Quantcast

US Armed Forces Cycling team

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the Armed Forces Cycling team. I'm shipping to SD in May, but this will be my first summer off the bike in 7 years of racing. I currently race as a Cat 2/Expert and am leaving my team for the Marine Corps, but wish to continue racing as much as my schedule will allow (I'm enlisting in the reserves with a split option to finish college). A coach working with the team I just left was a leader of the team (Steve Mlujiak, US Coast Guard) but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. If anyone here has contact information or details about the team, could you please let me know. Thanks
Jon

J

JRB

No contacts, but you may want something that rides well in the sand. ;)

Kiltim

Chimp
Nov 6, 2004
Okinawa, Japan
There is a USMC Cycling Team. Must be atleast Cat1. There is a MARADMIN that comes out once a year regarding the requirements for the team. You gotta send in a resume with previous races/placings, times etc. Once you get to your first duty station you should check it out. They usually post the MARADMIN seeking about 10 people to do a specific race or a couple of races each year. Here an example of one posted last year:

Date signed: 03/18/2004 MARADMIN Number: 128/04
R 181200Z MAR 04
FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(uc)
TO AL MARADMIN(uc)
MARADMIN
BT
UNCLASSIFIED
MARADMIN 128/04
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRS//
SUBJ/SEMPER FIT SEEKS RESUMES FOR ARMED FORCES CYCLING TEAM//
POC/JIM MEDLEY/NF4/MRS/-/TEL:703 784 9542
/EMAIL:MEDLEYJE@MANPOWER.USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. AN ARMED FORCES CYCLING TEAM OF 10 CYCLISTS WILL
BE FORMED TO COMPETE IN THE U.S. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 16-19 JUNE
2004 IN REDLANDS, CA AND THE CISM CHAMPIONSHIP WILL BE HELD IN
TRENCIN, SLOVAKIA 1-4 JULY 2004.
2. MARINES INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT RESUMES IAW FIGURE 3-4 OF MCO
P1700.29 NLT 1 APRIL 2004. RESUMES MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
A. MUST BE AT LEAST CATEGORY 1
B. RACE RESULTS FROM 2003-2004 SEASON. INCLUDE CATEGORY,
DISTANCE, TYPE OF RACE, NUMBER IN FIELD AND PLACING.

3. MCO P1700.29 CAN BE FOUND AT
WWW.USMC-MCCS.ORG/SEMPERFIT/SPORTS/SPORTS_MAIN.ASP. RESUMES MUST
CONTAIN COMMAND ENDORSEMENT STATING THE MARINE WILL BE MADE
AVAILABLE TO ATTEND ALL EVENTS IF SELECTED. MARINES STATIONED AT A
COMMAND WITH A LOCAL MCCS SEMPER FIT OFFICE MUST ALSO SEND THEIR
RESUMES THROUGH THE SEMPER FIT ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.//

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
well I will be reporting to BRT for training from May-Aug this year, so it looks like that's a no-go for this season. That's exactly the information that I was looking for though, thanks. Is there a website or a mailing list for updates? I tried but couldn't find anything current and never heard a peep about a Marine Corps team. Thanks guys
Cross

Kiltim

Chimp
Nov 6, 2004
Okinawa, Japan
You can go to the website thats listed in the MARADMIN. Once there, click on the MARADMIN link in the top left corner of the page. You can check back there for any MARADMINS that might come out regarding the team. As for mailing lists...MARADMINS are sent to all units when they are released, but it goes out to bases and sections and you need to be in the military to get those, sorry.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
jon cross said:
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with the Armed Forces Cycling team. I'm shipping to SD in May, but this will be my first summer off the bike in 7 years of racing. I currently race as a Cat 2/Expert and am leaving my team for the Marine Corps, but wish to continue racing as much as my schedule will allow (I'm enlisting in the reserves with a split option to finish college). A coach working with the team I just left was a leader of the team (Steve Mlujiak, US Coast Guard) but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. If anyone here has contact information or details about the team, could you please let me know. Thanks
Jon
Ooh-Ra

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Wait, you're going to SD for boot camp but you're from North Cacalaki?
What about Paradise Island? I spent the summer of '86 there. It was a masochist's dream come true. Tell me you ain't going to be one of them Hollywood Marines? :nuts:
All kidding aside good luck and Semper Fi.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Thanks Peete- I was going to college in NC but transferred to a school in MI. I can't wait to bring on the hurtin', haha. The only thing I worry about is being hit by the crucible in early August in soCal. It's gonna tickle!

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
jon cross said:
Thanks Peete- I was going to college in NC but transferred to a school in MI. I can't wait to bring on the hurtin', haha. The only thing I worry about is being hit by the crucible in early August in soCal. It's gonna tickle!
Don't worry about anything. Boot camp isn't hard at all. It isn't going to be nearly as hard as you thought it was going to be. I actually had a lot of fun. And the weather isn't going to be an issue. You'll be black flagged for so much of the time that you won't be able to do anything outside except roust step to chow.