Quantcast

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
It can't be as stiff and the unsprung can't be lower?

What's the point?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Looks similar to a Curnutt fork. But I guess all inverted forks look similar to a degree.
Don't most upright forks look the same to a degree?

Same thing for derailleurs, handlebars, stems, shifters, saddles, seatposts, wheels, hubs, spokes, brakes, grips, rear shocks...

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Don't most upright forks look the same to a degree?

Same thing for derailleurs, handlebars, stems, shifters, saddles, seatposts, wheels, hubs, spokes, brakes, grips, rear shocks...
nah, spokes come in different colours and lengths.

Obviously my point wasn't articulated as well as it could have been, well played.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
nah, spokes come in different colours and lengths.

Obviously my point wasn't articulated as well as it could have been, well played.
This is why I love Ridemonkey. You got the joke/sarcasm, and butthurt was avoided.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
From the Pinkbike article;

"...The old argument of inverted forks having less torsional flex needs to be thrown out the window as it is far less relevant than most believe. Keeping in mind that the fork is well into its travel when being ridden, which stiffens the inverted chassis up greatly, the cliche test of pinching the front wheel between your legs and twisting really has no bearing in real world applications. It is also interesting to note that many forms of motorized sport actually build in a degree of lateral flex to allow the wheel to follow the smoothest line through a section - especially when leaned over in a corner - which allows it to track better in the rough."
Says who? Just because you want to believe the hype doesn't mean I have to.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
From the Pinkbike article;

Says who? Just because you want to believe the hype doesn't mean I have to.
Agreed.

Apart from lubrication I can see no positives in mountain bike applications.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Agreed.

Apart from lubrication I can see no positives in mountain bike applications.
and you surely know better than the Fox engineers right ?:thumb: Fox have rarely done silly things just for the sake of marketing and usually they seem to know what they're are doing.

Beside,I doubt they would throw money out the window if , they already knew an inverted chassis had no chance to provide advantages in mountain bike applications.I may turn up to be a major failure in the end but wether or not it goes into production one day, I still find it very interesting to see them pushing the envelope here.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
and you surely know better than the Fox engineers right ?:thumb: Fox have rarely done silly things just for the sake of marketing and usually they seem to know what they're are doing.

Beside,I doubt they would throw money out the window if , they already knew an inverted chassis had no chance to provide advantages in mountain bike applications.I may turn up to be a major failure in the end but wether or not it goes into production one day, I still find it very interesting to see them pushing the envelope here.
Just before this thread goes down in flames I want it on record that I think Fox roxks, and if they do a UD I'm sure it will be great... what winds me up is what appears to me to be mindlessly regurgitated blathering such as in the Pinkbike quote.

That is all. Resume the bonfire.
:popcorn:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
After the damping cartridge they also inverted their chassis...Any info on the tech insight the chassis? Do they work with airspring? Damping cartridge news?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Looks similar to a Curnutt fork. But I guess all inverted forks look similar to a degree.
Fox have been using what is basically a Curnutt Valve in their shocks so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine them at least trying it out in a fork? Then again that doesn't really have anything to do with how the fork looks, just an interesting possibilty.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm undecided till I see/ride them, but I'm at a loss as to how the unsprung weight could be lower?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i was wondering what rim he is using, i didnt even notice the forks.

I know shimano made XT rims or rebranded some to that, but anyone know about the Saint Rims ?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You'd have to wonder why, if torsional stiffness isn't that big a deal to them, they originally built the 40 so big and stiff in the first place.

USD forks make sense on motocross bikes, where you have 100kg of bike (instead of 15-20) plus rider smashing through whoops and braking hard from 150km/h, and the greater bushing overlap really makes a difference. They are incidentally stiff enough torsionally, given that the only thing the front wheel can actually twist AGAINST is the rider's arms... which are going to be similar strength regardless of whether you're on a MX bike or a DH bike, because they're built so beefy (20-25lbs?) to resist the longitudinal forces. The same can't be said for DH forks, so I'm curious to know why, after finally nailing all the issues that the 40s had (shortish seal life, blowing bladders out of the original dampers, stanchion wear, lack of compression in stock guise), giving them a product that is the stiffest on the market, reasonably light, and super high performance, that they chose to invert the fork. Being Fox, I'd be very surprised if it sucked, so maybe they've got some tricky magic going on in there... but JCL is actually right, they really aren't going to lower the unsprung mass by any significant margin and there's just no way they can build it as stiff. Yes various branches of motorsport have introduced some degree of lateral flex into their chassis/suspension systems, but next time you get your DH bike leaned over past 45 degrees on flat ground at 200km/h with 4" of rock hard suspension, come and tell us how relevant that is.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
welcome to visit to ed hardy shop,Ed Hardy fashion seems to have the main fashion world streaming. Major celebs like Sylvester Stallone among a great many others result in public places wearing ed hardy clothing. The appearance of Ed Hardy men's shirts are stoutly inspired by way of tattoos of ed hardy uk. The function in addition to intricate design inside the ed hardy uk dress is visible on stars and furthermore famous people globally.The innovation of ed hardy clothesreally provides a huge difference to the recurrent cut of any shirt sold by name. Metropolitan modern culture not to mention renewable life-style sort art is tailor-made down the sleeves of this tattoo-like ed hardy sale fashion.
Thanks Ed, that's awesome.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You'd have to wonder why, if torsional stiffness isn't that big a deal to them, they originally built the 40 so big and stiff in the first place.

USD forks make sense on motocross bikes, where you have 100kg of bike (instead of 15-20) plus rider smashing through whoops and braking hard from 150km/h, and the greater bushing overlap really makes a difference. They are incidentally stiff enough torsionally, given that the only thing the front wheel can actually twist AGAINST is the rider's arms... which are going to be similar strength regardless of whether you're on a MX bike or a DH bike, because they're built so beefy (20-25lbs?) to resist the longitudinal forces. The same can't be said for DH forks, so I'm curious to know why, after finally nailing all the issues that the 40s had (shortish seal life, blowing bladders out of the original dampers, stanchion wear, lack of compression in stock guise), giving them a product that is the stiffest on the market, reasonably light, and super high performance, that they chose to invert the fork. Being Fox, I'd be very surprised if it sucked, so maybe they've got some tricky magic going on in there... but JCL is actually right, they really aren't going to lower the unsprung mass by any significant margin and there's just no way they can build it as stiff. Yes various branches of motorsport have introduced some degree of lateral flex into their chassis/suspension systems, but next time you get your DH bike leaned over past 45 degrees on flat ground at 200km/h with 4" of rock hard suspension, come and tell us how relevant that is.
I agree. I was also very suprised that from all the companies Fox was the one to go with the USD. I actually thought the new fork Fraser was speaking about would be a lower diameter normal fork as 40s were crazy stiff and what other companies offered was enough for most (if not all) the riders.
Personally I don't understand such a polar move but who knows, maybe they are onto something.

i think USD forks achieves the same goals as a traditional mtb fork but in a different way. i just think they look cool, prob because they look "moto". honestly, having switched from a boxxer world cup to a dorado this season, i don't feel any difference. the lack of stiction and the compliance in the initial part of travel is similar to a recently maintained/properly lubricated boxxer

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well one advantage is the much better protected stanchions. Maybe because the shiver was my first dh fork I too have always like the look.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hope they make a 29er version like the dorado
Maybe thats why? I doubt fox sees 29ers as the future of DH, but I could see somebody wanting to pick up a few extra sales - long travel 29ers ARE becoming more popular, whether or not they become mainstream. I'm talking out of my ass here probably, since typically fox waits until something is VERY established before putting their foot in the water (180mm travel single crown?), but if they see a future in 29 inch wheels in a long travel application, it'll be less expensive for them to have 1 fork they can sell then 2.

Also, is anybody really complaining about stiffness in the current dorado? I remember hearing that rockshox specifically didn't go with the larger stantion diameter because they believed it cause the fork to be too stiff to track as well as it could and it was causing additional fatigue.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Dorado= suck. It has proven to suck.
Hmmm do you mean the old ones? Cause I haven't heard one bad thing about the new ones and I have owned 3 now that have been awesome! Please present some evidence if you are going to bash Manitou. I have heard all these bad things over the years but, they have ran great for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

come on...how could anybody NOT have predicted we'd come back to this?!?!?!?!

but srsly, it's just a way for fox to pitch their old **** and get new ****. I believe fully that USD forks are generally better for dual crown systems, when done right, but I think this is simply a gimic to get more riders on new stuff. Plus, if you develop a whole new chassis, you can force obsolescence, while nowadays riders with 06 40s can upgrade their dampers and get most of the performance of a 2011 fork. I saw a whole bunch of retrofitted 40s at the GRT, but he wouldn't touch my DHX. Thanks fox!

Weren't their rumors of the return of the shiver?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Also, is anybody really complaining about stiffness in the current dorado? I remember hearing that rockshox specifically didn't go with the larger stantion diameter because they believed it cause the fork to be too stiff to track as well as it could and it was causing additional fatigue.
But there's a difference between the inbuilt fork stanchion/crown compliance in a Boxxer and independent leg movement in a Dorado.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i was wondering what rim he is using, i didnt even notice the forks.

I know shimano made XT rims or rebranded some to that, but anyone know about the Saint Rims ?
i think the talk in SA was he was possibly using a prototype stans no-tubes DH rim.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Hmmm....

More laterally stiff, not likely, but that could be better in the rocks
More fore and aft stiffness, maybe, but the 40 is already very stiff
Less un-sprung weight, yes, but will anyone notice
Actual lubrication on the seals and bushings, definitely, a nice improvement

Of course these are my own e-speculations

Aug 4, 2008
I guess that they just want to point out that they have learned how to purchase proper seals for their forks. So now you can ride them upside down! And no oil spurts upon thy brakes!

However this new model also incorporates a special "WIN!" button to be used when your pit team calls you mid run, to notify you about 0.3s lead that SH has over you. One little nudge of the "WIN!" button and your back on track for total domination!