Quantcast

US MFG at its best!

Sep 14, 2004
Ohio
Man, that was a cool vid. I remember Chris Moeller selling me S&M forks out of his truck at the NBL grands back in '87 or '88.
That's too funny. I still have an old school S&M bmx scoot.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
How much is C'dale on the block for? Not saying I have the money, but just curious. And what what would it take to make Cannondale profitable?

I have to say, they do have some cool models (Chase and the Prophet off the top of my head) and a bunch that are made in the US which is always important to me. They also have a great team w/ the CUT and all. But I've never been even a bit interested in buying one of their products. Not sure what it is - just don't.

Speaking of US MFG, there was a good article in USA Today on Tues, about the shortage in the US of skilled workers like machinists and such. I would guess that bicycle manufacturing would come under this group.
I have no clue what costs were involved, I wasn't there to discuss shareholdings, haha....
and man, I don't know, it would probably take quite a bit to turn them back around... They do have some solid road stuff, with their integrated bb's and whatnot... ahead of their time on that one... yeah, they really do have solid stuff but just not much demand at this time, lack of marketting and "cool" factor apparantly.
The van halen paint wasn't enough to push the chase, haha.
It's just mind boggling how the P-series Specs remain in such high demand given their super-bunk geometry and heavy weight, and the STP still sells even though it hasn't been made available with horiz. dropouts since it's inception like 2 decades ago (it feels like)...
Tough biz.
Once Cannondale becomes Chinese, do you think the kids will dig it and buy in?

...unfortunately, they may be following their short-lived MX bikes all the way downhill...

man, it's sad.
Same route as Schwinn and GT and mongoose, etc... all companies with defining histories. Sold as a label.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
IN MY OPION Cannondales bleeding edge stuff has always been what hurt them... Headshox and non standard sized parts....
Agree. Add the lefty fork to that list too. What about that bike that was supposed to revolution the cycling world? The designer was named Wong or something. Crazy design and I'm guessing Cannondale spent a ton of money on that project. Like you said, stuff like that hurt them badly.