Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can a moderator please delete everything having to do with Demo9's dealings this weekend/fox service in general (start a new thread) and can we go back to discussing this interesting new prototype?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this thread:

tl;dr

but from a quick skim:

A) pecking order for service at races:

1 - factory team riders for the company
2 - other factory team riders sponsored by the company
3 - pros (racers)
4 - ams (racers)
5 - anyone else if they have time for them

dunno why this is so hard to grasp, its been this way for years and years and years

B) i loved my shiver (inverted fork). would be stoked to test out an inverted 40.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
B) i loved my shiver (inverted fork). would be stoked to test out an inverted 40.
I would be interesting to ride it again and see how it would feel today. I did really like my Shiver too. Super durable and very smooth but just to much weight for me to through around.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i hated my first gen Shiver. my Foes F1 was worlds better then the Shiver (except the awkward sized steerer tube in the Foes)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would be interesting to ride it again and see how it would feel today. I did really like my Shiver too. Super durable and very smooth but just to much weight for me to through around.
Do we know why the shiver was discontinued rather than updated?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No idea but my guess is they realized the build was too heavy and would not work for what customers were looking for at the time. The whole thing would have to be redesigned inside and out.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Forgive my ignorance but what is the requirement for them to work on your parts? Only to register for the race? The parts alone for Fox or Shimano would cover that and no one would need to run. Please let me know your thoughts.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Forgive my ignorance but what is the requirement for them to work on your parts? Only to register for the race? The parts alone for Fox or Shimano would cover that and no one would need to run. Please let me know your thoughts.
at the Pro GRT race before the US Open, Fox replaced a ton of non-racer's cartridges for free.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
i hated my first gen Shiver. my Foes F1 was worlds better then the Shiver (except the awkward sized steerer tube in the Foes)
These had a 30mm axle as well ? My brother-in-law had one way back ('97?), and from memory it was pretty good. Mind you, it was up against old Z1's, Judy's and maybe a Jt T... it'd be interesting to compare it to a modern fork.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
These had a 30mm axle as well ? My brother-in-law had one way back ('97?), and from memory it was pretty good. Mind you, it was up against old Z1's, Judy's and maybe a Jt T... it'd be interesting to compare it to a modern fork.
yeah, they came with 30mm Hadleys (4-rotor bolt) back then just like the new ones. the version i have is 6.5" but they later had a 8" "XL" version.
ive see a spy shot of an updated version of the F1 Wet One but nothing has come of it.
id love to mount mine to one of my DH bikes, but its still hanging on my wall.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
as did I....and I liked it better than the first 40 I rode in 06 or 05. It weighed a ton, but it worked. Stainless steel stanchions.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
First, thanks Todd. :)

Second, thought I'd post my 2 cents, forwhatever thats worth. Hopefully more rep than I can spend!

I think the reason Fox is making an inverted fork is because they've taken the 40 as far as they reasonably can, and the muppets that buy things always want new stuff. Lets be honest, I'd say that most of the riders out there can't really push a 40 anywhere near its limits of performance. Thats not a dig, just a fact that most of us aren't anywhere near world cup status and skills..
I don't claim to be a DH racer, I was into the freeride thing and my 2006 Fox 40 RC2 was easily the best long travel fork I ever owned, amongst a big number of Marzocchi Jnr-T, Super T-Pro, 888R, 888RC, Rockshox Boxxers and Totems, lyrics, domains, etc.

Fox 40 = super confidence

the inverted fork looks interesting for sure ;)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
It's nice to know I'm ahead of the curve for a change. Went back to inverted mid-season last year and liking it:

Maybe this was already mentioned but isn't one of the major advantages of the inverted design the larger bushing overlap? Plus, wouldn't internal volume of the uppers give you some more leeway in designing damping circuits with larger oil volumes?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's nice to know I'm ahead of the curve for a change. Went back to inverted mid-season last year and liking it:

Maybe this was already mentioned but isn't one of the major advantages of the inverted design the larger bushing overlap? Plus, wouldn't internal volume of the uppers give you some more leeway in designing damping circuits with larger oil volumes?
Look at the change in fox 40 oil volumes in recent years and tell me they want to use more oil ;)

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
can a moderator please delete everything having to do with Demo9's dealings this weekend/fox service in general (start a new thread)
I would if I could, it's such a waste to read the replies in a hijacked thread. It would be alot easier to read without all this upside down fork chit chat in the way.

+1 for new thread and then let the drama/bashing continue there

btw, that proto fork looks beefy and miss my Shiver too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I guess I was just thinking in terms of heat dissipation; but if they're getting more with less already I see your point. Plus, lubricants themselves just seem to be getting better.
I would actually want them to run a bit more oil and a more maintanance free system. Im not really anal about how often I service my fork but since they change it why not go that way.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Fox wouldnt touch anything at the US open
That's weird because a buddy of mine who just bought a new 2011 Kashi 40 had some knock issues that the FOX techs fixed for him in less than an hour...

Did you show the techs how many bikes you had before asking them to work on your gear?

:D

I agree with what Socket said a few pages back - but it will be interesting to see where FOX goes with it. That fact that they want to experiment and try something new is what race development programs and R&D are all about. THIS is what evolves the tech side of the sport. Just because they are testing something doesn't necessarily mean it is a product that is slated for production. Recall the slippery silver stanchions that Gee, Rache, and others were riding a few years ago - those never made it past testing.

Good on FOX for trying something new.

Last edited:

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Recall the slippery silver stanchions that Gee, Rache, and others were riding a few years ago - those never made it past testing.

Good on FOX for trying something new.
The silver didn't work, but kashima did. If inverted doesn't work, maybe they'll try a linkage fork with an RP23 :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hoping for rep? Yeah, sure. Because some imaginary points on a bulletin board about push bikes is what I live for, along with the respect of people I've never met and probably never will. I made that comment because he seems to be bitching about not getting free service to correct his own failings. If you go to a race with forks that aren't right, and moan when you turn up to said free service and are rejected... tough luck.

They got their forks fixed, so why would they be moaning? Fail yourself.
Sorry for your butthurtation.

--

On a more useful note:

Shivers had good dampers, were boat anchors, and the deflection was an issue if you had any weight to you.

Nothing against inverted forks; Shivers (despite my disdain) were popular, the original TPC Dorados were high maintenance, but pretty sweet, the WB forks -- never touched em, but they got great feedback.

Im good at scratching up my lowers, but as long as the stanchion guards are well designed, not an issue.

Im feelin the love people give the new dorado, wouldnt mind one, but I've bled enough money this season already...

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I tried, it basically went like so. alternating between me and fox, starting with me

hey whats up, i have a broken fork, can you fix it

certainly, whats wrong with it

It isnt leaking anywhere, but it got soft all of a sudden, i can easily bottom it out leaning on it, and it gets about 4 inches of sag, i think its the top out spring, i opened it up real quick to check the spring, and i saw nothing blatently wrong with it.

are you racing, this weekend

yes, both races

ok cool, why isnt this fork on your bike

it was until it broke, but i took it off because i have a qualifier, i hope to use it tomorrow if i can get it fixed

Well we only fix forks for racers (i'm not racing?) If you want us to fix it, you will have to come back with it mounted on your bike with a number plate

I have a qualifier in 10 minutes, i cant put it on right now

We cannot help you than

can i bring you my number plate?

no.
This seems fair to me.... if they happily work on stuff that isn't mounted onto a racer's bike everyone will be trucking in with their buddy's broken gear to get a free fix... something they obviously have to nip in the bud.

Idahoo

Chimp
Apr 21, 2009
Fox must be confident in their prototype fork with this inverted design. If not, there is no way they would have a HUGE name in DH riding the fork for a practice run, especially on a course where he's getting his photo taken at least 50 times on the way down. Props to Fox for going to a new design to at least explore what else can be done to bring something different to the table.

At least for myself, I'll be watching closely at the WC's and other big races through-out the year to see if anyone else pops up on one of these prototype inverted forks or if Gee happens to sport it again.