pretty small, if your worried about not getting cancans over or something, thats not a problem. im 5'8 as well, and it fits perfectly. i would definately consider the nemesis frame

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BMW park bikes break a lot it seems like. not trying to start a debate or anything, i just happen to hear/see a fair amount of broken ones.

Aug 2, 2004
Love your revell... sweet setup. I think I've decided to stay away from 24" though. I cant afford to build ANOTHER rear wheel... if i go 24 rear, im gonna want to get a front, too. Can't spend all that chedder... So... I’m zoning in on 3 frames. The Black Market Mob, Riot, or the Doberman Pinscher. They all fit 26in rear wheels, so it would be an easy swap.

http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/mob.html $599

http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/riot.html +-$350

http://www.dobermannbikes.com/en/framespinscher.html (better pic at) http://www.dobermannbikes.com/hires/hr20060215crewvegas.html guy is sitting on it. +-$450

Which would you do?

Aug 2, 2004
biggins said:
BMW park bikes break a lot it seems like. not trying to start a debate or anything, i just happen to hear/see a fair amount of broken ones.
No SH!T? Would never have guessed that. 24" anyway... oh well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
IvanTheTerrible said:
No SH!T? Would never have guessed that. 24" anyway... oh well.
i am just saying thats what my experience has been after riding predominantly street for 4-5 years.

that riot looks real dope. that would be my choice for many reasons. the primary being there is no way in hell i would spend 600 bucks on a frame for urban. it is gonna get smashed so quick. I went through frames like it was my job.fall wrong once, your frame comes down on a curb or rail, gets a huge dent or gets bent and it s new frame time.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The MOB and The Riot are both really nice. Only thing would be a steeper head angle for me. Mind you if you're playing street you can runa super low travel fork which will steepen it up a little.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I would also recomend the Union Street. I know a guy that rides one and he said he really likes it. They are strictly street/park/dirt with the break set up, but if thats all your riding you don't need disc breaks.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yup, if you are looking for a great street bike w/ bigger than 20" wheels, then check out Union Street. 14mm axles, 110 rear end, 24" on the Molly Maguire - 26"ers coming soon it sounds like, 990's, tight and quick and nice geometry.

Plus the guys that run USB are all real good people and are a blast to ride with.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
biggins said:
thats weird, i've yet to see one

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Dirty said:
Nemesis street fighter maybe?

Brad - Head Angle = 72 degrees
skate-park specific 69 degrees available upon request
Seat angle= 70 degrees
Top tube c-c 21.5
seat tube c-c 13" c-t 14.5
15.75 rear end and just under 1000-mm wheel base

The Skatepark specific 69 was a miss print form a very old pink bike artical ... all our frames have 72 HA now

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i'm looking for exactly the same bike as you are, and the best bet in my mind was the .243 sl with dual 24s. however, i wound up with a bmx on order, mostly because it's less then half the price, cost squat to mantain, you can beat it senceless, and it's so flickable. i'll tell you how it works out.

ScarredShins

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
Hell yeah on going for the bmx. I rode bmx for years but kinda laid off for a while. I decided to try switching to bmx influenced MTBs, but after trying a Specialized P.2 and a Kona Scrap I've decided to just get a 24" BMX designed for street/jumping. BMX's are just so much more durable for street. I can understand 24 and 26 inch hardtails for dirt jumping, but my opinion is that street and park are still BMX territory.