Quantcast

Urgent Brake Recommendation

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
So my Elixirs failed and I'm turning to Shimano. I want some XTR Trails pretty bad, but I'm also feeling this whole new idea of the Saint caliper with an XTR Trail lever. What do you guys suggest? I haven't had a chance to ride either brake but I know the Saints will have a ton of power, I just don't know how much more they'll have over the new XTRs. More brake power=more confidence, I just want to figure out the best setup. The brakes will be going on a Nomad Carbon with a gravity-oriented setup.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
XTR Trail for that bike...

I'm 210, riding a 5 inch trail bike with a super-d style build and they stop me BEYOND well. I think Saints would be a little extreme for a carbon Nomad, but that's just me. I've been a Shimano man for a long time, and these are easily the best brake they've had in years.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Thanks, I was thinking the Saints might be a bit over the top too but I get a little confused by the claimed "XC/Trail" classification. I'm not a heavy guy but I ride lots of steeps and want to make sure that I can trust the brakes if I'm dropping that kind of coin.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Formula The ONEs are super awesome brakes. I have them on my trail bike and weigh 225. Just as powerful as the Saint on my DH bike but half the weight. Even the FR version works really well, just slightly heavier.

Downside is they use DOT fluid which is more tricky to work with.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I've heard mixed reviews on the ONEs. Most reviews are very positive, but some say the brakes are just average. The main situation here is that I have a Shimano hookup, and given Shimano's reliability and low-maintenance mineral oil setup, I'm thinking they're the right option this time around. I've worked with DOT fluid on the Avid brakes I've had over the last 4-5 years and while I personally don't find it that much of a pain to work with, I don't like how it absorbs moisture and therefore needs to be changed fairly often.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I run the XTR trail levers on saint calipers on my downhill bike (i only weigh 80kg), they are awesome! I have run a few saint/lever combinations and these are by far the best.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've heard mixed reviews on the ONEs. Most reviews are very positive, but some say the brakes are just average. The main situation here is that I have a Shimano hookup, and given Shimano's reliability and low-maintenance mineral oil setup, I'm thinking they're the right option this time around. I've worked with DOT fluid on the Avid brakes I've had over the last 4-5 years and while I personally don't find it that much of a pain to work with, I don't like how it absorbs moisture and therefore needs to be changed fairly often.
Dot 5.1 from motul or rbf 660 has a high boiling point even when moist. Higher than dry mineral oil. XTR trails are a bit untested for now. They seem tempting but risky. Formula R1s and Ones the newer gens seem to work well though my oros gave me some trouble.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Maybe in your little corner of the world... :think:
How long have they been on the market? Anything under a full season is untested. First few months of product use is pure hype, not review. Not to mention it takes time for stuff to break. I remember all the this boxxerz iz amazing after oil and lube threads and now half of rm hates them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
How long have they been on the market? Anything under a full season is untested. First few months of product use is pure hype, not review. Not to mention it takes time for stuff to break. I remember all the this boxxerz iz amazing after oil and lube threads and now half of rm hates them.
Ah! So now you're being more specific. See, that's good. Not long term tested. ;)

I may not have a ton of time on mine, but I went with them based on some friends who've been running them much longer in some pretty wet, nasty conditions. OP said he was switching to Shimano, so I gave my suggestion.

To the OP: If you want some time tested reliable brakes, find some Shimano 765 XT brakes as these have stood the test of time. I have two sets of them that I haven't had to bleed in over 2 seasons! They're amazing, unlike these crappy, untested XTR trails I'm running... :rant:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Where in a bit untested have you found crappy? Chill out. I dont criticise them only claim its more risky than something that has been on the market for some time. Id also be very tempted to get the xtr trails and I like new shiny stuff. Its just I tend to be a bit conservative with brakes after my formula trouble.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I run the XTR trail levers on saint calipers on my downhill bike (i only weigh 80kg), they are awesome! I have run a few saint/lever combinations and these are by far the best.
In your experience would the Saint calipers be a little overkill for a 6" bike? I ride hard in pretty nasty terrain but if the XTR calipers are enough then I'll stick to those...its just that I don't want to get the new brakes, find out that I want more power, and then have to wait to be able to drop a bunch more money that I don't really have on Saint calipers.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I am a fan of the power, after going from these to my Xt brakes on my ex8, I would love to have matching brakesets between the two, as I do some gnarlier riding on my ex, it's more cash I don't have. I haven't ridden the XTR calipers though, just the XTR Saint combo. I'd say just go for the saints, they'll have more power and then as you said you won't be left not knowing if you wanted more power. just my 2 cents.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I had Juicy 7s before that were fairly reliable and easy to bleed, but these Elixirs were a nightmare from the start. The factory bleed was awful, so I immediately bled the brakes and they felt great for about a week. Shortly thereafter, things got spongy and I bled the brakes again. Again, a week or 2 later and they're spongy, this time with the right brake lever going all the way to the bar ever with the pad contact all the way out. The next bleed, and most recent one, was actually a series of 5 different bleed attempts trying to get back some power and firmness in the brakes. I thought that after the 2nd attempt they were good, but I took them on a ride and as soon as things got steep I literally couldn't stop. There was no power, levers kept pulsing slowly in and out as I held them down. Bled 3 more times, still the same.

On a side note, I worked in a shop for 3 years and know how to bleed Elixirs. While they are always a bit of a pain to bleed because of the reservoir's tendency to trap bubbles, this is the first set that I haven't been able to bleed successfully. I don't know if it was just the set I received, but my dad has had some Elixirs that haven't been a problem, and I've bled them for him a few times. I just don't really trust the brakes anymore, they were too high maintenance for my tastes and I don't have confidence in them anymore. This isn't the first set of Avid's I've ridden that have felt fine in the parking lot but end up dangerous on trail, I want something I can trust.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
yes, I've had bleed problems on mines too, and now my rear Elixir brake is suffering from a stuck pivot which was the main reason I got rid of my Juicy's so maybe it's time for me to look for some new brakes...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
new development. so it turns out that Shimano is out of XTRs until mid-June, which is far too long for me to wait given that the weather just started getting nice for me. i can get Formula ONE's right now for about what the Shimano's would have cost me...do i do it? while the prices are pretty comparable, the Formula's are a bit more expensive. i'm not worried about replacement parts, but i am worried about reliability, ease of service, and general brake quality. if i'm paying for the best, i want to be getting the best. comparisons? comments?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
new development. so it turns out that Shimano is out of XTRs until mid-June, which is far too long for me to wait given that the weather just started getting nice for me. i can get Formula ONE's right now for about what the Shimano's would have cost me...do i do it? while the prices are pretty comparable, the Formula's are a bit more expensive. i'm not worried about replacement parts, but i am worried about reliability, ease of service, and general brake quality. if i'm paying for the best, i want to be getting the best. comparisons? comments?
I've owned several Avids and have friends with Shimano and Formula. That said I'm a Hayes guy. But instead of recommending you something different I'd say go with Saints after I read all the comments here. They have tons of power and are only a little heavier right?

If they're too heavy just drill some speed holes elsewhere on your bike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I've owned several Avids and have friends with Shimano and Formula. That said I'm a Hayes guy. But instead of recommending you something different I'd say go with Saints after I read all the comments here. They have tons of power and are only a little heavier right?

If they're too heavy just drill some speed holes elsewhere on your bike.
Are you on primes?