Quantcast

urban part 3: rigid or front susp.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
Ok, the good news is my wife let me order a bike. (she got to go skydiving today) So I'm on a tight budget, and want somthing tuff as nails, and simple. So with bmx in mind, I've ordered a small redline monocog. The bike comes full rigid. I've already got a pile of stuff for it. However I'm debating the fork. I see a lot of guys, especailly bmx swear full rigid. I run off road, but urban is a new game for me. I ran rigid on my single speed all last year, and off road it was tuff, but fun. So for urban will I need the travel for control, or will it just be extra weight? Let me know what you think. Also if you run a single speed urban, what gear ratio, I run a 32x16 for off road, accelerates good, but tops out rather quickly.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
36 X 16 is the way to go. 38 X 16 is good if your planning on hitting really big gaps/jumps. As for suspension, yes, if you plan on bigger lines like stair gaps and such, but an easy no if it's all about tech lines and djing.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
I think that most of my learning is gunna be acomplished riding back and forth to the sk8 park, and then there. So I think I might start rigid. The bike comes stock with 38x18, so I think I deffinatley am going smaller up front, to accomodate the bash guard. I talked to the local bmx super star, and he says to start rigid, especially in the park. So I guess thats the route to go. I've ordered the hook worm tires (see part II), and am changhing to primo tenderizer pedals, I've also got an old downhill stem, like a 50, and beefy riser bar, odi lock on grips. Any more suggestions would be really appreciated.