Quantcast

US Open aftermath

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Maaaan, what a good time. Even though I KOed myself before qualifying and couldn't race, I got more riding in on that day than I have the entire previous year.

Shout out to SE monkeys who hammered the race:

Bloch, Herndon, Gerritt and Bond made the pro cut and Gerritt podiumed! CharlieM, Profrom and Charlie's buddy (sorry, headwound is blanking out names) hauled azz and baaarely missed the pro cut.

I know Jeff Braswell and Mark Ziska got top-50 in Ex. Motomike was up in the am mix somewhere as well and rode p;robably more than anybody that I know. Youth.

Fun, fun, fun.

Edit: Joey - sorry about the infidelity. I promise I'll ring my bell at the rock this year just so you don't think I'm leaving WR for a jersey girl.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
haromtnbiker said:
Motormichael got 23rd out of 301 in the amateur class. Impressive.
Flexcellent. Didn't know where he placed - glad to see he took time out of his busy play run schedule to kick ass.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks guys. That was a really fun weekend. My first trip up there was a good one. Can't wait to get back! All of those trails are pretty fun. Just wish the mtn was a little bit taller...

I had such a fun time doing runs with everybody this weekend. You know who you are. :thumb:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
not to worry jeff.
obviously that place has a first class trail system. i doubt you'll hear anyone say anything negative about their trails.
more power to them.
i'm sure if or when i finally make it up there, i'll probably babble on about the place too.

besides, they have a budget. i just have a thin wallet.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Didn't mean it like that at all - just felt bad that I gave a notch in the belt away to a one weekend stand. I'll be sure to smack a rear derailleur on Southern Rocks next time as an affirmation of my love.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dhbuilder said:
not to worry jeff.
obviously that place has a first class trail system. i doubt you'll hear anyone say anything negative about their trails.
more power to them.
i'm sure if or when i finally make it up there, i'll probably babble on about the place too.

besides, they have a budget. i just have a thin wallet.
Its all good.
They have the dough, the gondola and the location.
And by location, its so close to NYC they pull in a boatload of riders.
But they do not have the huge steep mountain that you have.
And both places have great terrain.
If I heal up, I may make Windrock this weekend.
I am in a Windrock and Snowshoe mood.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm even more sore today than I was yesterday and not from wrecks. My back feels like I've been doing power cleans at the gym and I've got wobbly legs so bad I can barely walk without limping. I'm so sore. Haven't slept since I got back either. But I'm still smiling.....

Hey Joey, Coal Creek needs to put in a lift.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
I am in a Windrock and Snowshoe mood.
now that's what i call a good mood.

sounds to me like everyone had a real good time.
how many different trails do they have there what kind of elevation loss is there ? just curious.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
now that's what i call a good mood.

sounds to me like everyone had a real good time.
how many different trails do they have there what kind of elevation loss is there ? just curious.
mathematicly, it's something like 1040ft, but it's a really wide mountain that is sort of flat and shallow up top. So you ride off to your left or right and start picking off trails. There are 6-7 that branch off Exodus if you turn left. There are too many to track if you head right. There are 3 different entrances on that side and the trails just squirt off at different angles from each entrance.

We thought we'd rode everything until CBJ put us on some trail that traversed the entire mountain. I'd say around 10 trails, 25+ options to link together, etc? Just a guess.

What makes them all seem that much better is they all lead to the exit of Lower Alpine and those massive high speed berms to finish each and every run...sort of if you got to hit the bottom of GT 4 at the end of each run with much bigger berms and some shallow booters and step up/step downs.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
thanks man. sounds like they've made the most of their mountain.

and as far as a lift goes.
i have a hard enough time as it is with some of the more "i'm gonna go wherever i want" bunch out there.
just imagine trying to keep a lift safe and secure out there.
at least it's a good road and a rather quick turnaround.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
bizutch said:
mathematicly, it's something like 750-800 ft, but it's a really wide mountain that is sort of flat and shallow up top. So you ride off to your left or right and start picking off trails. There are 6-7 that branch off Exodus if you turn left. There are too many to track if you head right. There are 3 different entrances on that side and the trails just squirt off at different angles from each entrance.

We thought we'd rode everything until CBJ put us on some trail that traversed the entire mountain. I'd say around 10 trails, 25+ options to link together, etc? Just a guess.
I found two more trails on the dominion side of the mtn. which went in between triple drop and the race course. Like you said, wayyyyy too many to count. We did a different run everytime down. I also saw a bunch of trails that went off of the race course too, so who knows...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
fixed it.

Yeah Mike..did you do that massive rock drop on Road to Nowhere? I called Jeremy and Matt on the drive home and said "Yo! I threw down my first senseless huck." Jeremy piped back: "They give you a free camelback for landing it?"