Quantcast

US Bicycling Hall of Fame induction 2012

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
The USBHoF is just up the road in Davis, California, so on Saturday Joe Breeze and I trekked up there. He had a couple of bikes to put on display in the Hall of Fame museum, including one of his first ten "Breezers" built in 1978.

We attended Peter Rich's bicycle history symposium first, and heard from a bunch of old racers what it was like in the '50s and '60s when there were few racers and fewer races. The panel included Peter Rich, Ted Ernst, Owen Mulholland, John Howard and Tom Ritchey, who was by far the youngest.

Afterward we retired to the banquet hall for dinner and the induction. Dinner was $125 for people who paid. We were comped. Because some of the tables were reserved for sponsors, we were told to choose an "open" table. We were first in the hall, and picked some great seats. While we were enjoying our first glass of wine, someone said, "Hey Charlie, is it okay if I sit with you guys?"

It was JOHN FREAKING HOWARD, and yer durn tootin' it was okay. So for a couple of hours I got to hang with one of the heroes of my early cycling career, perennial national champion, first Ironman winner, and holder of the land speed record on a bike (155 mph).

This year's inductees included a couple of longtime friends, and two riders I had never heard of. Mountain bikers Tom Ritchey and Susan DeMattei are now enshrined, as well as old skool racer Rob Parsons and track rider Erin Hartwell.

inductees.jpg

Afterwards Joe and I posed with Tom. Gary Fisher was not there to complete the boxed set.

ck_tr_jb.jpg

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
...edit... I think it's a neat story. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to some old school MTRers and I will chat it up every chance I get. A guy here in town I used to ride with a lot as a downhill national champ from binthed Crested Butte. Neat stories. His son is now on the u23 trek livestrong development team. Strong good kid.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Very cool. I love hearing your updates. Btw, I checked out the MTB exhibit at SFO, that had some excellent early bikes in it... I remember seeing a nice blue MountainBike there.

Last edited: