Quantcast

US MFG at its best!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Sinister... except for canadian made gruitr (sp?). FTW mang.

Brew...

Liquor... remember someone posted a bit on them here awhile ago.

gotta mention GMD too, comin' up with some of the smoothest of smooth lines.

and yeah, quamen has come out with some pretty trick stuff... so-cal action I believe, unbelievably hot in Japan with the flatland crowds...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
most of cannondales high end bikes are made in the us but all the low en bikes the front and rear triangles are welded over sees and then they are welded together in pa so they can say they are us maid. How you like them apples
I've been to the cannondale factory, and I gotta say, it was some great stuff there... nice people, and the best part was their R&D "room", where they just cycle things through these machines until they break... and they do this for MANY respectable companies too, that we would never think of tying to c'dale... like FSA for example. Some of their prototyping was very cool too...

But, on that note, they did mention, sadly, that they are currently up for sale, and possibly being bought out by an overseas company... pretty unfortunate really. I guess even LeBron James' bank couldn't save'em all the way.

...anybody got some money laying around to save a good company with history, and possibly make the Chase a competitive bike in this market? haha....

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
One thing to point out (after thinking about it a bit) is that SandM is virtually mass producing bmx frames and parts here in the US. They are proving that it can be done and sourcing doesn't have to be done in all cases like our government/big corp's are saying it should.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Independent Fab.
Seven
Don't recall ever seeing any street/dj/park bikes come from them?

What about newly revamped Eastern Woods Research (EWR), the original woods bike, and chromoly none-the-less! At one time ridden by Jay DeJesus and Jeff Lenosky, among other names, to several trials wins, etc. This was like one of the ORIGINAL bikes to utilize the high bottom bracket height and super super short chainstays, we should all be giving respect to that action here in the big wheel arena!
I just wish the new supertherm ones weren't frickin' $1200!

But, I don't know if we need to go on and on listing out all american manufacturers here, regardless if they make a street/dj specific frame or not... but hey, it's not my thread.

Tiles, FBM is doing the same thing essentially.

And what about Kink? Are they still done up here?
hahaha, I've always been confused and thrown off when they say, Made in the ROC, what does that mean, are they talking about Taiwan ROC, the republic of china?????

and hey, Superduperco.
and Revenge Industries...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
they are chocking it up to fancy tubing, light weight and a pretty indestructable design I believe. I have no doubt Sundays are nice frames. Something about them coming from overseas when I can get really, really good US stuff for less $$$ just kills it for me...

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
when I can get really, really good US stuff for less $$$...
that makes complete sense to me.
i'd definitely pick up a T1, s&m, or solid without hesitation.
but i would at least think that jim c is outsourcing his work conscientiously.

ps: '07 sunday waves are 200 beans at dan's comp right now. nutters.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
But, on that note, they did mention, sadly, that they are currently up for sale, and possibly being bought out by an overseas company... pretty unfortunate really. I guess even LeBron James' bank couldn't save'em all the way.

...anybody got some money laying around to save a good company with history, and possibly make the Chase a competitive bike in this market? haha....
How much is C'dale on the block for? Not saying I have the money, but just curious. And what what would it take to make Cannondale profitable?

I have to say, they do have some cool models (Chase and the Prophet off the top of my head) and a bunch that are made in the US which is always important to me. They also have a great team w/ the CUT and all. But I've never been even a bit interested in buying one of their products. Not sure what it is - just don't.

Speaking of US MFG, there was a good article in USA Today on Tues, about the shortage in the US of skilled workers like machinists and such. I would guess that bicycle manufacturing would come under this group.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
most of cannondales high end bikes are made in the us but all the low en bikes the front and rear triangles are welded over sees and then they are welded together in pa so they can say they are us maid. How you like them apples
Very aware and its selling out. Diluting a brand is never a good idea....