Quantcast

Urban Riders in Seattle

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I just had a friend move up there, and he doesnt have internet right now. Hes looking for some guys who do urban riding in downtown seattle. If there are any sites of urban rider groups please post em

thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tell him to go to U of W campus or Seattle Center and explore. Gas Works park is also pretty good but more trials stuff and less stair gap stuff.
You might get some flack from the cops at Seattle Center but the other places are cool as long as you aren't doing stupid stuff like grinding on benches.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Seattle rocks for urban. Haven't hit it in a while (its usually a winter thing), but there's a ton of good stuff down in the CD. They've done the "urban renewal" thing and build a bunch of parks along the hillsides in the rougher neighborhoods. Garfield Highschool also has a sweet wallride, and you can stop by Ezell's for the best fried chicken in town when you're done. Cops won't bug you down here either, they have real crime to worry about. I hear the UW might even be a bit better, but you'll get hassled by the man.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Juice, you'll have to show me the goods this winter. I haven't been able to find anything good since I moved down south. There is so much potential for good trail building by the freeway in beacon hill. I always get sketched out by the bums though.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Funny you mention Beacon Hill.... I know some folks that Juice knows too that scoped that area out pretty good a while back. Apparently there is lots of good potential up and around the power lines down there. It's a wonder why no one has built in there yet.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Borneo said:
Funny you mention Beacon Hill.... I know some folks that Juice knows too that scoped that area out pretty good a while back. Apparently there is lots of good potential up and around the power lines down there. It's a wonder why no one has built in there yet.
I scope the power lines everytime I walk my dog. Huge potential for jumps. Perfect slope and TONS of room. The problem is it is all grass, so anything you built would be very visible.
The wooded area around the freeway could easily be the next urban trail center just like seatac. There are probably close to 100 people living in tents in the woods though. I'm not gonna try and chase them out.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Give me a shout and we'll hook up once the trails get sloppy. A couple of us live down here (mt. baker, CD & seward park), and we get out in da hood when we don't have time to hit the hills for snowboarding or full-on night riding. The best stuff is around the I-90 lid and up to Garfield. We're not hard-core stair gapping, just hitting some retaining walls, wall rides and smallish drops for mere mortals. We probably look like a bunch of 12 year olds ripping around the neighborhood on our bikes... but I'm not willing to admit that we're over 30.

A couple of us at the BBTC have scoped out "the jungle" and some of the powerlines on beacon hill. Definitely potential for a bike park there in the future, and we're planting the seed with the politicos. Once we get Colonnade built we'll ramp it up and see what we can do. The jungle is clay soil, so it would have to be constructed with imported rock and dirt. That stuff is nasty, slick and sticky when it gets wet. You couldn't pay me to go there at night right now, but if we built a nice park it would bring in a lot of bikers and the crack heads would go away.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Night time urban sessions at the UW are cool and you're much less likely to talk to "the man" just go out there and explore you'll find all sorts of things to play on, over, on the side of...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
bibs said:
I have the urge to build a crabb apple hits kinda area some where around here...I need trails close to my house!
That would be sick. Just rent a bobcat from home depot and start digging. I wonder how long it would take for the cops to show up.
The powerline cut crosses about 4 blocks from my house. It really does have enough room for a crabapple hits.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Name the day and I'll help build on the powerlines. I've often thought the powerline area would be perfect. Or maybe a little to the side in the trees. There is already a West Seattle DH. I can PM directions if anyone needs it but it's still soft and needs people to ride it more. These are the words of the builders so don't worry much about keeping secrets(only from "the man").

Bullitrider said:
Name the day and I'll help build on the powerlines. I've often thought the powerline area would be perfect. Or maybe a little to the side in the trees. There is already a West Seattle DH. I can PM directions if anyone needs it but it's still soft and needs people to ride it more. These are the words of the builders so don't worry much about keeping secrets(only from "the man").

the west seatle DH is in ned of alot of work, its short , lots of clay and REALLY soft! But could be very fun, I just dont like Stu anymore at Alki bike and Board(he talks to much trash about me) :( but it could be fun! I need to be air born more, last year I dj'd alot with the Bros..this year not so much :(

Jun 18, 2004
I would show up with a shovel, in work clothes, driving my beater pickup, and what ever else is needed to help you build a trail... I'm recovering from a dislocated shoulder and should be riding again in about 2-3 weeks... but I can dig/shape/pick right now... it would give me something to do since I'm out of work... just PM me when and exactly where...