Quantcast

US Marathon Nationals-Monique Mata’s makes it back to back titles

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Monique Mata has capped off a fairy tale season by taking her second consecutive Pro women’s US Marathon national championship title this weekend in Bend, Oregon. Mata put eleven minutes into her nearest rival, Giant rider Kelli Emmett of Colorado Springs and came home twenty minutes ahead of third place rider Sarah Anderson.</p><p>
</p><p>
Mata has now laid claim to the 2012 Pro XCT, 2012 Pro UET, and 2012 Whiskey 50 and 2012 US Marathon National title all in the same year, a feat that no other women racer can lay claim to.</p><p>
</p><p>
Post-race Monique had this to say,” It’s been a fantastic year. Even with my third at Leadville, I’m still really happy to finish the year out by adding another US Marathon title to my resume. My bike and team were flawless today and that made all the difference to me having a smooth race. Thank you to all the sponsors who have made this year possible,” continued Mata.</p><p>
</p><p>
Up next for Team Sho-Air and Monique is the 25th anniversary edition of the La Ruta Conquistadors race on November 1st. This will be the first time Mata has attempted the mountain bike stage race and she looks forward to having another good result.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I feel prepared as I ever have and knowing I’m on the best equipment available makes it easy to focus on the task at hand. Hopefully it goes well, but really I’m just looking to have some fun and experience this awesome event.”</p><p>
</p><p>
In the men’s Pro marathon race, new addition Anthony Canevari rode to a top 15 place finish in his first mountain bike race ever.</p><p>
</p><p>
“That was the most suffering I have ever done,” explained Canevari post -race. “It was harder than any road race I have ever done, but it was really fun at the same time. I look forward to honing my mountain skills and fitness in the off season and giving it 110% in 2013.”</p>

More...