Quantcast

US Hockey- What a joke!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
A team of overpaid NHL pro's tied by Latvia? Pretty disappointing for a team trying to live up to the much hyped 'miracle on ice' team from '80. And what's up with line changes every two minutes? What a bunch of out of shape pansies.
:stosh:

Jordan Leopold salvaged an American tie against Latvia in an Olympic hockey game that had the feel of a loss.

Leopold scored 2:01 into the third period as the United States - using a full roster of National Hockey League players - escaped with a 3-3 tie against little Latvia on Wednesday night.
When the final buzzer sounded, the Latvian players raised their arms in triumph while the Americans slowly gathered around goalie John Grahame.

Latvia, which has only two current NHLers, rallied from an early two-goal deficit and showed that U.S. coach Peter Laviolette had every reason to be worried about this opening matchup in Olympic Group B.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5335142

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No expectation, no disappointment from USA hockey. Good job by Latvia.

The women's games aren't all that bad to watch. It's an actual team-oriented game instead a collection of individuals like the men.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dan-o said:
A team of overpaid NHL pro's tied by Latvia? Pretty disappointing for a team trying to live up to the much hyped 'miracle on ice' team from '80. And what's up with line changes every two minutes? What a bunch of out of shape pansies.
:stosh:

No comment on the rest but fast changes are part of hockey, 45 second shifts are common

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Kind of reminds me of the summer games with the basketball "dream team". Those guys were just a bunch of attention starved kids all wanting a spotlight.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
just because you can't skate and handle a puck doesn't mean you need to hate us who can.
Who said anything about hate?
People who cant make the football team have to do something. I dont hate them for it, I just dont respect them.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
rigidhack said:
I thought she was only 16?

Maybe that's their backup goalie. Anyway, one of their goalies is 16.
she started playing for the Swiss National team at 15 and has been their starter ever since. I think she lives in the US and attends or attended college at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the US team using pros is a bad idea. Sort of like the basketball team proved it was a bad idea.

They would be better off using a "team" from either a minor league or pull a team from the NCAA. At least it would be a team that knew how to play together. Most of these countries national teams play together for years, so they know the concept of team.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MtnbikeMike said:
You're right, it locos. :D
Boy, that joke never gets old does it. :dead:

aggrorider said:
Kind of reminds me of the summer games with the basketball "dream team". Those guys were just a bunch of attention starved kids all wanting a spotlight.
I think this is the problem. You've got a team made up of individuals used to getting the spotlight and being the "star." They're each used to making the most of a puck possession, but are doing so at the expense of playing the game as a team.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The original NBA Dream Team was made up of some of the finest players in NBA history (Bird, Jordan, Pippen, Ewing, Barkley etc). Didn't they win every game by like 80? No Dream Team since has matched that talent level, and fewer and fewer of the top NBA stars are committing to the team. Throw on the fact that the gap between USA basketball and the rest of the world is shrinking considerably, and it was only a matter of time until the NBA team started to lose games. Eh, the NBA sucks anyway.

In comparison, USA hockey does not boast the best players in the world like the NBA does. The US will always take a back seat to Canada in hockey, except for the occasional upset.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
The original NBA Dream Team was made up of some of the finest players in NBA history (Bird, Jordan, Pippen, Ewing, Barkley etc). Didn't they win every game by like 80? No Dream Team since has matched that talent level, and fewer and fewer of the top NBA stars are committing to the team. Throw on the fact that the gap between USA basketball and the rest of the world is shrinking considerably, and it was only a matter of time until the NBA team started to lose games. Eh, the NBA sucks anyway.

In comparison, USA hockey does not boast the best players in the world like the NBA does. The US will always take a back seat to Canada in hockey, except for the occasional upset.
I agree with most of that. But I still think if you took a solid TEAM, they would do far better than a bunch of stars who have only played a few games together. Don't get me started on the top US players not anting to play in the games, that sh!t just makes me sick.

The miricle team had time to develop as a team together, they played together, and that's how they won (a little luck didn't hurt either).

I would be willing to bet if you took the San Diego 'Gulls (WHL) or the Portland Winterhawks (IHL) and played them as a team, they would have crushed Latvia.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jimmydean said:
I agree with most of that. But I still think if you took a solid TEAM, they would do far better than a bunch of stars who have only played a few games together. Don't get me started on the top US players not anting to play in the games, that sh!t just makes me sick.

The miricle team had time to develop as a team together, they played together, and that's how they won (a little luck didn't hurt either).

I would be willing to bet if you took the San Diego 'Gulls (WHL) or the Portland Winterhawks (IHL) and played them as a team, they would have crushed Latvia.
I totally agree. Getting back to basketball, no team in the world would stand a chance against the Detroit Pistons. However, an NBA All Star team could be defeated.

That'll never happen though, especially in hockey since most teams at all professional levels have such an international makeup. I'd like to see them go back to sending amateurs. It's more of a team game and the players care a hell of a lot more about winning.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
jimmydean said:
I think the US team using pros is a bad idea. Sort of like the basketball team proved it was a bad idea.

They would be better off using a "team" from either a minor league or pull a team from the NCAA. At least it would be a team that knew how to play together. Most of these countries national teams play together for years, so they know the concept of team.
A lot of the other countries are using NHL pros but for some reason it seems like the guys from the US are absolutely passionless about their play as a team. I guess maybe the guys from other countries take playing for national pride a little more seriously. Personally I think NHL play in general is passionless over the last several years, so I guess it makes sense that it would carry over to the Olympics.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lex said:
A lot of the other countries are using NHL pros but for some reason it seems like the guys from the US are absolutely passionless about their play as a team. I guess maybe the guys from other countries take playing for national pride a little more seriously. Personally I think NHL play in general is passionless over the last several years, so I guess it makes sense that it would carry over to the Olympics.
You are correct, sir.

I like to go to local games, the Winterhawks are a blast to watch for that very reason. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would not play with passion when you play for your country.

It's the same reason I would rather watch NCAA games, it's a matter of passion.

IRB, did you see the interview with Ben Wallace in Men's Health Mag? He said that very thing, we should have sent the Pistons to the games! Talk about a beating. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
someone once told me that the olympics were meant to showcase amateur talent, and i swear i read that somewhere else. was that ever the case?

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
the Inbred said:
someone once told me that the olympics were meant to showcase amateur talent, and i swear i read that somewhere else. was that ever the case?
Back before NHL players were allowed in the Olympics, a lot of countries were sending teams that were made up of guys who would eventually play in the NHL. The whole reason the "miracle on ice" team was so great was because they beat a team made up of Russians who would eventually be renamed the Detroit Red Wings.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Aside from shining moments here and there US hockey has always been a joke. That's why there are 3 times as many Canadian NHL players as there are US, despite having 1 tenth the population. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ridemonkey said:
Aside from shining moments here and there US hockey has always been a joke. That's why there are 3 times as many Canadian NHL players as there are US, despite having 1 tenth the population. :)

I'm looking forward to the USA vs Canada showdown in Women's Hockey. Should be one helluva game!

GO USA Women! :thumb:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sigh...women's hockey...yeah..ok... haahaha

Just kidding, Agosta was on my cousin's team for a few years so I guess I should be a little supportive. :thumb: